Coconut Water and Sugar Levels

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Living in a coconut Rich Country the following is an extract from a Healthline article

Coconut water is produced naturally in the fruit and contains 94% water and very little fat.

It should not be confused with coconut milk, which is made by adding water to grated coconut meat. It contains about 50% water and is very high in coconut fat.

Coconuts take 10–12 months to fully mature. Coconut water typically comes from young coconuts about 6–7 months of age, although it's also found in mature fruit.

An average green coconut provides about 0.5-1 cups of coconut water.

One cup (240 grams) contains 46 calories, as well as (2):

• Carbs: 9 grams.
  • Fiber: 3 grams.
  • Protein: 2 grams.
  • Vitamin C: 10% of the RDI.
  • Magnesium: 15% of the RDI.
  • Manganese: 17% of the RDI.
  • Potassium: 17% of the RDI.
  • Sodium: 11% of the RDI.
  • Calcium: 6% of the RDI.
Bottom Line: Coconut water is found in young coconuts and is a good source of fiber, vitamin C and several important minerals.

May have benefits against diabetes

Research has shown that coconut water can lower blood sugar levels and improve other health markers in diabetic animals (8, 9, 10).

In one study, diabetic rats treated with coconut water maintained better blood sugar levels than other diabetic rats (9).

The same study also found that the rats had lower levels of hemoglobin A1c, a measure of long-term blood sugar control (9).

Another study found that providing the water to rats with diabetes led to improvements in blood sugar levels and reductions in markers of oxidative stress, including malondialdehyde (MDA) (10).

However, controlled studies need to confirm these effects in humans.

Nevertheless, with three grams of fiber and a digestible carb content of only six grams per cup, coconut water can easily fit into a diabetic meal plan.

In addition, it is a good source of magnesium, which has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and decrease blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes (11, 12).

Bottom Line: Studies on diabetic animals suggest that it may improve blood sugar control. It's also a good source of magnesium, which may increase insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is still 6 grams of carb per cup - which you don't need in your diet.
If you need to add fibre or magnesium then there are alternatives which don't involve carbs.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am Not on any specific Diet program I believe in sensible eating I totally accept other peoples choices including LCHF and Try to keep my carb levels down but not as low a some would like. I posted this thread because I thought it would be of interest to the membership of this forum mainly because it seems that even allowing for The figure of 6 Grams of Carb per Cup it showed in Animal Testing that it seems to have an effect on Blood Sugar Level. I am not suggesting people rush out and try to buy and use coconut Water. I do believe that the more Knowledge people have the more research they follow the better informed they are of all the options The more they will be able to make their own decisions. Maybe 6 grams is too much for your diet but then research may show you do not need a cup full but a much smaller amount or Maybe 6 grams can be fitted into some one else's diet
I Believe in Choices being made by individuals based on as much information as possible. Apologies if I offend anyone

Last edited: