Come back from the brink & halved my HBA1C! Please read :)

TheSparkyPony

You guys have put up with me now for just over a year. Questions panicking about DKA, to being ill, to general confusion, to nearly giving up, to desperately seeking motivation.

When I was first diagnosed, my levels were perfect. This was due to my parents watching my every move and making every decision for me.
When I hit 12/13, it all went downhill. I made my own decisions, and as a result stopped caring. I ate sweets all the time and would only inject when I could feel my mouth going dry, drinking too much and all the typical high level symptoms. I wouldn't do a BM and I would certainly shrug my shoulders and look blank at the mention of 'low carb'!

This past year (2010) has been horrible. I had 7 admissions into hospital with DKA, was diagnosed with both peripheral and autonomic neuropathy (hands, feet, right leg and gastroparesis).
I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and as a result en enlarged liver and spleen. I was taking over 15 tablets a day. My veins were so shattered from frequent blood tests I had to have anaesthetists come and place cannulas as no one else could, and each time resulted in tears. I think my body had finally given up. I was 18, and what kind of life was I living? I couldn't even work due to the regularity of my hospitalisations.

My early admission this year (January) was the last straw. It was DKA due to a kidney infection but I had had it. I demanded that we tried something new. The DN put me on a new fast acting insulin, Humalog, and split my Levemir into 2 doses, morning and night. I made a mental pact with myself to get a grip, and to make this year one for the better. I want to act like a 19 year old again, go out with friends, get a job, work on my career.

The result? Perfection. My average BM over January was 8.1, and for February it was 6.8.
I went to have some bloods done last Tuesday and saw my consultant. I received a letter from him this morning.
My HBA1C was 7.0%.
My HBA1C in Dec? 14.5%

I've been accepted into starting work at a local nursing home as a care assistant, am starting university in September to do a nursing degree, and I'm even back into riding the horses, something I've been unable to do for at least a year.

So there you go folks! I realise this was a big ramble, and it probably doesn't make interesting reading, but I had to write it all down and get it off my chest! If just one person reads this, who has the same mindframe as I once had, and tries to change, I'll be happy. It can be done!

Hot chocolate and cookies to those who have read (Low sugar choc and cookies in moderation, of course :wink: )

TSP xxxx

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Re: Come back from the brink & halved my HBA1C! Please read

That's great Sparky Pony I'm glad you're so much better now. :) Well done for turning everything around. I'm so pleased for you. Just make sure you keep it up - you have plenty of incentives to do so now. Thank you for posting this - your post may be an inspiration to others who are in trouble. And keep visiting this forum :)

Snodger

I found this really moving to read and I am so pleased for you. Fantastic achievements! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Really good that you are going to train as a nurse too, the healthcare professions need more of us in their ranks.
Please keep us updated as to how it goes.

xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

TSP.
What a great result for you. I am so pleased that things are better for you now and life certainly looks to be back on track. I have watched your highs and the lows on here from afar. Given me more grey hairs sometimes....... :wink:

I wish you well in the future and I am sure with your determination that you will be an even greater success story. As one poster said........an inspirational tale. :D

ATB.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What a lovely story to start the day with. Your diabetes was a monster and it was controlling your life. Now you've caged that monster and you can decide what you want to do with your life.
Well done

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Fantastic news!! :D I am so happy that you have taken a responsible approach to your health and succeeded in getting back to good numbers. Keep up the good work and all the best with your new job and nursing degree. :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Always good to read someone's good news TSP, congratulations and long may your good control continue
clap.gif

Good luck with the job and Uni :D

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !

Just brilliant to read this and feel the positivity , really well done and loads of luck to you :D

ClaireG 06

Well done turning things around :D That's a great result.

dizzielizzie

Well done! Its good to see that you can change blood sugars and control diabetes. I've been struggling for ages and sometimes think whats the point, but reading this has given me a boost to sort out my life. Its great to know your horse riding aswell, its great exercise (knackers me out anyway)

I'm a registered nurse, and having diabetes has obviously made me an expert on the contraindications and mental and physical problems it can cause. I've been a nurse for years but didnt know half as much until I developed type 1 diabetes and I do find it helps you empathise with patients.

All the best mate, keep smiling.

Lizzie
Type 1 2 years
Levimir and Novorapid

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

What a great result, well done you.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

TSP,

Great post and so pleased you've turned a corner! :D Best wishes with the job and University in September.

Nigel

Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..

Inspirational stuff.. nuff said. :wink:

sugar2

Grinning from ear to ear after reading your update...well done!

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Very well done TheSparkyPony. A real inspiration. I'll join you for a mug of hot chocolate, but leave the cookies for someone else. :|

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

Great news SP, well done and I hope your story will be an inspiration for all those young Type 1's who feel that they want to ignore their Diabetes.

Full marks to you for getting on top of it ! :D

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror

Ur abslutley BRILL!!!!!! tell us how u go, even if its monthly good news, Good luck with nursing!!

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Hi TheSparkyPony

Ditto

As it's all been said

goji

This is such great news - you are an example to all of us!!!