Hi all, I’m seeing a doctor before work tomorrow but it’s unlikely I’ll be able to have blood drawn for testing until next week. (I may take matters into my own hands and buy a kit from a chemist.)

I feel convinced that I have diabetes setting in. My symptoms are (quite drastic) peripheral neuropathy and this tingling is especially problematic after eating sugar of any kind. In addition, I’m itching ‘there’, and often feel exhausted. My appetite is ravenous but I neither lose nor gain weight.

I am hypothyroid and take 150mcg levothyroxine each day. I rarely drink alcohol but have been addicted to nicotine lozenges for a number of years (although have recently given them up). My BMI is healthy at 23.

The confusion stems from having a fasting blood glucose test as recently as March. The reading was only 4.4. Could diabetes have set in so soon and with such strong symptoms in three months?

I am quite concerned of course, but will deal with whatever diagnosis I receive. It’s the not knowing right now that is the most stressful thing.

Could prediabetes be what’s happening to me when my blood glucose was not approaching prediabetes only three months ago?

I’d be enormously grateful for any thoughts. Wishing everyone well and with thanks even for reading this. X

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Whilst I understand your concerns we are extremely cautious about offering any form of diagnosis over the internet @Sillydillydally . None of us are qualified to provide such diagnosis.

Stating firmly that we are discussing what 'could' happen, yes it's possible that symptoms can come on fairly quickly. But it's best to get yourself checked out and come back to us when you have the results, if you need to.

Reactions: Prem51
Whilst I understand your concerns we are extremely cautious about offering any form of diagnosis over the internet @Sillydillydally . None of us are qualified to provide such diagnosis.

Stating firmly that we are discussing what 'could' happen, yes it's possible that symptoms can come on fairly quickly. But it's best to get yourself checked out and come back to us when you have the results, if you need to.

Thanks for that, urban racer.

I wasn’t expecting anyone to diagnose me but rather I was hopeful that someone might comment on the *likelihood* of being pre-diabetic based on the blood glucose reading of 4.4.

Can blood results race up very rapidly? Does this sort of thing happen? These were the kinds of questions I had in mind.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks for that, urban racer.

I wasn’t expecting anyone to diagnose me but rather I was hopeful that someone might comment on the *likelihood* of being pre-diabetic based on the blood glucose reading of 4.4.

Can blood results race up very rapidly? Does this sort of thing happen? These were the kinds of questions I had in mind.

To be clear, was the 4.4 reading taken as a finger prick with an instant result or did they send bloods off to a lab'?

To be clear, was the 4.4 reading taken as a finger prick with an instant result or did they send bloods off to a lab'?

It was blood drawn from a vein, first thing in the morning, and sent to a lab at the nearby hospital. In late Feb / early March! Yet if these present symptoms aren’t the result of diabetes I will eat my hat. You see, I was anxious even then. Does it make a difference?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it can happen, it just doesn't happen very often.
No way to know until your blood test. You can always try to get your doctor to do a quick finger prick test when you're there to rule out alarmingly high numbers while waiting for the 'real' blood test.
Good luck!.

Yes, it can happen, it just doesn't happen very often.
No way to know until your blood test. You can always try to get your doctor to do a quick finger prick test when you're there to rule out alarmingly high numbers while waiting for the 'real' blood test.
Good luck!.

Thanks for the tip. Fingerprick test was something I hadn’t considered and I’ll ask the gp if he can do this at the time of the appointment. Thanks again.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Regarding the itch - have you treated that at all?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your fasting blood glucose last March was 4.4 which is in the normal range.

Now you feel that you may have developed diabetes or prediabetes on the grounds of certain symptoms that may or may not be diabetes related or rather sound more like symptoms of diabetic complications.

Although the onset of diabetes can come about rapidly, assuming that we are talking about t2 diabetes that I am familiar with, it seems unlikely to me that within three months you would have become diabetic and developed complications such as neuropathy.

Also the most common symptoms of diabetes are thirst, drinking water continuously and frequent urination. You do not mention these.

As others have already stated we can not offer any kind of medical diagnosis.

You are doing well seeing your doctor so that you can be tested. At least then you will know.

Also your doctor may be able to diagnose and treat whatever is causing the symptoms you describe, which could be unrelated to diabetes.

