Confused mum of young child

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies @urbanracer. Sounds like the 10.8 mmol/l glucose level isn't cause for concern tonight. I'm not a parent of a 4 year old who is being evaluated for diabetes so don't have the knowledge to assist the mother.

Nicky1875

@Nicky1875 Not sure if you'll get a response tonight. The only information I can provide is to clean your daughter's finger prior to testing to ensure the test isn't affected by sugar on the surface of the skin. Sometimes I forget to wash my hands prior to testing and get a high reading like that. :)
Thankyou winnie53, yes washed her hands before bed, now we will have to see what tomorrow brings

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ended up buying a blood glucose test today, we ate out tonight so she didn't eat until 8'oclock and I've waited until she's asleep, so just tested blood so that's 2hrs after food and it said 10.8 I have no idea if that's good or bad!

What did she eat?

Nicky1875

She had macaroni cheese but only had 1/4 of it and 2 scoops of icecream with chocolate bits sprinkled on. I've done a morning one and that was 4.8 and from what I've read that's OK so feel abit happier now

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those results don't suggest undiagnosed diabetes to me. 10.8 is a big high, but perfectly normal in a non diabetic after a sweet treat like chocolate ice cream. 4.8 is perfect as fasting blood sugar.

Perhaps she just has some kind of uti causing the thirst/weeing, odd urine test results. I hope the follow up with the doctor confirms there's nothing to worry about and she feels back to herself soon.

Nicky1875

Those results don't suggest undiagnosed diabetes to me. 10.8 is a big high, but perfectly normal in a non diabetic after a sweet treat like chocolate ice cream. 4.8 is perfect as fasting blood sugar.

Perhaps she just has some kind of uti causing the thirst/weeing, odd urine test results. I hope the follow up with the doctor confirms there's nothing to worry about and she feels back to herself soon.
Thankyou, No uti that was checked, it was vanilla ice cream it had chocolate bits sprinkled on it

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm on uncertain ground here. 10.8 mmol/l (180 mg/dl) 2 hours after dinner doesn't sound normal to me for a non-diabetic. I thought glucose levels returned to normal in 2 hours in non-diabetics.

In type 2 diabetes, fasting glucose level is the last to fail in the development of type 2 diabetes. Hyperinsulinema preceeds hyperglycemia by decades in type 2 diabetic adults. I've heard of young children developing type 2 diabetes but have never encountered it before in a child, teenager, or young adult.

@Nicky1875 what's happening with your daughter may be normal. I don't know. Right now I have more questions than answers.

Type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes can be genetic. Nicky does anyone else in your family have diabetes? If yes, type 1, type 2, or both?

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She had macaroni cheese but only had 1/4 of it and 2 scoops of icecream with chocolate bits sprinkled on. I've done a morning one and that was 4.8 and from what I've read that's OK so feel abit happier now

That sounds better. But do keep monitoring her. It's still theoretically possible she has very early Type 1. So just be alert and go back to the doctors if you need to.

Do let us know the result of her follow up test.

Nicky1875

I'm on uncertain ground here. 10.8 mmol/l (180 mg/dl) 2 hours after dinner doesn't sound normal to me for a non-diabetic. I thought glucose levels returned to normal in 2 hours in non-diabetics.

In type 2 diabetes, fasting glucose level is the last to fail in the development of type 2 diabetes. Hyperinsulinema preceeds hyperglycemia by decades in type 2 diabetic adults. I've heard of young children developing type 2 diabetes but have never encountered it before in a child, teenager, or young adult.

@Nicky1875 what's happening with your daughter may be normal. I don't know. Right now I have more questions than answers.

Type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes can be genetic. Nicky does anyone else in your family have diabetes? If yes, type 1, type 2, or both?
She has type 2 from her grandmother fathers side, but she's definitely not overweight, levels have all been normal today, its so weird glucose and protein in urine Thursday but fasting blood test on Friday fine, then levels of 10.8 Saturday 2hrs after eating but all normal today...we will see what urine shows on thursday doctor says either way she thinks she should have regular urine checks now.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nicky, that's good that there's not a lot of diabetes in her family and that your daughter's weight is normal. I wish I knew more about how normal glucose levels rise and fall in non-diabetic people. Will have a look around...

Okay, Jenny Ruhl uploaded part of her book on her website here... http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/sample_txt.pdf You might find the section "Blood Sugar Control In Normal People" that begins on page 10 interesting. You'll need a blood glucose converter so you can convert mg/dl to mmol/l. Here's one... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

It's good that you're concerned, continuing to monitor, and working with her doctors. Fingers and toes crossed that her recent symptoms and concerning "glucose and protein in the urine" is just a fluke and that she's not developing type 1 diabetes. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be extremely unlikely that she had Type 2 @Nicky1875 The only concern is Type 1 from the sound of it. If all her tests have been normal today then that's great :)

@Winnie53 You can look at the WHO diagnostic criteria for diabetes (Type 1) if you're interested. Blood sugar in non-diabetics does fluctuate. I've tested a number of my friends without diabetes and found it interesting to see.

@Nicky1875 Hopefully that glucose was a one-off, along with the protein. You did absolutely the right thing getting it checked out, and ongoing checks sound a good idea :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@azure, I agree with everything you've said. :)

This is unrelated to Nicky's daughter because I don't think there's any possibility that she's developing type 2 diabetes...

As for glucose fluctuations of your friends, hyperinsulinema precedes hyperglycemia by a decade or more so it's possible to have friends who have normal fasting glucose levels but already have diabetes based on the findings Joseph Kraft, M.D.'s research. In other words, the lab tests and standards used today to diagnose pre-diabetes are missing a lot of people. Here's the briefest overview that I've found on what Kraft found - (you only need to watch the first part, it's fascinating)...

My blood glucose problems started 35 years ago, but I didn't meet the criteria for pre-diabetes until 15 years ago.

Watch only if you're curious, of course. I know you're moderating and that takes a lot of time. :)

Reactions: azure