1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Collecting prescriptions

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by TashT1, Jul 14, 2020.

1. TashT1

TashT1 · Member

Apologies if this has been covered in an earlier thread but I couldn’t find anything when I searched.

Is it considered to be safe for us to collect prescriptions from the pharmacy? I’ve been before I was diagnosed, wore a mask & socially distanced. But now wondering if I should be more careful in general.

My son does all the extra shopping that can’t be delivered but he’s only 17 so I’m assuming they won’t handover a box of needles.

What’s the general consensus on risk?

2. In Response

In Response · Well-Known Member

I have been collecting my prescription all the time and consider it one of the safer places throughout this pandemic.
    My pharmacy are very good. They have a screen to protect themselves and their customers. They only allow one person in the shop at a time so social distancing is maintained. They don't require a signature so all I touch is the door to go in and out and the bag with my diabetes stuff in it.

Thankfully, my only medical condition is type 1 diabetes which I manage reasonably well, I am not obese, I am female and I am not at a heightened risk due to my ethnic background. So, relatively, my risk is not very high. In additional, I am a very independent person so taking away the ability to look after myself would have a serious mental health implication.

I believe we need to decide for ourselves how much risk we are willing to encounter. That is both in terms of the physical risk of getting the virus and the mental health risk of isolating ourselves from the world.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #2 In Response, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:58 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I consider myself perfectly safe to collect, but our pharmacy is delivering everything (super efficiently) to just about everyone it seems.

Have you been shielding, or are you very newly diagnosed?

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @TashT1

I think risk is a personal decision based on weighing up the pros and cons, a pharmacy should be a clean hygienic place and as long as precautions are in place for both yourself and at the pharmacy then it shouldn’t pose a threat.

I personally have collected my own and haven’t felt afraid to, but the call really does lie with you and your perceived level of risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TashT1

TashT1 · Member

Yeh I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. My household has been very careful due to someone else being in the shielding group, essential trips out only.

But now that I think about it, the pharmacy is about as essential as the trips to hospital for diagnosis. So I should stop over thinking it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook