Confused now… surprised by post prandial test.

Zippy1st

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday we had guests around so I risked: a glass of white wine, spinach and courgette lasagne, low carb bread…1 slice, Greek salad, small slice apple tart and cream. I expected a spike but my 2 he test was 7.6! So, encouraged, today at lunch, I had what a thought was a lower carb lunch: small rocket, bacon, walnut , baby tomato and balsamic sals with 1 slice low carb bread, and a piece of apple tart and cream. No wine. My 2hr test was 8.7. I am gutted. How come? I am only 7 st 4 and I am just disappearing. Irony was that my gp looked at my husband this week and said she would test his sugars but he didn’t ’look diabetic’ grrr.

Must admit, I have relaxed because of guests but I really thought my test results would go down with careful management. This is the first time in months that have had a pudding.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The alcohol in the wine would have delayed the glucose reaction to the carbs in the meal. Was the wine a dry or a sweet wine? If the cream was real cream, then this too would have a glucose delaying effect, but you had that on both days.

Zippy1st

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wine was dry. Generally, I do not have a sweet tooth. I never have cakes, biscuits etc but this was a homemade French apple tart. I forgot to say that I also had two rashers of bacon in the salad but being meat, I don’t suppose that affects
Funny thing is, my heart rate went up after first bite of tart ( but not yesterday), then I had a big fatigue slump/ sleep after the meal. Classic. You wouldn’t believe how small our meals are… sooo unfair.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that the apple pie might be the culprit, pastry and possibly added sugar?

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that dry wine balances / reduces my BG levels (liver needs to deal with alcohol before it deals with everything else). I need to try and track this a bit more scientifically, but it looks like when my glucose stores are depleated following a low carb diet and I eat some carbs, they get 'soaked' up without impacting my BG too much. If I then try and eat carbs again, it will spike my BG. Looks like the first lot gets put away in storage.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Irony was that my gp looked at my husband this week and said she would test his sugars but he didn’t ’look diabetic’ grrr.
Between having my first hba1c and getting the results, we went on holiday. At the poolside I met a recently retired endocrinologist and we started talking diabetes and I said I was awaiting my results. He looked at me , said I wouldn't have diabetes, then pointed out all the men with rotund bellies saying they would get it.
Guess what, yes I did already have it.
Moral, never fully trust a doctor who only goes on looks!

• Funny
Reactions: Melgar

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Between having my first hba1c and getting the results, we went on holiday. At the poolside I met a recently retired endocrinologist and we started talking diabetes and I said I was awaiting my results. He looked at me , said I wouldn't have diabetes, then pointed out all the men with rotund bellies saying they would get it.
Guess what, yes I did already have it.
Moral, never fully trust a doctor who only goes on looks!
Sorry @MrsA2 I found your last sentence funny, but true. It's sad, but I always research anything Drs tell me. There are good ones who go above and beyond, okay ones that seem to be riding it out until they retire, and disinterested / incompetent ones who shouldn't be Dr's at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday we had guests around so I risked: a glass of white wine, spinach and courgette lasagne, low carb bread…1 slice, Greek salad, small slice apple tart and cream. I expected a spike but my 2 he test was 7.6! So, encouraged, today at lunch, I had what a thought was a lower carb lunch: small rocket, bacon, walnut , baby tomato and balsamic sals with 1 slice low carb bread, and a piece of apple tart and cream. No wine. My 2hr test was 8.7. I am gutted. How come? I am only 7 st 4 and I am just disappearing. Irony was that my gp looked at my husband this week and said she would test his sugars but he didn’t ’look diabetic’ grrr.

Must admit, I have relaxed because of guests but I really thought my test results would go down with careful management. This is the first time in months that have had a pudding.
@Zippy1st, I love that name. Balsamic sals do you mean balsamic vinegar? Balsamic vinegar has sugars. Your apple tart will have wheat flour and sugars in the ingredients, both will raise your blood sugars. The wine, not much, but it will take your liver's attention until it has dealt with the alcohol. Fats slow metabolism down too. So that will likely delay the metabolism of your meal, hence your sugars stayed up longer.