Co-codamol

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Osteoarthritis , I've had my left knee done two years and I've been taking 8 x 30/500 cocodomol waiting for right knee op which was due end of February because of cut backs I've been out on hold. Pain and lack of sleep has upset my bs , I can't go for a walk with my knee and hip so stiff. Getting stronger pain killers from my gp is like asking for the Crown Jewels
Worrying time for you hope you get back on track soon ::))

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Osteoarthritis , I've had my left knee done two years and I've been taking 8 x 30/500 cocodomol waiting for right knee op which was due end of February because of cut backs I've been out on hold. Pain and lack of sleep has upset my bs , I can't go for a walk with my knee and hip so stiff. Getting stronger pain killers from my gp is like asking for the Crown Jewels

Aaaww that does sound so painful, (((((((( hugs )))))))

RRB x

Last edited by a moderator:
G

graj0

Hi Lorraine,
sorry to hear of your arthritis problems, I think I mentioned earlier on that I tolerated knee pain for many years and relied upon cocodomol which as you know has it's own side effects and doesn't always hit the spot. I get the very definite impression that the more you do to help yourself and the more you keep quiet, the more that you're quietly forgotten.
It really seems to be a complete lottery as to whether you get seen to or not. I was continually told that I was too young, great what are you supposed to do in the meantime and how old do you want me to be?
I've had to tolerate pharmacists who seem to think I'm a junky, pay for my own physio/PT to try and strengthen muscles to ease the load, made considerable efforts to lose the weight I gained after my GP prescribed Rosiglitazone AND Citilapram and by considerable I mean down to 1200 calories a day MAX, usually less than 1000, and still put up with GPs not having a clue as to why calorie deprivation doesn't work consistently, just when it feels like working, also paying £17 a tube for something called Flexiseq which is now available in the UK. Without question, strengthening muscles, losing weight, Flexiseq and cocodomol have made a huge difference, but by doing that my plight if you can call it that is ignored. In the end I went privately and my left knee is now only 8 weeks old, at least I've now got a knee warranted for a thirty years, so it doesn't matter how young I am. The knee doesn't hurt, but there's all sorts of other bits that do because they're now being called up to do things they're not used to. I'm pleased to say that my surgeon has written a strongly worded letter to my GP to emphasise the importance of pain relief while I'm doing physio. From experience I know that if I hurt too much, I don't do the exercises.
Most people don't like being a nuisance and we're taken advantage of, may I suggest that you make more of a noise about the state of your knee, get referred back to the consultant. I wrote a list of the things that I couldn't do, could do with effort, could do easily, silly things like getting in and out of bed, walking up and down stairs, walking to the shops, traveling anywhere, I included everything and anything. I still ended up going private but I've now got the best prosthetic and team of people helping me to get back on the road.
I hope you find a good solution to your dilemma. Try the list if you haven't already, I filled a sheet of A4, no problem, I think my GP took me seriously when I sort of, kind of, intimated becoming a burden on society requiring constant care to aid mobility, like house alterations, mobility scooter etc I suppose you could say I played their game. Mind you, I'd probably have to pay for myself anyway.

Reactions: 6 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hi Lorraine,
sorry to hear of your arthritis problems, I think I mentioned earlier on that I tolerated knee pain for many years and relied upon cocodomol which as you know has it's own side effects and doesn't always hit the spot. I get the very definite impression that the more you do to help yourself and the more you keep quiet, the more that you're quietly forgotten.
It really seems to be a complete lottery as to whether you get seen to or not. I was continually told that I was too young, great what are you supposed to do in the meantime and how old do you want me to be?
I've had to tolerate pharmacists who seem to think I'm a junky, pay for my own physio/PT to try and strengthen muscles to ease the load, made considerable efforts to lose the weight I gained after my GP prescribed Rosiglitazone AND Citilapram and by considerable I mean down to 1200 calories a day MAX, usually less than 1000, and still put up with GPs not having a clue as to why calorie deprivation doesn't work consistently, just when it feels like working, also paying £17 a tube for something called Flexiseq which is now available in the UK. Without question, strengthening muscles, losing weight, Flexiseq and cocodomol have made a huge difference, but by doing that my plight if you can call it that is ignored. In the end I went privately and my left knee is now only 8 weeks old, at least I've now got a knee warranted for a thirty years, so it doesn't matter how young I am. The knee doesn't hurt, but there's all sorts of other bits that do because they're now being called up to do things they're not used to. I'm pleased to say that my surgeon has written a strongly worded letter to my GP to emphasise the importance of pain relief while I'm doing physio. From experience I know that if I hurt too much, I don't do the exercises.
Most people don't like being a nuisance and we're taken advantage of, may I suggest that you make more of a noise about the state of your knee, get referred back to the consultant. I wrote a list of the things that I couldn't do, could do with effort, could do easily, silly things like getting in and out of bed, walking up and down stairs, walking to the shops, traveling anywhere, I included everything and anything. I still ended up going private but I've now got the best prosthetic and team of people helping me to get back on the road.
I hope you find a good solution to your dilemma. Try the list if you haven't already, I filled a sheet of A4, no problem, I think my GP took me seriously when I sort of, kind of, intimated becoming a burden on society requiring constant care to aid mobility, like house alterations, mobility scooter etc I suppose you could say I played their game. Mind you, I'd probably have to pay for myself anyway.
Hello Grijo, I have phoned my gp this morning and got an appointment on Friday . I like the idea of playing them at there own game , so I'm making a list to take with me . I've been working on my weight lchf and it's helped my bs and I've lost 8 lbs . I work in retail full time and my team support me as I can't climb a step ladder to get stock or rush about like I used to .
I'm going to give swimming a go to try tone up my muscles.
Thank you for taking the time to reply and I hope you continue to be pain free in that left knee I'm sure all the other achy bits will get better as you heal and get stronger.

