Co-codamol

G

graj0

I bought some cocodomol in the pharmacy that my father uses as I was picking up his prescription and the pharmacist didn't refuse but asked whether I realised that it contains Sorbitol (A sugar alcohol). I asked whether this was the reason that some pharmacists might refuse selling cocodomol to a diabetic and he said "Probably", but in his case, he would only point out the Sorbitol content as it was up the diabetic person how much sugar they consumed.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
sugar in pain killers ..... what next ...I never knew the tablets had a sugar content my mum takes them to ease her arthritic pain I however can not take anything containing codein as it causes constipation and already have IBS.

Joy19752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem was that the stronger cocodomol (30/500) has never been on repeat which is fair enough, no problems there, it just means that I have to see the GP first and you can guess when I will get the chance to see her . . . . . . next week sometime. That is why I just wanted some over the counter stuff (8/500 or 12/500). I think my real whinge is that I felt like I was being treated like an idiot, I'm not taking them for fun and I do need something otherwise the physio doesn't get done with the same intensity, basically because it hurts and the body will only allow so much before your head tells it "OK, I'll give it a rest now".
The other thing is that I've now forked out for paracetamol which is as much use as a chocolate teapot, really not fit for purpose when it comes to the fairly intense back pains.
I'm more than happy with my new knee, but it's really quite weird how you end up using slightly different muscles because you're not protecting the knee joint anymore. Even the sciatica which I get on the other side is a lot calmer and hasn't really flared up since the operation whereas I was having to see the chiropractor every week, or take cocodomol, depending on money.
Onwards and upwards, I will be seeing the GP and having a frank discussion about pain management while I'm trying to do the physio and basically get around on a day to day basis. I'm trying to be as independent as possible and not become a permanent patient, I'd be out of luck anyway, my wife does not do, and I have never expected, being waited on. I still do the shopping and the cooking etc.
Dear sir,
You might I have felt as if you were being treated like an idiot by the staff at Sainsbury's and boots but they were saving your life. A little dramatic I know and this reply is years after your original posting but I simply had to reply of course the safe might have guessed that you needed the co codamol for pain relief from you new knee I really don't want to scare anyone but please don't get angry with the staff when they say no!
My husband is diabetic, and last year he had both knees replaced wonderful hooray he could run around after our grandchildren like a sort of two year old he's 62 just btw. But hey ho just last week tendonititis reared its ugly head again this was the second time since his operation so whilst waiting for his infamitary injection next week his GP prescribed cocodomol. Now he is in A E confused and dazed after passing out he is suffering from concussion from the blackout and they may have to operated today. When I go and see him this morning I expect him to have no memory of yesterday afternoon when he had just collected his new prescription. To see him so confused was very freighting. It could have been worse, I won't know until I see him today. Now when we should be celebrating his brothers birthday we as a family are wondering what next. Please be careful people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am not allowed any of these drugs under any circumstances. If paracetamol can't handle it I just have to put up with it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a few gram of sugar can´t destroy everything if it is only for a few days... if one is really ill and in servere pain ... but why on earth do they put sugar in in the first place

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think they have been referring to the Mary Poppins pharmacological guide.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I thought ibuprofen tablets was ones mixed with sugar not codeine or paracetamol?
Ibuprofen gel ok to use on painful joints etc. GP has prescribed instead in the past.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's reactions to co-codamol @Joy19752 . i wish him a speedy recovery. Can you let us know how he gets on?