Coming off Metformin, to go to diet/exercise control

weggy

Thanks.
I've been testing 4 or 5 times a day, every day, since I stopped taking the metformin 6 weeks ago. Managing to keep it between 3.5 and 8 most of the time, had a couple of peaks in double figures but I know why they were and have learnt from that.

My fingers are like pin cushions :oops:

:D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The persistence of Metformin depends on which sort you have. The ordinary one lasts basically from one meal to the next. The slow release for a day. It's supposed to help weight loss.
It's been the only diabetic medication I used for months. I dropped off the gliclazide and eventually Starlix too, as my carb count came down. I'm keeping with tthe Metformin for its vascular protection. I've never had tummy trouble with it.Not from the first day.

weggy

The weight loss thing about metformin really puzzles me. Metformin was giving me low BG levels, so I'd eat more, often 'quick fix' items such as sweets, crisps etc... not sure how that promotes weight loss! :lol:

weggy

Hi all

Just a quick update from me on this. Saw the GP a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't too pleased about me stopping Metformin but understood my reasonings and congratulated me on the weight loss (just over a stone since I last saw them 6 months ago). Anyways, he sent me for the usual blood tests which have come back today - HbA1c is 7.2% which is exactly the same as it was at last checkup... have to say I'm pretty pleased with that, especially considering two weeks of that included a holiday to the US.

The weight loss isn't over yet, and I've plenty more work to do but, right now, I'm a pretty happy chappy :D

Reactions: tklee

moksh

i was diagnosed with t2 and put on metformin which started to cause hypos as well so i asked my doctor if i could stop using them and rely on excercise and diet control only, never felt better ever since, although reduced the doses in stages over 6 week period to zero.
Before this i was getting hypos and felt strange feeling in my heart, had to go to the hospital on at least 2 occasions to check out if there are not any heart attack symptons.
my heart beats were racing very high and i could not go without my meal for half an hour more, beyond my lunch time.
that is all gone now, and no longer get dizzy or any ting else for that matter.
regrds
Moiz

Reactions: tklee

weggy

weggy said:
Hi all

Just a quick update from me on this. Saw the GP a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't too pleased about me stopping Metformin but understood my reasonings and congratulated me on the weight loss (just over a stone since I last saw them 6 months ago). Anyways, he sent me for the usual blood tests which have come back today - HbA1c is 7.2% which is exactly the same as it was at last checkup... have to say I'm pretty pleased with that, especially considering two weeks of that included a holiday to the US.

The weight loss isn't over yet, and I've plenty more work to do but, right now, I'm a pretty happy chappy :D

Quick update from me. Latest HbA1c came back last week - 6.4%, achieved purely on exercise and diet. Seem to have hit a wall with the weight loss (been a static 13 and a half stone for about 2 months now) so time to up the exercise I think. Needless to say though, I'm pretty happy with the HbA1c result. Hopefully be under 6% next time!

Also pleased to note that my ALT level has returned to within normal range. Had been elevated around 140 since I first started taking Metformin... has strangely returned to normal straight after stopping the Metformin...

enthusiastic

Hello Weggy,

Read this old post of yours.

I am also a type 2. Took Metformin 500 BD for 4 years. 4 months ago I started dieting and exercising. My HBA1c dropped for 6.2 to 5.6. Thought that I may be able to come off the Metformin too because it is the diet and exercise which helped the HBA1c to come down.

Was wondering how you were now. Are you still off the Metformin ?

Thanks.

weggy

Hi
Bit of an old post!
Yep, still off the metformin. Last Hb1Ac was 54 in new money, so 7.1 in old. A little higher than where I want it to be but pretty much static. Unfortunately, as static as my weight which is the same 13 and a half stone as it was when I posted over 3 years ago! However, I've changed jobs in that time and my job involves shifts and is more physically demanding - I certainly feel healthier and fitter than I did a few years ago.
My ALT also remains within normal range.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Give me a shout if I can help further

mpprh

I am in the same position.

I have lost 22kg in 21 months and taken more exercise which has reduced my glucose levels. I had my metformin reduced to 2 X 500mg tablets per day for the last 6 months.

