Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I treated myself today to a tub of clotted cream, just the normal one from a chain supermarket. I had two heaped desert spoonfuls with three strawberrys. At less than three grams of carbs per one hundred grams it seems fine to me to have it as a treat occasionally. I would normally have my berries with Greek yoghurt or double cream.
Is there any reason not to have clotted cream every now and again?

Reactions: dbr10 and Rachox

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why did you waste it on strawberries?.. i just spoon it out of the tub into me...
If other people see me do that, I get the cholesterol and fat lecture or they go green round the gills, so my eating cream from the pot with a spoon habit is done in secret.

I drink double cream though, saves the washing up...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great! That's puddin' sorted for the next few days

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

Many years ago before I came to Australia I worked in a butcher shop that sold clotted cream for a local dairy farm. It was a nice warm goldy colour.

As part of my wages I had so much free meat and eggs a week, then I got given a carton of the cream as well.

I have never liked cream so with my share of the carton of cream, I spoon fed our cat with it who loved it. I only had to wave a tea spoon around and the cat used to get up from it's spot and be ready for a feed.

It used to p!ss my parents off no end. :meh:

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I treated myself today to a tub of clotted cream, just the normal one from a chain supermarket. I had two heaped desert spoonfuls with three strawberrys. At less than three grams of carbs per one hundred grams it seems fine to me to have it as a treat occasionally. I would normally have my berries with Greek yoghurt or double cream.
Is there any reason not to have clotted cream every now and again?
No reason at all as it's low in carbs and only slightly higher in carbs than double cream.

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My DIL brings me real Devonshire clotted cream whenever she pays a visit to her family. I've told her she doesn't visit them often enough! Now I can tell her she has to go because it's good for my heath :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I love clotted cream, just a pity we can't have the scones and jam with it anymore :grumpy::arghh::sorry:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a recipe using almond flour and sweetener. It is not low carb that I feel restricts me it is that sweetener is in so many low carb recipes. I've stopped looking.

Reactions: VioletViolet

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a recipe using almond flour and sweetener. It is not low carb that I feel restricts me it is that sweetener is in so many low carb recipes. I've stopped looking.
Funny you should say that I'm just Googling …

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup low carb jam and scone recipes a plenty but they do all have sweeteners in. What is the problem with sweeteners?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yup low carb jam and scone recipes a plenty but they do all have sweeteners in. What is the problem with sweeteners?

It is a personal opinion but sweeteners are just as toxic as table sugar, if not more so.
For some people they can cause weight gain and for others they cause the death of parts of the gut biome and for others they can cause inflamation of the gut wall. I read Moseley's book on gut health and it is an eye opener but I have felt this way for a long time after discovering the risks associated with aspartame which I had used for twenty years. There was a piece on sweeteners here by the DCUKnewsbot saying the short term risk was said to be neglible but that the jury is out on long term use. Twenty years constitutes long term, I think.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use keto Swedish breakfast buns (almond flour, seeds, psyllium husk, sour cream, eggs, olive oil), whipped double cream, and how many blueberries my low-carbing can take :). I find this an excellent scones and jam substitute, I don't miss them. (Well, not much!)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago before I came to Australia I worked in a butcher shop that sold clotted cream for a local dairy farm. It was a nice warm goldy colour.

As part of my wages I had so much free meat and eggs a week, then I got given a carton of the cream as well.

I have never liked cream so with my share of the carton of cream, I spoon fed our cat with it who loved it. I only had to wave a tea spoon around and the cat used to get up from it's spot and be ready for a feed.

It used to p!ss my parents off no end. :meh:
That cat is living the life I want to live!

Reactions: Guzzler

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a personal opinion but sweeteners are just as toxic as table sugar, if not more so.
For some people they can cause weight gain and for others they cause the death of parts of the gut biome and for others they can cause inflamation of the gut wall. I read Moseley's book on gut health and it is an eye opener but I have felt this way for a long time after discovering the risks associated with aspartame which I had used for twenty years. There was a piece on sweeteners here by the DCUKnewsbot saying the short term risk was said to be neglible but that the jury is out on long term use. Twenty years constitutes long term, I think.
I feel the same as you regarding sweetners. Plus I am sure if I start to normalise eating low sugar versions of all the sweet stuff that got me into this mess I will open the floodgates and tempt my taste buds into eating junk again. Slippery slope for me!

Reactions: Ultramum