Coconut Milk Spike

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Hello, have you ever experienced a glucose level due to coconut milk?

Today I had a homemade chicken kurma made with chicken, onions, coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, cardamom and cumin. My reading rose to 9.1 (maybe higher) an hour after my meal.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Today I had a homemade chicken kurma made with chicken, onions, coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, cardamom and cumin. My reading rose to 9.1 (maybe higher) an hour after my meal.
I would have still liked to have seen the reading 2hrs later too. Was your fbg affected?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Did you have anything with the Kurma. Blue dragon coconut milk is listed as having about 3.5 grams of carbs per 100ml not huge amount still every one tends to react differently where carbs are concerned I would just avoid it from now on if you feel the spike was too high or too prolonged.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Personally I think 1 hour after a meal is to soon to judge. After 2 hours is usually recommended

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
I would have still liked to have seen the reading 2hrs later too. Was your fbg affected?
Hi Ickinhun,

My preprandial reading was 5.5 mol/l
15 minutes post prandial 6.9
1h 10m post prandial 9.1
1h 30m 8.1
2h 20m 5.8

I am really confused by this because coconut milk is meant to be good for diabetics.

I shall try this same meal again on Thursday.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Did you have anything with the Kurma. Blue dragon coconut milk is listed as having about 3.5 grams of carbs per 100ml not huge amount still every one tends to react differently where carbs are concerned I would just avoid it from now on if you feel the spike was too high or too prolonged.
Hi John,

No, I had no carbs at all; just the kurma. It was cooked in a slow cooker only with the ingredients, no oils, nothing else. The meal should have been really Low Carb. The can says it contains coconut milk and water. I agree on the carb content.

My view is that it might be a glitch so in order to determine if there is any correlation, I need to repeat the experiment at least once more.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Generally meals should have fat to slow carbs and protein.

Reactions: Kate_B

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ickinhun,

My preprandial reading was 5.5 mol/l
15 minutes post prandial 6.9
1h 10m post prandial 9.1
1h 30m 8.1
2h 20m 5.8

I am really confused by this because coconut milk is meant to be good for diabetics.

To be honest I would have said that 5.8 after 2hr 20 mins is good so I’m not sure why you are concerned.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
To be honest I would have said that 5.8 after 2hr 20 mins is good so I’m not sure why you are concerned.
I am working towards keeping my BGL between 4 and 6 mmol/l with a peak of 7.8.

Reactions: Kikeena_

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
BTW cardamom has carbs 68gm per 100gm , onion also has a small amount of carbs so your Kurma may have been slightly more carby than you thought I tend to use butter when cooking such meals.

I also think that your numbers were not too bad. Sometimes you cant be so precise as there are so many variables.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ickinhun,

coconut milk is - something found inside nuts - 'good for' diabetics? not that I can fathom. I certainly would not use it for cooking - I can't see any reason to use it.

Hotpepper20000

coconut milk is - something found inside nuts - 'good for' diabetics? not that I can fathom. I certainly would not use it for cooking - I can't see any reason to use it.
Coconut “milk” is made from the meat of the coconut and is the base of most Indian and Thai curries.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk
The OP is LADA and if I understand correctly, unlike type 2, who are usually insulin resistant, LADAs don’t produce sufficant insulin so even with low carb can see spikes.
Correct me please if my understanding is incorrect

Last edited:
Reactions: Grannypat

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And if there was slightly more carbs in the meal than had been allowed for then the spike might be a little higher than expected might it not. I use coconut milk when cooking curries most of the family prefer them with it but I have found it can at times affect my bs levels but it's effect on me is variable.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kristin,
What would you recommend; butter perhaps?
Kate
Butter and avocado work for me. A heavier fat than oils. They’re slower digesting and keep things steady for me. I use one or the other or both at all meals. I have no problem eating a little Kerry gold butter off a spoon before my meal if it doesn’t fit eith the meal. I always have a wedge of avocado. The fat and fiber slow the protein and the protein slows any carbs.

Reactions: lindijanice

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
BTW cardamom has carbs 68gm per 100gm , onion also has a small amount of carbs so your Kurma may have been slightly more carby than you thought I tend to use butter when cooking such meals.

I also think that your numbers were not too bad. Sometimes you cant be so precise as there are so many variables.
Thanks John, the amount of cardamom I use is very small; so I empirically discounted that from my analysis. Yes, vegetables do have some carb, so that's one source. I shall start using more butter from now on.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Coconut “milk” is made from the meat of the coconut and is the base of most Indian and Thai curries.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk
The OP is LADA and if I understand correctly, unlike type 2, who are usually insulin resistant, LADAs don’t produce sufficant insulin so even with low carb can see spikes.
Correct me please if my understanding is incorrect
Hello Hot Pepper,
Yes, I have been diagnosed as LADA by the doctor I trusted most. Many doctors here are Quacks and they go about things in a most unscientific way. I bought the FreeStyle Libre for two reasons:
1. To determine which foods caused BG spikes
2. Self diagnosis.
I am extremely busy, so currently I'm only looking at reactions to foods.
I want to download the results to store the data and build up a better picture over time. I am aware that human biology is fickle and can be affected by many things, so repetition and long term analysis will help build up a better understanding of what is occuring.

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wonder if your brand of coconut milk had sugar to sweeten or starch to thicken added but not disclosed.