Commencing Insulin injections

Magnetar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2016, initially successful at reversing the condition through diet (I was one of those guys who were thin on the outside but fat on the inside)but have had to succumb to insulin due to my inability over time to reduce my sugar levels. I am due to start in the next couple of days.
I am apprehensive as I fear from what I have read this is the slippery slope, once you are on it there is no going back.
How did others fare when they commenced?
Regards

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2016, initially successful at reversing the condition through diet (I was one of those guys who were thin on the outside but fat on the inside)but have had to succumb to insulin due to my inability over time to reduce my sugar levels. I am due to start in the next couple of days.
Hi @Magnetar , and welcome to the forum!
When I started insulin I was thought to be type 2 as well. Turned out I'm not.
When I started insulin I felt much better, because it gave me a tool to do something when I saw my blood glucose being high (I used a meter from the start).

Have you had tested how much insulin you produce yourself? If you simply don't produce enough you'll need the insulin.

Wish you all the best, and let us know how you get on!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you are a genuine t2 and not a mis-diagnosed T1 then it may be possible to come back off insulin in the future. A lot depends on your current BMI and whether you have insulin resistance. If you have some excess weight then the insulin may be temporary but you will have to follow a low-carb diet to get there and stay with that diet for life. If you are slim and have lost weight recently then it may be worth asking for a GAD and C-Peptide test

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you could be LADA, or maturity onset T1. If you are, only insulin will give the control you want in the long term. As for the full antibody panel of tests to be done. If one or more are positive, it is T1. Either way, you will be able to take more focused and informed action to achieve the control you want.