In the meantime try not to worry too greatly and just to be on the safe side stay away from food rich in sugar and carbs

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Treatment for thyroid issues can impact on blood sugars so getting this tested regularly is important. You should eat as normal before a finger test because cutting out sugar and other carbs a few hours before might lead to a temporary lowered result (my mother always tried to 'be good' as she saw it just before testing so her GP thought her diabetes was better controlled than it really was!).

Did they do the HbA1c test last time? it takes longer to get the result but shows an average over 2-3 months in stead.

Thanks so much. I fear I have confused my endocrine system and possibly damaged it beyond repair by guzzling aspartame all day long (artificiality sweetened lozenges).

Yes, more than peeing and drinking water, I’m being ravaged by neuropathic tingling. I had it last summer (when it went away) but not to this extent. This could be b12 deficiency or thyroid related. The symptoms merge confusingly and unhelpfully.

It’s regular, long-term consumption of aspartame that’s causing me to be afraid. I hope my gp will re-test my blood but he seems to be on a personal mission to save the NHS money so I know I’ll have to be assertive about this.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not really, no! I’ve just learnt to put up with it.
In that case I would suggest a drs appointment to establish the cause of the itch - thrush is a potential cause which can be linked to high blood sugars so could give an extra reason to ask for a finger prick test.

In that case I would suggest a drs appointment to establish the cause of the itch - thrush is a potential cause which can be linked to high blood sugars so could give an extra reason to ask for a finger prick test.
Okay I’ll be sure to mention it in my appointment tomorrow. Thank you.

Your fasting blood glucose last March was 4.4 which is in the normal range.

Now you feel that you may have developed diabetes or prediabetes on the grounds of certain symptoms that may or may not be diabetes related or rather sound more like symptoms of diabetic complications.

Although the onset of diabetes can come about rapidly, assuming that we are talking about t2 diabetes that I am familiar with, it seems unlikely to me that within three months you would have become diabetic and developed complications such as neuropathy.

Also the most common symptoms of diabetes are thirst, drinking water continuously and frequent urination. You do not mention these.

As others have already stated we can not offer any kind of medical diagnosis.

You are doing well seeing your doctor so that you can be tested. At least then you will know.

Also your doctor may be able to diagnose and treat whatever is causing the symptoms you describe, which could be unrelated to diabetes.

In the meantime try not to worry too greatly and just to be on the safe side stay away from food rich in sugar and carbs
To be honest, I drink tea continuously through the day so probably wouldn’t notice if I was unusually thirsty or not!

D

Deleted Account

To be honest, I drink tea continuously through the day so probably wouldn’t notice if I was unusually thirsty or not!
What about first thing in the morning or during the night?
Before I was diagnosed, I was up 3 or 4 times every night needing a pee ... which is very unusual for me.

What about first thing in the morning or during the night?
Before I was diagnosed, I was up 3 or 4 times every night needing a pee ... which is very unusual for me.
Always once, sometimes twice. Not usually more than twice... although I take a mug of tea to bed with me at about 11.00/11.30pm so have put it down to that. Is twice enough to be a worry, do you think?

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I’m seeing a doctor before work tomorrow but it’s unlikely I’ll be able to have blood drawn for testing until next week. (I may take matters into my own hands and buy a kit from a chemist.)

I feel convinced that I have diabetes setting in. My symptoms are (quite drastic) peripheral neuropathy and this tingling is especially problematic after eating sugar of any kind. In addition, I’m itching ‘there’, and often feel exhausted. My appetite is ravenous but I neither lose nor gain weight.

I am hypothyroid and take 150mcg levothyroxine each day. I rarely drink alcohol but have been addicted to nicotine lozenges for a number of years (although have recently given them up). My BMI is healthy at 23.

The confusion stems from having a fasting blood glucose test as recently as March. The reading was only 4.4. Could diabetes have set in so soon and with such strong symptoms in three months?

I am quite concerned of course, but will deal with whatever diagnosis I receive. It’s the not knowing right now that is the most stressful thing.

Could prediabetes be what’s happening to me when my blood glucose was not approaching prediabetes only three months ago?

I’d be enormously grateful for any thoughts. Wishing everyone well and with thanks even for reading this. X
Highly unlikely for you to get diabetic or pre diabetic this early.
Wait for your results.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Whatever the results come back and let us know how you are doing. My ND is pushing for a B12 test as my neuropathy is not improving quickly even though I am now at pre-diabetic bg levels. Maybe ask your doctor for this test if it is available where you live. Meanwhile we are sending positive vibes to you.

Last edited: