Confused, anxious, don’t know what to do

Eliza2739

Hi Everyone,
I’m feeling a bit lost and would love some direction (I know it’s not medical advice).
I’m 27, female and have been randomly checking my blood sugars for a couple of months now. My fasting levels are all between 5-6mmol, so I went to the doctor to ask for testing for diabetes. All my results were reportedly normal, hbA1c was 5.0%, doctor said my insulin was good and not to worry about the fasting BSL of 5.4mmol.

What is causing me to panic, im now I’m 6 weeks pregnant- and these fasting levels give me an automatic diagnosis of gestational diabetes. If that’s just my pre-pregnancy normal baseline, what am I to do about it in pregnancy? I want to avoid that diagnosis and the increased limitations it brings if possible.

I had a carb heavy meal last night- 1.5 hours afterward my BSL was 5.2 which I was happy with. But I woke up at 1am (7.5 hours after eating) and it was 6.8mmol.... what?!?
Now I’m panicking and not sure what to do.

Is there an explanation for that middle of the night peak? I know about dawn etc but it seemed too early for that. Should I try low carb regardless?
Apologies if I sound uneducated, this whole thing confuses me and is causing me great anxiety.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First thing to do is relax, second thing to do don't overthink it all, third thing to do enjoy your pregnancy. Your numbers are fine the rise is still within the non diabetic range. The rise on waking is probably due to what is called dawn phenomena which is a process where the liver dumps glucose into your system as part of your waking process. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Struma

Eliza2739

First thing to do is relax, second thing to do don't overthink it all, third thing to do enjoy your pregnancy. Your numbers are fine the rise is still within the non diabetic range. The rise on waking is probably due to what is called dawn phenomena which is a process where the liver dumps glucose into your system as part of your waking process. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks Bittern. I’m trying hard not to panic, at this rate I will be diagnosed with gestational diabetes which directs your maternity care a lot in Australia, this is what I’m most fearful of.
I appreciate your support :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Many non-diabetic as well as diabetic people get Dawn Phenomenon - it is completely normal.
As is raised BG from Stress, illness or lack of sleep.
More of a concern is raised BG from some Medications particularly some Statins and some Steroids.

The BG numbers you quote are nothing to worry about - you are probably OK. If you get some higher number, jut cut back on carbohydrates a little.

Eliza2739

Many non-diabetic as well as diabetic people get Dawn Phenomenon - it is completely normal.
As is raised BG from Stress, illness or lack of sleep.
More of a concern is raised BG from some Medications particularly some Statins and some Steroids.

The BG numbers you quote are nothing to worry about - you are probably OK. If you get some higher number, jut cut back on carbohydrates a little.
Thank you Ian, I appreciate the reassurance a lot.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I missed one question, it will do you no harm to cutdown on bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta. This will reduce your carbohydrate load and your blood glucose levels. But bear in mind that you are pregnant so you will need to ensure that there are sufficient nutrients in your diet to grow your baby. Eating meats, cheese, eggs, and, in general, above ground vegetables should ensure that there are. I still don't think you need to worry about your blood glucose but reducing carbs slowly will help reduce blood sugars and your anxiety.

Last edited: