1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coconut Milk Spike

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Kate_B, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Kate_B

Kate_B LADA · Well-Known Member

I suspect it may have had a sweetener added, as it was not thick. Product originated in Thailand.

Unfortunately here, things are not so regulated.

2. davidopong

davidopong Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think your BG readings were absolutely fine and just as expected. Please try not to be too hard on yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silas

Silas Type 1 · Member

Hi. I checked my Carbs & Cals book and pure coconut milk is only 4g of CHO2 for 120ml so it is unlikely that this caused a spike. There are so many factors that can influence your blood glucose level that it can be hard to isolate what caused the spike.
    Before Christmas I had the beastly bug that has been going round. My insulin requirements needed a considerable boost to fight the bug. I normally take 5 IU to cope with my main meals but for the best part of a fortnight while I was fighting it, my dose went up up by 50%. Thankfully I am fine again now and my dose has dropped back to normal. I also find that exercise makes a huge difference and I do like to try and keep as active as possible.
    Trying to keep ones BG on an even keel is like trying to walk a tight-rope. With the best will in the world you are going to fall off sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nondipoo

Nondipoo Prediabetes · Member

Coconut milk is the liquid inside a coconut, not from the meat. It is naturally sweet but shouldn’t affect the blood glucose in the same way as a sugary drink. It will cause a lower spike. Coconut oil is a good fat to eat, better than olive oil & butter, as it lowers cholesterol too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

My understanding is the liquid in side the coconut is coconut water. Usually the milk is the meat with a bit of water.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk

• Like Like x 1
  7. first14808

first14808 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That would be my suspect, ie if you just blend the meat + water, it'll seperate, so probably emulsifiers, and possibly thickener (starch) and sweetners added. The +2hr result looked good though, but I don't understand LADA.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kate_B

Kate_B LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi there, yes possibly sweetener; but it wasn’t thick, it had the right consistency.

A second trial of the same batch of kurma yielded similar results.

I don’t really understand LADA either, but it’s treated similarly to Type 2. The details are here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes_of_adults

9. emmay

emmay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you have meat in your curry? If so the protein will raise your sugar level. If you don’t eat any carbs your body then converts the carbs of the protein, whereas if you have carbs and protein then the protein shouldn’t affect your sugar level.

However given your sugar returned within range in 2 hours I wouldn’t worry about it too much

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook