Coffee -- Good or Bad?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Test and see. If it raises bg and assuming you are not drinking the adult milkshake type eg latte with syrup etc then it will be an adrenalin / coryisol spike bringing the emergency glucose into play i.e acting as a stressor.
I like mine with butter and coconut oil which keeps me going til lunch on an even bg keel

Reactions: Speedbird
D

Deleted member 308541

I like mine with butter and coconut oil which keeps me going til lunch on an even bg keel
emoji5.png
I like my coffee with no additives added, which keep me going till lunch.

Reactions: Kristin251

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When coffee raises adrenaline and cortisol as well as BP in the morning it will spike me. I love my nespresso and not giving it up. I tend to drink a decaf with bf ( for the love of the crema) then make a regular and just drink eat the crema. Then combine what's left of both and drink it late morning/ early afternoon. This has helped. Trying to cut back to one cup a day or I don't drink enough water/ seltzer.
I was looking at the new Nespresso Virtuo machines only this afternoon (a Nespresso boutique just opened near me). I currently have a different make but I’m asking Father Xmas to bring me a Virtuo. They make the coffee with a huge layer of crema on top, enough to make up for giving up milk in coffee!

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh do let us know Rachox. I’ve been thinking of cutting down, or even giving up cream, on occasions. Too hard to do as I love cream and love coffee. Together I’m in heaven in the mornings. But this new coffee machine by nespresso - Virtuo - sounds ideal. X

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh do let us know Rachox. I’ve been thinking of cutting down, or even giving up cream, on occasions. Too hard to do as I love cream and love coffee. Together I’m in heaven in the mornings. But this new coffee machine by nespresso - Virtuo - sounds ideal. X
I will!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently have a different make but I’m asking Father Xmas to bring me a Virtuo.

I'm awfully jealous. I said to Mrs. Jealous a few days ago that it would be lovely to have an espresso machine but she, I suppose rightly, said the little capsules are expensive for what they are.

Hmmm ... reading this is making me head to the kitchen to start up the percolator for my afternoon hit from the boring conventional coffee machine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm awfully jealous. I said to Mrs. Jealous a few days ago that it would be lovely to have an espresso machine but she, I suppose rightly, said the little capsules are expensive for what they are.

Hmmm ... reading this is making me head to the kitchen to start up the percolator for my afternoon hit from the boring conventional coffee machine.
They are expensive but there are two things in life I won’t go cheap on, one is coffee the other is loo rolls!
;):joyful::happy:
Mr Rachox agrees luckily!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
said the little capsules are expensive for what they are.
depends if you buy coffee from chains or not.. the capsules here in the UK are between 31p and 37p per shot at least that's what they were last time I ordered some. With coffee shop coffee at between £2 and £4 a go I think they are pretty cheap. Whenever I suggest having coffee out hubs always say no way our coffee at home is so much better.. so even my triple shot Americano works out fairly reasonable.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
depends if you buy coffee from chains or not.. the capsules here in the UK are between 31p and 37p per shot at least that's what they were last time I ordered some. With coffee shop coffee at between £2 and £4 a go I think they are pretty cheap. Whenever I suggest having coffee out hubs always say no way our coffee at home is so much better.. so even my triple shot Americano works out fairly reasonable.
The Lidl ones are the best of the alternatives I have found and at 18p per pod are certainly cheaper, although there are only about 4 varieties. How much are the special pods for the Vertuo @Rachox ?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
depends if you buy coffee from chains or not..

I'm suprised some enterprising person has not figured out how to "refill" capsules from coffee bought in bulk. Similar to the computer printer ink/toner racket. Maybe Nestlé has some kind of legal lock on that kind of thing? Perhaps it's not practical?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a Type 1 and a coffee lover as well. I drink about 3-4 cups a day. (cream no sugar)

I have also read conflicting opinions on coffee and blood sugar levels and what I've found is this: It depends on each person.

My doctor monitored my blood sugars for 2 weeks with the clinical version of Freestyle Libre CGM/ I recorded everything I ate and when (including my coffee) and we found it had little to no impact on my levels. Needless to say I was psyched.

However, before I had this insight, I tried to choose more decaf in the afternoon or even half-caf.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm suprised some enterprising person has not figured out how to "refill" capsules from coffee bought in bulk. Similar to the computer printer ink/toner racket. Maybe Nestlé has some kind of legal lock on that kind of thing? Perhaps it's not practical?
If you Google Refillable Nespresso Pods you will find there are many types available but I haven't tried any.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have one very strong instant coffee first(ish) thing in the morning with butter and cream.
Any more and I'm wired up to the eyeballs.

Haven't specifically tested for the impact, and couldn't split it out from the butter and cream anyway.

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have one very strong instant coffee first(ish) thing in the morning with butter and cream.
Any more and I'm wired up to the eyeballs.

Haven't specifically tested for the impact, and couldn't split it out from the butter and cream anyway.
Am I reading you right, butter and cream in your coffee, no can't be.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Am I reading you right, butter and cream in your coffee, no can't be.

I call it bullet resistant coffee because the full bulletproof coffee also has coconut oil in but that is a step too far for me.

It is a well known day starter for the LCHF diet - a way of getting your first dose of fats for the day.

I am addicted.:happy:

I should point out that for me it has to be very strong coffee to balance the overall fattiness of the other constituents. Weak coffee with butter and double cream is :yuck:.

Reactions: Billy7764

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah, interesting. I didn't know that, it goes to show how much us newbie can learn from this forum.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I call it bullet resistant coffee because the full bulletproof coffee also has coconut oil in but that is a step too far for me.

As many of us probably know already, sailors in Days of Yore (and maybe even now?) traditionally put salt in their coffee:wacky:.

Reactions: Billy7764

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As many of us probably know already, sailors in Days of Yore (and maybe even now?) traditionally put salt in their coffee:wacky:.
As indeed do I quite often.. along with the double cream.. very yummy it is too.