Cocoa powder consumption

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am thinking of putting a teaspoon of organic cocoa powder which has carbs 14g in 100g nutritional value in my pea protein powder for flavour.

How is your experience with the consumption of cocoa powder? Do you think it raises blood sugar?

Appreciate a reply.

Kind regards

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So generally a teaspoon is 5g, making the carbs 0.7g, I used to add cocoa powder to things and it never effected me but I suppose it depends how sensitive to carbs you personally are so unfortunately its a question only you can work on finding an answer for through testing xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One teaspoon (4g approx) of cocoa powder with a count of 14g carbs per 100g would work out at less than 1g of carbohydrate. If you want to know how that might affect your blood sugars the only way is to test before and after consumption

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am thinking of putting a teaspoon of organic cocoa powder which has carbs 14g in 100g nutritional value in my pea protein powder for flavour.

How is your experience with the consumption of cocoa powder? Do you think it raises blood sugar?

Appreciate a reply.

Kind regards
As the others stated, it's relative... If you were eating cocoa powder by the pound, it'd be a different issue. It's a teaspoon. It's probably got marginally less carbs in that the protein powder. ;)

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your valuable comments. I will test it and will take decision accordingly.

M

Member496333

It's very high in oxalate if you care about that sort of thing, but from a blood glucose perspective you'd probably have to be chugging it back just to get the needle to move.