Coconut Water

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering what Keto'ers think of Coconut water?

My husband because of haemochromatosis (high iron in his blood) is presently having treatment where he needs to give 500mls of blood every week to lower ferritin levels. Trouble is, the nurses have problems getting blood out of his veins. Yesterday someone told us of a story of another man with similar problems, and he solved it by drinking coconut water prior to him giving blood.... nurse confirmed his veins became bigger and it made it easier to insert the needle. No one's got any idea how it works.... but apparently it did.

So I had a google, and found many articles to it's health giving properties for heart, liver, blood pressure etc.

I bought some Vita Coco from Tesco today, and found it a really nice refreshing drink for the odd treat. 150mls has 7.5 carbs, zero fat and protein, 27 calories. Here's an interesting article on it: "8 Science-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Water"

"In one study, diabetic rats treated with coconut water maintained better blood sugar levels than the control group (9Trusted Source).

The same study also found that the rats given coconut water had lower levels of hemoglobin A1c, indicating good long-term blood sugar control (9Trusted Source).

Another study noticed that providing coconut water to rats with diabetes led to improvements in blood sugar levels and reductions in markers of oxidative stress (10Trusted Source).

However, controlled studies are needed to confirm these effects in humans.

Nevertheless, with its 3 grams of fiber and a digestible carb content of only 6 grams per cup (240 ml), coconut water can easily fit into a meal plan for people with diabetes.

It’s also a good source of magnesium, which may increase insulin sensitivity and decrease reduce blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes (11Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source)."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-coconut-water-benefits

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday someone told us of a story of another man with similar problems, and he solved it by drinking coconut water prior to him giving blood.... nurse confirmed his veins became bigger and it made it easier to insert the needle.

I’d wager that was just due to hydration. My veins have trouble giving up blood too. A few glasses of water usually help things along.

Reactions: RachelK and Robbity

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ordinary water will work just as well before blood tests.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I absolutely love coconut water, since I live in the tropics, I usually drink it right from the nut. I can also buy unsweetened. I drink it everyday. Very refreshing

But be careful, the sweetened variants make me spike.

also unsweetened coconut cream is also great, I.e in coffee.

lucas1986

I also love coconut water but had to give it up after going keto. The 6-8g carbs was too much of a hit if trying to stay strict. What I do now is add zero carb electrolytes like Ultima to my water bottle - just as refreshing but keeps the macros right..

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I absolutely love coconut water, since I live in the tropics, I usually drink it right from the nut. I can also buy unsweetened. I drink it everyday. Very refreshing

But be careful, the sweetened variants make me spike.

also unsweetened coconut cream is also great, I.e in coffee.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but are you saying that unsweetened coconut water *doesn't* spike you? I'm a fellow tropical who used to love the stuff, but I've been steering clear since diagnosis. If you can tolerate it, I'd love to hear about it: maybe I can try some and test

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Sorry to hijack the thread, but are you saying that unsweetened coconut water *doesn't* spike you? I'm a fellow tropical who used to love the stuff, but I've been steering clear since diagnosis. If you can tolerate it, I'd love to hear about it: maybe I can try some and test
The brand is UFC , unsweetened coconut milk. I also use the heavy coconut cream in smoothies and stuff
B1A0A1A3-54E7-401A-A682-6B689D49DFBB.jpeg 970CCB59-38D2-44AA-A00B-EDE53D162049.jpeg

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great- I see the Kara all the time, and will look out for the UFC drinking milk. Good tip- thank you!

Reactions: LaoDan