Confused by my BG levels after bread

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
Hi alll you diabeters,

I've been sticking pretty well to a low carb diet for a week now. I'm not being really strict i.e. measuring my daily carb intake but I've tried to ensure that I don't eat anything that is more than 5% carb. It's been working well and I've been keeping an eye on my BG levels which seem to be resonably stable.

This morning I my fella made himself bananas on (white bread) toast which used to be one of my favourite brekkies. The smell of the toast was so enticing that I decided to treat myself to a single slice of wholemeal to go with my bacon and eggs this morning. I was expecting a big spike in my BG but for it to return almost as low as my fasting after 2 hours.

My fasting BG was 7.3 and 1 hr after I'd eaten brekkie it was 8.3 and 2 hours after it was 5.6! which is my lowest BG 2 hourly reading since I started recording.

Does this mean that it's ok for me to now start eating a slice of wholemeal bread or am I missing something here?

Jen

EDIT: To add that there were 17g of carbs in the slice of wholemeal I had.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jen,

It certainly looks fine to me! :) White bread always causes spikes, I use Burgen Soya and Linseed bread which has little impact on my blood glucose as its a low-gi bread.

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to realise that the carbs you'd eaten were the probably the first significant carbs that you'd eaten for a while. Your body CAN deal with one off's like that pretty well if you're lo-carbing.

BUT - I believe the effects of carbohydrates are cumulative. So the carbs you ate then will continue to effect your BG for a couple of days to come.

Again, a one off can be dealt with, but taking it everyday will likely cause your BG's to steadily rise.

Don't forget - it takes 2 days to deplete your carb stores, so if you had a slice every 3 days, your BG levels shouldn't take such a hit.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
BUT - I believe the effects of carbohydrates are cumulative. So the carbs you ate then will continue to effect your BG for a couple of days to come.

Not heard that one before Patch, thankfully my digestion is a fair bit quicker than that :lol:

A more likely answer is that one slice of wholemeal bread at 17g carbs would have a similar effect on me also Jen, if you are well controlled then 17g of carbs is not going to spike you too high.

Just goes to show that we don't all need to avoid carbs like the plaque despite what some might say :D

C

catherinecherub

Rely on your meter Jen it is your best friend. You may find that if illness, lack of exercise or stress are added to the equation that there will be a difference.
Not all carbs are equal and neither are they devil food as some would have us believe.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey good for you Jen! Iam so jealous! 17g of carb would take my BG way into double figures :( You might find that you can eat this at certain times of the day, so don't assume that just because it's good for you at breakfast it will be OK later in the day - you'll need to test and see. Still, enjoy your toast!

Smidge

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
Patch said:
You need to realise that the carbs you'd eaten were the probably the first significant carbs that you'd eaten for a while. Your body CAN deal with one off's like that pretty well if you're lo-carbing.

Again, a one off can be dealt with, but taking it everyday will likely cause your BG's to steadily rise.

Don't forget - it takes 2 days to deplete your carb stores, so if you had a slice every 3 days, your BG levels shouldn't take such a hit.

I think you're onto something here Patch. I have been keeping to my one slice of wholemeal bread a day and have found a slow but stead rise in my BG. I'm stopped eating it now and will just keep it for one offs when there is little alternative.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool - thanks for confirming it! I knew it was true for me, but I didn't have any evidence from anyone else.