Condiments / Sauces / Dressings...what can I replace them with ?

MoroFenrir

I am totally new to this, and trying to find the best options for my partner's diabetes T2.

So far I have found (but correct me if there are better alternatives)

Mayonnaise ( Full fat hellmans seems to have lowest sug/car)

Ketchup ( Heinz do a zero added sugar version that is sweetened with sucralose )

After that I am stuck.

What other sauces / dressings / dips can I ideally buy , rather than make , as an accompinment to meals, that don't have high sugar / carb content ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am totally new to this, and trying to find the best options for my partner's diabetes T2.

So far I have found (but correct me if there are better alternatives)

Mayonnaise ( Full fat hellmans seems to have lowest sug/car)

Ketchup ( Heinz do a zero added sugar version that is sweetened with sucralose )

After that I am stuck.

What other sauces / dressings / dips can I ideally buy , rather than make , as an accompinment to meals, that don't have high sugar / carb content ?

It could be helpful to members, MOnoFenrir, if you could list the condiments you have routinely been using before diagnosis, then folks can gauge your tastes and preferences.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Cheese sauce made with cheese and cream rather than milk/flour...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Olive oil is good for drizzling on salads and veg, you can also flavour it with garlic, chilli etc etc

herb butters are good for melting onto meat and veggies.You will probably have to make them but I make them in bulk and freeze them. Softened butter then add any fresh chopped herbs , lemon zest, chilli, dried herbs - anything you fancy in any combination then roll it into a sausage shape in greaseproof paper, freeze then slice a bit off when you need it.

Double cream and Creme fraiche are heat stable and good making sauces for meat and fish

Reactions: 1spuds

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can make aioli by adding a bit of pressed garlic to the mayo. Also other good adds for mayo are curry powder or wasabi paste/powder.

Hotpepper20000

This.....
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 small shallot, finely minced
  • 5 chives, finely minced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2-3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (the fresh kind in refrigerated section)
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
  • pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
  • salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Hotpepper20000

CHIMICHURRI

• 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, tightly packed (about 1 bunch of parsley)
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro, tightly packed (about 1 bunch of cilantro)
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 3 Tablespoons fresh oregano, tightly packed (optional)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
  • 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
  • ½ cup good-quality olive oil

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In my household the below are direct sauces we use. Mixing cream with say garlic powder or smoked paprika in mushed tomato is very tasty. Piri piri with vegetable stock is yum, some ideas

upload_2018-11-8_22-51-37.png

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to try various vinegars with various amounts of herbs or spices, mixed with about the same volume of olive oil - try a light one first as sometimes the extra virgin really expensive ones can be too much. Make a few small bottles to try, and just give them a good shake before pouring onto salad or veges. I use a white and a red wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar - but I do have a very sensitive pallet, and I can tell the difference.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight do a lot of garlic based sauces. They have a good website, and prompt delivery. The first order I got from them had a bottle of vampire slayer sauce in it which got smashed in transit. The postman was complaining he would have to wash all his clothes as the smell was so strong. The garlic farm replaced it very quickly.

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This Spanish business sells 'world' themed condiments.

I stopped putting salt on my salads a while back and now use their "India" spice mill. I've actually bought most of their range but haven't really tried the others much yet because I love the "India" so much.

As well as finding a few of their range in supermarkets they sell online. I purchased a selection of six, by mail order.

www.toque.world/en

Apart from that I flood my salads with olive oil and sherry vinegar (vinagre de jerez).

Real mayonnaise should be OK because it's just an egg and olive oil emulsion, if I'm not mistaken.

I also use a zero sugar ketchup.