Confused type 1

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
This is a bit hard to explain, but I'm having real trouble.
I will get all the information out of the way then explain.
I am on an insulin pump. My basal rates are:
00:00-06:00= 0.700
06:00-12:00= 0.650
12:00-00:00= 0.600
I also am taking Metformin XR 1000mg (500 twice a day) for PCOS.
I started a ketogenic diet, but I decided to make sure all my Basals were set up right. I did the fasting checks for all blocks (night,morning,afternoon,dinner). The only one I needed to change was my evening. I have been taking insulin for any protein. However my blood glucose are continuously high after breakfast and dinner unless I fast(when I'm checking Basals). After lunch I go low. I have the same amount of protein and fat with each meal and take the same amount for each. How can I have different results for each. Also I haven't been exercising while i adapt to the new diet. It's really frustrating. Also any protein I eat bring my glucose up. Why is this happening to me and no one else with diabetes? They said when I do basal checks I could eat carb free food, but I didn't because I knew it would raise my glucose immediately. It's really annoying me because I feel it's all getting too difficult to control now and I'm always going to feel ill. Can someone help me or maybe shep some light :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As the saying goes there's no such thing as a free meal and this is particularly so with type 1 diabetes. Your not alone in that you have to have insulin with meals that contain protein and fat, very few can get away with not bolusing so be don't be hard on yourself.

I'm not a pump user so will 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that other pump users will advise. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Type1insuliner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No way, this is exactly whats been happening to me the past few months, and I have been goig the gym every other day for an hour so I expected my sugars to drop overnight, but been getting up every morning with blood sugars ranging from 10-15.8. Only thing I can think of to explain it is changes of season (my sugars seem to go higher in the summer, not lower like I was told they might do because of the heat)

I am on an insulin pump and take 500mg metformin three times a day for PCOS and thyroxine for underactive thyroid. I put my background insulin from 3am to 7am by 0.05 last night! and woke up with blood sugar of 5.8 this morning wooo hoooo :) It must be the friggin dawn phenominom.

How **** is it that its all trial and error. Its such hard work. If I didn't go the gym and just sat on my **** all day my blood sugars would be nice and stable. I also think I need to take a bit of insulin for protein, though I havent got a clue how much I can take, and Icant be doing with hypos, especially when I'm at work. I'm a nurse on a surgical ward and most other nurses havent got a clue about hypos or highs.....they think you have a problem and are ot looking after yourself if you have hypos....when in fact its coz ur trying to keep a tight control.

Oh well, rant over. How you solving your dilema?

Lizzie :)

Reactions: 2 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Tbh, I'm not. Today has been the worst day in a month. I woke up with BG of 15.1 took insulin to correct it and a little for the protein. I checked 2 hours later and it was 13.9 and my pump beeped to say I would need to put more insulin as I didn't have enough active insulin to cover it. So I took a correction and later before lunch it was 13.4. I took yet more and all day long my blood glucose have sat at 13.4. ALL DAY. I have been really upset. I have changed my set 5 times and changed the insulin to a newer vial the last time and they have only just come down to 11.2.
The problem I'm having is knowing how much to take for my protein as every day seems different for me.
Claire

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If sugars are not in range consistently, you need to look at basal. A diet with extra protein and or fat to usual amounts normally need more basal as sugar levels can raise gradually for extended periods of of time, so basal tests when on this diet can be irrelevant. will.have to learn basal ratios and bolus ratios as if newly diagnosed.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Yes. I found that out the hard way. I wasted 2 weeks doing my Basals and of course when you are testing your Basals you are fasting... :/ so you don't get a true reading of what your Basals do with food ... I have been giving myself dual wave boluses. Not helping ... :/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've had great results doing low carb (fallen of the wagon recently, but getting back on tomorrow), but because you are forcing your body to burn fats you will be producing ketones, those ketones make you more insulin resistant so you'll need more of it in your basal. I had good experience with trying a temp basal and up it by just 10%at a time during the day, in the end I needed 20%more basal and I was fine, you do not need to bolus for protein your body uses it in a different way to carbs. Good luck.