Concerned about weight loss...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A BMI of 20 or around 20 is fine and your bodyfat percentage is also fine , when one get over 50 years one can weigh a bit more than that and still be Healthy. Maybe eat more nuts or cream

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Doesn't the LCHF diet have the potential to raise cholesterol levels with the increased consumption of fats? Whilst on the one hand lowering BG levels is important equally if not more important is avoiding cvd risks. Also doesn't high levels of meat consumption put a strain on the liver function?

Reactions: Freema

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't the LCHF diet have the potential to raise cholesterol levels with the increased consumption of fats? Whilst on the one hand lowering BG levels is important equally if not more important is avoiding cvd risks. Also doesn't high levels of meat consumption put a strain on the liver function?

LCHF for 3 years for me. My cholesterol initially lowered dramatically ( I have a family history of high cholesterol) and then raised a bit .. but it was the good part going up.
I had fatty liver disease with readings of 185 ( about 5 x recommended ) within 6 months that had returned to normal and has stayed there...It's so good I was even discharged from the liver clinic at the hospital.

I know the lifestyle seems alien to a lot of us who have been brainwashed by the low calorie , low fat advice.. all I can say is I had done that for over 40 years and ended up overweight. metabolic syndrome and diabetes with a fatty liver.

LCHF helped me lose 2 stones.. and keep it off.. and I feel great too.

It may not suit everybody, we are all different, but you won't know unless you try :)

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's a pretty good endorsement for LCHF and it seems like a win win result.
It's high time the nutritionists and db 'experts' caught up with these findings and offered appropriate advice to patients.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a c peptide or GAD test to rule out type 1? Are you resting your bs?

No, Other than fasting levels of around 6.7 and a HbA1c of 38 last June, I have no diagnosis and my doctor has no interest in pursuing the matter other than an annual HbA1c check.

I test my BS several times a day, now fasting anywhere between 5.0 and 6.5, no real pattern to it although more towards the 5.6-6.2 range most days upon waking.

I've managed to maintain my weight without further loss this week just by a daily handful of nuts. This coming week I'm going to try and gain a few lbs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
More than a few nuts can help put weight on!! Definitely...

Reactions: Jamesuk9 and Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I could confirm - also hazelnuts could make you fatter... Unfortunately my uncle has some trees and gave me some hazelnuts - ate them and gained weight ... a pair of kg...
now it's again diet time!
I had a fat attack yesterday and ate a few too many nuts. Scale up 2 pounds over night. Arg...why do they have to taste so good??? No nuts for me today.

If I'm honest with myself it was a pretty high calorie day in general compaired to what I normally eat. A few days and it should be gone. Just discusted with myself right now.

Does dairy do that for you too?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Dairy and just about everything else mind you I put it down to an erratic set of scales.;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Double cream for me will be weight gain. It really helped me!!-drambuiee double cream coffees over christmas really brilliantly put weight on and I'm partial to walnuts, almonds and pistachios. I wa jyst amazed that the nuts come out whole but still release their calories and nutrients....lol.
I did increase my qty up from my 7 standard nuts a day...

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no idea until this week how many calories in nuts.... Very easy way to bulk a bit without excessive eating.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interestingly I've just come across this thread again 10 minutes after eating a WHOLE bag of peanuts............. I do this sometimes but rarely. Had a meeting tonight and I always come home buzzing and 'eaty'!

Sooooooo can I join the nut party?

:)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been trying out peanut butter as can't tackle actual nuts any more. I have if I'm honest to admit to actually managing to put a bit of weight on then a couple of days later find I have lost what I gained plus some most frustrating to say the least..

Two steps forward then three steps back doesn't get you where you want to be.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, wondering if anyone has any advice regarding weight loss and how to stop it?

I'm still losing 2-3lbs per week on LCHF and I think I've reached the stage where I really don't want to lose any more.

I bought some scales today that are telling me:

Weight 10st 11lbs
BMI 21.1
Body fat 12%
Water 60%

I was 13 stone 3 months ago.

I have no idea what these numbers represent or indeed if they are good. I understand BMI and that's about it.

I just don't want to lose any more weight and really don't want to increase my carb intake either.

Any suggestions please?
  • Hi James, I have had similar problems regarding weight. When diagnosed 3 years ago I weighed 166 lbs with a BMI of 23.1 and I now weigh 136 lbs with a BMI of 18.9 and bodyfat just over 10%.
  • Obviously I cannot afford to lose anymore and the best things I have found to eat are salmon (tinned, fresh or smoked) and extra virgin olive oil. We are all different but I have found having a salmon salad drenched in an olive oil vinaigrette (with cider apple vinegar) does a great job of keeping my weight up and is delicious. I have it for lunch most days.
  • The easiest way to put on weight is more carbs but that is not an option for most of us!