Concerned and need advice.

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although I feel that I am forever posting problematic posts on here but this one is more worrying for me.

I am 25 years old and been a type 1 diabetic for 15 years. I have noticed that since my diabetes has recently been all over the place that I am starting to find that my health is starting to get worse. I had to get glasses because my vision got bad (long distance wise) and that when I had my recent diabetic eye check up that I got my results saying I have a case of maculopathy, and also now I'm starting to feel tingling in my fingers.

I have an 'alright' diabetic team but they don't seem as caring as the diabetic team at my last hospital. I'm allowed to email the diabetic nurse but sometimes I feel I'm being a pain in the ass if I do. I had a seizure a couple of months ago and I emailed her about that and also my diabetic eye screening result and she just didn't seem to think to offer me advice or ask if I wanted to be booked in to see her. I can understand that she might be busy but my previous diabetic nurse was so caring and always asked if she wanted to book me in to see her for further advice or help.

I find that ever since I have been on the pump, I can't enjoy eating things I want to because if I do eat a treat and inject the correct dosage for it my bloodsugars decide to shoot sky high anyways. I was speaking to a work colleague (who is also a type 1 diabetic) and she said that she used to inject twice a day and that kept her blood sugars stable but now she's been told to take more insulin it messes up her bloodsugars too.

It's just so frustrating I don't know what to do anymore -_____-

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sounds as if you need to move to a different hospital for better care for starters. If you haven't done so invest in the book pumping insulin (amazon) and also do some basal testing once that is right look at your carb ratio. Bottom line is if no one is helping you then help yourself as you will probably get a lot better results. :)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Given your recent seizure, maculopathy and neuropathy symptoms you really do need some professional help & support, wonder if you can ask to see another pump nurse if the one you see is unsupportive, either that or insist that you are seen by the diabetes consultant.

The book Pumping Insulin that CarbsRok has mentioned is a must and you should purchase it if you don't already own a copy.

Reactions: 4 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its strange to hear that the flexibility in your diet has been restricted since going on the pump and that can only be down to your team which have either put you on the pump when they shouldn't have or have not provided the training...........however I would like to assume you have had some basic training regarding dose adjustment........

i think you definitely need some better support and training, some of which you could find here I suppose....

what training have you had, if any?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry your having so many problems. It's crucial you have a team you trust and who are helpful. My DSN has been excellent when I've needed her, and I wish you could feel the same about yours. Are there other nurses you could speak to? I have the number of the diabetes centre at my local hospital and I always phone when I have an issue.

As for your pump problems, it may well be your doses and ratios need adjusting. Can you see a consultant for help if you don't feel confident yourself? A basal test is an important foundation to get right. Once that's ok you can then look at your ratios to make sure the insulin is covering your food properly.

Do ask as many questions as you want here :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I back all the other comments. Buy Pumping Insulin and also Think Like A Pancreas. Change your diabetic clinic and also ask about specific problems here on the forum.