Chronic pain and raised blood sugars

Pete46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I have long term chronic pain in many joints due to having hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and sustaining numerous injuries and dislocations over the years, I can only take paracetamol which barely works so I avoid taking it unless really necessary and I hardly sleep as I cannot get comfortable in bed.

I have a second knee replacement in June 2018 which reduced some of the pain in that knee but now my left knee which was replaced 16 years ago is starting to fail. My blood sugars shot up after the surgery last year which is to be expected, my HbA1c was 64 in August and the nurse wanted to prescribe metformin etc but I insisted on waiting and having another HbA1c as a consequence two months later it had dropped to 55.

After a short while though my daily readings stopped going down and were starting to creep back up plus my weight was not shifting. In April 2019 I reduced the size of my breakfast but after a month and half reading my were still not going down so I cut out breakfast completely and now only have the one meal a day in the evening which is often a Diet Doctor recipe or just meat and low carb vegetables. I am always hungry and sometimes it is so bad I have a chunk of cheese or a few nuts as a morning snack, I will have 3-4 coffees with cream in a day and these are usually decaffeinated, the rest of the time I drink water plus a rum and diet coke once or twice a week.

My morning readings often hit double figures and my reading before dinner, 24 hour fasting, are 7s or 8s only very occasionally in the 6s with an average rise of 1.5 after dinner.

I know my HbA1c, which is due soon, will have gone up from the 55 in October 18 though it should not as high as the 64 in August 18.

I cannot exercise though I do hoover the house twice a week and do a bit of light gardening regularly.

I understand that long term chronic pain causes physical stress which can raise blood glucose levels: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/stress-and-blood-glucose-levels.html but I am at a loss as to what else I can do to reverse this without going back on metformin. I would at the very lease like to lose some weight as I am only a few pounds from the weight I was when I first started low carbing in 2016 and it is a lot for my knees to carry.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi All

I have long term chronic pain in many joints due to having hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and sustaining numerous injuries and dislocations over the years, I can only take paracetamol which barely works so I avoid taking it unless really necessary and I hardly sleep as I cannot get comfortable in bed.

I have a second knee replacement in June 2018 which reduced some of the pain in that knee but now my left knee which was replaced 16 years ago is starting to fail. My blood sugars shot up after the surgery last year which is to be expected, my HbA1c was 64 in August and the nurse wanted to prescribe metformin etc but I insisted on waiting and having another HbA1c as a consequence two months later it had dropped to 55.

After a short while though my daily readings stopped going down and were starting to creep back up plus my weight was not shifting. In April 2019 I reduced the size of my breakfast but after a month and half reading my were still not going down so I cut out breakfast completely and now only have the one meal a day in the evening which is often a Diet Doctor recipe or just meat and low carb vegetables. I am always hungry and sometimes it is so bad I have a chunk of cheese or a few nuts as a morning snack, I will have 3-4 coffees with cream in a day and these are usually decaffeinated, the rest of the time I drink water plus a rum and diet coke once or twice a week.

My morning readings often hit double figures and my reading before dinner, 24 hour fasting, are 7s or 8s only very occasionally in the 6s with an average rise of 1.5 after dinner.

I know my HbA1c, which is due soon, will have gone up from the 55 in October 18 though it should not as high as the 64 in August 18.

I cannot exercise though I do hoover the house twice a week and do a bit of light gardening regularly.

I understand that long term chronic pain causes physical stress which can raise blood glucose levels: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/stress-and-blood-glucose-levels.html but I am at a loss as to what else I can do to reverse this without going back on metformin. I would at the very lease like to lose some weight as I am only a few pounds from the weight I was when I first started low carbing in 2016 and it is a lot for my knees to carry.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi my daughter has the same condition, ED as she calls it and her daughter too, who is my granddaughter. She was helped by a wheelchair for a couple of years when it was quite bad and painful. Last year she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when pregnant and it went away after baby was born. I completely understand how you must be feeling.
Take care and I wish you well.

Suz2

I have long term chronic pain as well and it does affect blood sugars, as you noted.

Since you've tried diet and exercise is not an option it sounds like it might be time for medication. I know it isn't the preferred option, but it might be just the thing to get you bs under better control which benefits your overall health, as you know.

Sucks, but might be the answer

BTW I'm on insulin, not my favorite, but it's a tool that works for me.

dipsydo

As others have said , if you are very low carb and it is not working then may be time to consider meds . One thought is that Diet Coke although nil carbs is thought to trigger an insulin response and insulin can produce an increase in weight . Could you for a couple of weeks try the rum with say sparkling water instead of Diet Coke ? Another is to move your main meal to earlier in the day , may not be practical but if it is may be worth a try.

As regards exercise l wonder if you have considered aquafit as exercise, if you have a class near you and in a pool which is newish so has lifts into the pool then might be exercise with minimal strain on knees and easy to get into the pool.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask why you don’t want to go back on Metformin? I can understand you don’t want to go back on it if you have side effects. However my opinion is that it might just be really useful for you. I take it and it curbs my appetite so it has helped me loose a shed load of weight. I do low carb (30-50g/day) three meals a day and take 3 x 500mg of Metformin/day. This combination keeps my weight stable now and my HbA1cs in the mid 30s.

Pete46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will ask the DN for slow release Metformin if my HbA1c is as bad as I thing it will be, she is totally clueless about low carb diets but does like to rpiscribe medication, better that than contiually rising numbers though.

Thanks everyone for all the input.