Confused with sugar readings

markb40

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for the confusion, I don't take enzymes I just try and eat more pancreas friendly foods.

I had severe pancreatitis oct 2016 due to medication and was in hosipal for 4 months and lost over 50% due to necrosis, I haven't had any surgery to remove the dead part as I kept getting sepsis and they didn't want to disturb anything.

I will have a look into the Libre sensors.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for the confusion, I don't take enzymes I just try and eat more pancreas friendly foods.

I had severe pancreatitis oct 2016 due to medication and was in hosipal for 4 months and lost over 50% due to necrosis, I haven't had any surgery to remove the dead part as I kept getting sepsis and they didn't want to disturb anything.

I will have a look into the Libre sensors.

Oh heck - You really have been through the mill. Many moons ago, I had over 4 months in hospital myself, so I sort of get it. The feeling of liberation on going home (even though I'd been able to have days and the odd weekend out) was very scary! It takes a long time to get over that sort of time out of the real world, so I hope you're generally well now.

I think you really would learn a lot from the Libre. I know I did when I started using it, and I don't have any of your complicating factors.

Reactions: markb40

markb40

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh heck - You really have been through the mill. Many moons ago, I had over 4 months in hospital myself, so I sort of get it. The feeling of liberation on going home (even though I'd been able to have days and the odd weekend out) was very scary! It takes a long time to get over that sort of time out of the real world, so I hope you're generally well now.

I think you really would learn a lot from the Libre. I know I did when I started using it, and I don't have any of your complicating factors.
Thank you, I will certainly give the Libre a try in the near future. I'm generally keeping well now just trying to keep on top of the diabetes, I also have long qt syndrome and have a defib fitted as pain and stress can cause cardiac arrest so I'm trying to keep on top of it now so I can try and avoid complications in the future which could trigger the long qt.

Yes 4 months is certainly a long time when you are out of you normal surroundings, hope everything is ok with you now.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might just be missing the high point - sugars can be in the blood stream in minutes but starches are broken down after the food has left the stomach - they are acted on in an alkaline environment and the stomach is acidic.
The high carb foods which you are eating seem to be things most diabetics would avoid - so I doubt that many have made the same experiments.
Metformin doesn't act to reduce blood glucose, it isn't that sort of drug.
@Resurgam quoting the last sentence of your post that Metformin is not the kind of drug that reduces blood glucose level I'll be interested in what it actually does. Yours truly takes 500mg of Metformin twice daily only for my T2D and my bg is being controlled in conjunction with LCHF diet. Indeed my last Hb1Ac Dec. 10, 2018 was 5.9%

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I will certainly give the Libre a try in the near future. I'm generally keeping well now just trying to keep on top of the diabetes, I also have long qt syndrome and have a defib fitted as pain and stress can cause cardiac arrest so I'm trying to keep on top of it now so I can try and avoid complications in the future which could trigger the long qt.

Yes 4 months is certainly a long time when you are out of you normal surroundings, hope everything is ok with you now.

I reckon it took me about 5 years to be properly over my long hospitalisation, but that was many moons ago. I'm very lucky to be very well indeed these days.

Reactions: markb40

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Not wishing to appear crass......but why, with all the other health problems you have, are you deliberately over taxing your poor beleaguered pancreas by deliberately doing things you know will upset it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam quoting the last sentence of your post that Metformin is not the kind of drug that reduces blood glucose level I'll be interested in what it actually does. Yours truly takes 500mg of Metformin twice daily only for my T2D and my bg is being controlled in conjunction with LCHF diet. Indeed my last Hb1Ac Dec. 10, 2018 was 5.9%
There are various claims for what Metformin does. Mostly it prevents the liver releasing glucose, and I think it must also inhibit the absorption of sugars from the gut - which is what causes the diarrhea some people experience, along with the bloating and gas as the gut flora and fauna get to party. It also alters the cell membrane to increase insulin sensitivity though by a different route to normal - if I remember correctly.

markb40

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not wishing to appear crass......but why, with all the other health problems you have, are you deliberately over taxing your poor beleaguered pancreas by deliberately doing things you know will upset it.
Because if I didn't try and solve it myself and followed what the GP or even the recommended low carb diet I would have HB readings in the 70' 80's and 90's. It is because of what I have learnt I have been able to add sugar to get my Pancreas working better.

markb40

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's catch 22 do I over work the pancreas to get more control the diabetes or try and look after the pancreas at the expense of high HB readings.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are various claims for what Metformin does. Mostly it prevents the liver releasing glucose, and I think it must also inhibit the absorption of sugars from the gut - which is what causes the diarrhea some people experience, along with the bloating and gas as the gut flora and fauna get to party. It also alters the cell membrane to increase insulin sensitivity though by a different route to normal - if I remember correctly.

Taking metformin results in a reduction in blood glucose (for those who tolerate it).

This link shows that the average reduction in blood glucose is approx 10 in UK HbA1c units (and 1.1% in US HbA1c units).
Some studies show a greater reduction.
https://www.jwatch.org/jw201204030000003/2012/04/03/how-much-does-metformin-lower-hba-1c-level
https://www.diabetesnet.com/about-diabetes/diabetes-medications/metformin

It is therefore inaccurate and misleading to state that Metformin doesn’t lower blood glucose.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does not extract glucose from the blood once it is present - it stops the liver from secreting glucose, which could well result in a long term result such as a lower Hba1c - but it is not the type of drug which reduces the amount of glucose in the blood once it is there.
There are drugs which cause excretion of sugar, stopping thee kidneys reabsorbing it during filtration.
There are various insulins which act as the body's own insulin does, as closely as can be contrived.
Metformin is not one of those.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does not extract glucose from the blood once it is present - it stops the liver from secreting glucose, which could well result in a long term result such as a lower Hba1c - but it is not the type of drug which reduces the amount of glucose in the blood once it is there.
There are drugs which cause excretion of sugar, stopping thee kidneys reabsorbing it during filtration.
There are various insulins which act as the body's own insulin does, as closely as can be contrived.
Metformin is not one of those.

Blood glucose is reduced as a result of taking Metformin, whatever the mechanism. HbA1cs reduce in patients. This is recorded in study after study.

To claim otherwise is factually incorrect and misleading.
Please do not give out misleading information on the forum.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your response to my question on the role of Metformin in the reduction of bgl.