Confused newbie

Janeh63

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I was diagnosed Type 2 around 4 weeks ago, H1bC 9%.
Initially I was prescribed Metformin but it made me feel really sick, I was then swapped to Gliclazide 60 mg, once a day.
My blood sugars returned to within normal range almost instantly and my Dr advised trying no medication and see if it can be managed with diet and exercise. I have been sticking rigidly to a Keto diet and exercising each day and my levels have not risen above 7 at all ( mostly between 4.8- 5.5) 4 kgs gone as well, feeling happy so far.
My question is what is considered a reasonable rise after a meal? Sometimes I have no rise at all, sometimes a small change.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is what is considered a reasonable rise after a meal? Sometimes I have no rise at all, sometimes a small change.
We usually say no more than 2 mmol/l but if you are eating keto then I'd expect very little to no rise as being perfect.
Sounds like you are having great success.. keep it up!

Reactions: pavlosn

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on managing your levels so quickly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your achievements so far. That is excellent.

The most desirable rise at the 2 hour mark is zero, or even minus! 2mmol/ is the maximum advisable.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I was diagnosed Type 2 around 4 weeks ago, H1bC 9%.
Initially I was prescribed Metformin but it made me feel really sick, I was then swapped to Gliclazide 60 mg, once a day.
My blood sugars returned to within normal range almost instantly and my Dr advised trying no medication and see if it can be managed with diet and exercise. I have been sticking rigidly to a Keto diet and exercising each day and my levels have not risen above 7 at all ( mostly between 4.8- 5.5) 4 kgs gone as well, feeling happy so far.
For someone who claims confusion, you're doing extremely well! :) Congratulations, you've got this thing under control in record breaking time. (Insert hearty pat on the back here!). And I agree, 2 hours after first bite, a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l is fine.

Janeh63

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your achievements so far. That is excellent.

The most desirable rise at the 2 hour mark is zero, or even minus! 2mmol/ is the maximum advisable.

Thanks so much, my last reading was 5.7 before dinner, rose to 6.0, 2hours after, and is now back to 5.5.
Hoping I can keep this up

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Having the right diet is certainly the best approach. Note that standard Metformin can be replaced by Metformin SR (Slow Release) if you have bowel/sickness problems. Gliclazide has a very different mechanism and more suitable for those where the pancreas is known to be failing rather than 'standard' T2 where there may be some excess weight.