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I've never had any probelms in getting Co-codamol from local pharmacies and Tesco etc. Yes, they sometimes ask whether I've used it before and understand it and it's never been a problem. The 8/500 version is hardly going to make you addicted unless you are stupid. In New Zealand we bought the 30/500 variety over the counter! In the USA of course Codeine is banned so it's a lottery

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
There so up themselves with pain killers etc, as if we are all going to be addicts, bonkers, i've taken assorts including benzo's but have always used them to help and have never become addicted. Just try other pharmacy's you can use paracetamol and ibrufin together which may help better, just don't use over there individual recommended doses. even GP's don't trust us these days, really makes me angry as we are responsible adults, it seems if you use heroin you can then get methadone forever. barking

sallybee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lots of people
I cant remember how long Ive been on Co-codamol 500/30 for. They are on repeats along with Ibruprofen, and Tramadol. Im sure Im hooked, but as pain is my bedpartner it really isnt an issue!

I am also definitely hooked on Venlafaxine, Quetiapine & Tegretol, but as they enable me to function its a fine balance with risks worth taking.

What about metformin? Is that another addictive drug?

G

graj0

What about metformin? Is that another addictive drug?
I don't think so, at least I've never heard it mentioned as such. I took it for 6 years then I took Rosiglitazone for 5 years, now on Metformin again. I didn't feel that I missed metformin, especially as it used to give me the most awful diarrhea. Not so bad now I know to keep my carbs low.

sallybee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lots of people
Well if i get the trots with it, perhaps I will lose some weight, or is that wishful thinking?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem was that the stronger cocodomol (30/500) has never been on repeat which is fair enough, no problems there, it just means that I have to see the GP first and you can guess when I will get the chance to see her ..

I'd ask about that, I get my 30/500 on repeat

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get co codamol 30/500 on repeat. Now i am on repeat prescription for tramadol which is a controlled drug, if i fall or my muscle pain gets really bad then i get co codamol 8/500 on repeat prescription.

G

graj0

I'd ask about that, I get my 30/500 on repeat
GP has now received letter from my knee surgeon, reminding my GP of the importance of adequate pain control when doing physiotherapy. Still not on repeat which isn't such a big deal, the four days I've waited so far for confirmation of a water infection is much more of a problem, so long as it is a water infection.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I walk 5 to 6 miles daily to try lower sugar level so my knees are starting to suffer however I have not taken any pain killers for them as of yet and am hoping not to ..my mother takes co-codmol for her arthritis and I do not think they help her at all does the body not get used to this pain killer over time?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on it for some years now and I certianly notice it if i forget to take them, so I don;t think I'm used to them

mazz33

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I have been taking cocodamol on and off for a few years. I went in a pharmacy that I don't usually go in today and they asked if I was diabetic and when I said yes they refused to sell me any!
First time that's happened. I've googled but I can't find anything saying why. Nothing on the packaging.

This pharmacy refused to sell me something once before and really humiliated me so I'm wondering if it's a personal thing! I only went there as it was closer. Won't be going again.

Anyone else refused cocodamol specifically because of diabetes?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
RRB, we are both right, Tramadol is a Schedule 3 drug and requires 2 signatures to dispense and can be handwritten or printed. I was talking about Schedule 2 drugs that can be only filled out by hand, such drugs as Morphine, Methadone, Oxycodone and Dexamphetamine. Hope this clarifies things

I currently use a Transtec 35 micrograms/h bupronorphine patch which is a synthesised morphine and a Schedule 3 controlled drug, I have never had a hand written prescription for it. Previous to that I used BuTrans patches and before that everything from co codamol through tramadol, gabapintin and pregabalin to DF118 40mg Codeine. Never had a hand written prescription for any of them.

The prescriptions are only ever signed by my doctor, 1 signature but perhaps the two signatures arise where a nurse has signed the script and it requires a doctors signature to confirm it.

I am required to sign the back of the prescription since schedule 2 and 3 drugs require the users signature on collection, but the usual script is just typed out as any normal prescription is.

Last edited by a moderator:

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Mollywallop I had same problem before in a strange pharmacy. I go toy local one now and can have them. I explained that I am allowed them by doctor. Have you talked to your doctor?

G

graj0

Anyone else refused cocodamol specifically because of diabetes?

I have had problems in the past, now I actually say that I take Metformin for diabetes and I've never been refused. The pharmacies I've had problems with are Boots, Rowlands (except for one particular branch), Sainsburys. The smaller independents seem to be great. It is embaressing being made to feel like a junkie. I did lose it once which didn't help, I tried to explain that I didn't take them for fun, I took them for the constant pain I was in, if I was to take their advice and see my GP for a prescription I'd be in more and more pain for at least I week before getting a script. I added that as the NHS didn't have two brass farthings to rub together me buying the stuff over the counter was saving them money. They weren't impressed, incredible jobs worth, they dispense drugs not prescribe them.
Interestingly codeine used to be used in the treatment of diabetes in the late 1800s, there are some articles in the BMJ of that era. I can just imagine taking a copy into the pharmacist.