Coconut Flour Carb Count?

SweetHeart

Having, I thought, perfected IanD's fabulous porridge recipe, I was sitting enjoying my bowl of it when I thought I would check the carb count thoroughly. My porridge today has;

2 Dsp ground amlonds
2 Dsp ground flaxseed (mixed light & dark)
2 Dsp Coconut Flour
2 Dsp mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, flax, sesame, hemp)
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
1 Dsp cream
sweetener to taste
water

Now, I've added two heaped dessert spoons of coconut flour to my version of the porridge and my bag of CF doesn't have any nutritional info printed on it, but I read a while back that CF was low carb so I guesstimated going on my pack of unsweetened dessicated coconut - 6.1g carb per 100g. It's the same stuff but ground up, right?

This morning's trawl through t'interweb has confused me. There are any number of conflicting carb counts for CF out there. So should I miss out the CF from my porridge? :crazy: Will my seeds help my porridge be low GI?

Advice, opinions and help appreciated!

Ju

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Did a quick search on fatsecret.com and they have coconut flour listed as 9grms of carb in 2 tablespoons.
But apparently alot of it is fibre, does that make sense?

Defren

dawnmc said:
Did a quick search on fatsecret.com and they have coconut flour listed as 9grms of carb in 2 tablespoons.

I just looked on my fitness pal and it's the same. 9g for 2 tablespoons.

SweetHeart

Dang! I'll have to cut it out of my porridge. I'm still well into Ketosis and I don't want to jeopardise that. It's a shame because it gives the porridge a good texture.

Ju

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
The carb content of coconut flour is quite high so fine to use as you deduct the fiber from the carbs. will look up exactly and post
carole

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
hello me again.

1.5 gr fat =1gr sat.
10 gr carbs with 9gr fiber = 1 gr net carbs to only 1!!
2 gr protein

Good news for porridge lovers so enjoy!!
have not yet tried it myself and have posted a question on it ( but think it must have got lost on another board)
still finding my way around ha. ha.( how long will it take me I ask myself !!
carole

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wish I didn't loathe cococnut. It's one of very few foods I simply hate. Although ODDLY, I like fresh coconut, but dessicated or cocnut flavour things. I CANNOT EAT. currently, I'm trying cocnut oil and it's like taking medicine. I pretty much have to hold my nose.
I'm sure it's a valuable food though
Hana

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I get my CF from an Indian shop & it doesn't have the data on it.
According to Collins Gem Carb counter, dessicated coconut has 1.3 g carb in 2 tabsp, so less then 1 in 2 dsp.
Fibre is 2.7, so 1.4.
CF carbs are therefore insignificant - enjoy.

SweetHeart

Ian you are a *star* several times over! :clap:

Thank you very much for sharing your porridge recipe in the first place - it has been a life saver, and soooo it's comforting! :thumbup:

Hana, I don't find that the coconut flour has a strong coconut flavour at all - I was quite surprised by this.

Thank you to Timps too; you'll soon find your way about!

Ju

mrawfell

Very interesting. I live in the Philippines now, and coconuts are readily available. However they are fresh, not shipped of course. I don't know if the freshness matters. However I like coconut so it will become part of my diet. There is also readily available under ripe coconuts. The flesh inside these is soft, and easily removed, and quite tastey. Must try it and check my BG level.