Code Free testing

Jono1568

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ive been using this type of tester for about 6 months, mainly due to the cheaper testing strips. Having read some concerns about the accuracy of this device, I decided to try something tonight.
Two hours after my meal, I tested myself 3 times in quick succession, using a clean strip each time, and using blood from the same site on my finger. My first result was 7mmol. The second was 7.8mmol, and the third was 6.8mmol. All three tests were completed within about 40 seconds. Does this show the device is not very accurate, as I find it hard to believe the results would vary so much from the same site within seconds of each other.
If they vary this much, it doesn't lend itself to managing glucose levels very well. Does anyone have similar experiences of thoughts on this?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
You'd get the same rusults with any meter. I certainly get similar figures from my Glucomen LX Plus.

Most current meters have an accuracy of +/- 15%.

Reactions: 6 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Within the fairly broad limitations of the method we use for home testing those results show reasonable repeatability, but they give no real indication of the accuracy of the meter.

To test for accuracy you would have to test against a calibrated control solution, these test solutions come in different ranges (usually low, medium and high) and are available from the meter manufacturers. For type 2 diabetics accuracy in the medium range is of the most interest.
I have tested several different meters against control solution and found my SD Codefree to be the most accurate followed by my two Bayer contour meters.

Don't expect too much of your meter there is some pretty complex chemistry going on every time you dip a strip into a blood sample and a lot of variables are involved.

Reactions: 2 people

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
tend to use the meter to see if I am really low, like 4, average of about 8-12 and higher when it is time to take meds, the hb1ac takes a few mil of blood, the strip test meter takes a tiny amount, but I use a contour usb to allow for memory and saving to the pc

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
@Jono1568
I use the Codefree. I gather there are better meters about but I like the cheap strips. As someone else has said, all meters have quite a high margin of error. +/- 10% or more. That's potentially a 20% difference in reading for the same level of blood glucose!

Because of this I don't really pay too much attention to the actual number of any one test. If it's 5.5 this morning and 5.2 yesterday then that's about the same. The margin of error will cancel itself out over time so what's important is the trend... are the numbers going up week by week or are they coming down? That's where it's useful.

It's also useful to show spikes after food. A 10% error makes no difference if the readings show a spike from 5.2 to 15.5 after a box of Quality Street!

So I wouldn't about the margin of error too much. Your meter can still be a big help to you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worrying about the accuracy of meters is the way to madness. I tested some and found the Abbott Freestyle Lite the most accurate but I am not going to pay those prices for strips any more.

Reactions: 5 people