My fasting glucose reading is 75mg/dl to 90mg/dl (4.2mmol/l to 5.0mmol/l) and Hba1c has been 5.4 for the last 6 months.

My normal doctor was away and I saw a locum. He gave me the same prescription but suggested I reduce to 1 x 500mg tablet per day and monitor the results. He expects to see little difference, in which case he suggests I stop taking the tablets and monitor the results. He thinks it very likely I no longer need medication.

Is this likely ?

mpprh

Nearly 6 months down the line I have now lost 26kgs in total and been medication free for 16 days.

Fasting glucose readings are fairly constant :

mardi 6 août 2013 81
mercredi 7 août 2013 90
jeudi 8 août 2013 93
vendredi 9 août 2013 82
samedi 10 août 2013 89
dimanche 11 août 2013 90
lundi 12 août 2013 92
mardi 13 août 2013 88
mercredi 14 août 2013 91
jeudi 15 août 2013 95
vendredi 16 août 2013 90
samedi 17 août 2013 96
dimanche 18 août 2013 81
lundi 19 août 2013 89
mardi 20 août 2013 91
mercredi 21 août 2013 90

My HBA1c has been around 5.3 for the last 12 months.

n.b. 90 mg/dl = 5 mmol/l

JoyL

Hi all

My first discussion that I've started... good to find this place, seems to be an excellent font of knowledge!

So, my question, as above... has anyone here got experience of coming off Metformin? Any issues/side effects? About 3 months ago, I moved jobs and therefore introduced a daily walk of 40 mins into my routine. Add this to an improved diet and I soon saw my BM readings drop hugely, to the extent that I was having 'hypos' a couple of times a day. Not good. So, after doing a bit of research I decided to stop my 1000mg daily dose of Metformin. This was about 6 weeks ago now. I monitor my BM's about 4 or 5 times a day (reading other threads, I'm very fortunate to have an excellent GP for giving out test strips!) and my readings have been good, ie just before lunch today was 5.0.

I've always wanted to get off the Metformin - when I was first diagnosed nearly four years ago I was put straight on Metformin and never given the chance to change my lifestyle - something I really regret now and pursuaded me to finally move GP's a couple of years ago!

So far so good, but is there a brick wall around the corner? Am I about to hit it hard? Be very grateful to hear your thoughts.

JoyL

I am in the same position.

I have lost 22kg in 21 months and taken more exercise which has reduced my glucose levels. I had my metformin reduced to 2 X 500mg tablets per day for the last 6 months.

My fasting glucose reading is 75mg/dl to 90mg/dl (4.2mmol/l to 5.0mmol/l) and Hba1c has been 5.4 for the last 6 months.

My normal doctor was away and I saw a locum. He gave me the same prescription but suggested I reduce to 1 x 500mg tablet per day and monitor the results. He expects to see little difference, in which case he suggests I stop taking the tablets and monitor the results. He thinks it very likely I no longer need medication.

Is this likely ?
Did you have problems
Hi all

My first discussion that I've started... good to find this place, seems to be an excellent font of knowledge!

So, my question, as above... has anyone here got experience of coming off Metformin? Any issues/side effects? About 3 months ago, I moved jobs and therefore introduced a daily walk of 40 mins into my routine. Add this to an improved diet and I soon saw my BM readings drop hugely, to the extent that I was having 'hypos' a couple of times a day. Not good. So, after doing a bit of research I decided to stop my 1000mg daily dose of Metformin. This was about 6 weeks ago now. I monitor my BM's about 4 or 5 times a day (reading other threads, I'm very fortunate to have an excellent GP for giving out test strips!) and my readings have been good, ie just before lunch today was 5.0.

I've always wanted to get off the Metformin - when I was first diagnosed nearly four years ago I was put straight on Metformin and never given the chance to change my lifestyle - something I really regret now and pursuaded me to finally move GP's a couple of years ago!

So far so good, but is there a brick wall around the corner? Am I about to hit it hard? Be very grateful to hear your thoughts.
Did you have any problems coming off the metformin ??

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weggy was last on the forum over 6 years ago, so I doubt you'll get a reply.
Stopping metformin was no trouble for me - just a blessed relief from the side effects.