confused ??

sue999

hi everyone
i was diagnosed as type 2 last novenber and have struggled to get my levels down. they range between 8 -13 most days. i have been really careful with what i have been eating & have sometimes still had double figure readings (12-14) even though i was strict with myself. today it was my daughters birthday & we went to pizza hut. i had what i wanted & didnt worry. had a pizza & a big bowl of ice cream with a load off sweets on :) tested when i came home about an hr and a half later & the reading was 10.4. i was expecting it to be about 19-20. can any one explain why this is? i have 2 meters & checked it on both as i thought the meter might of been faulty. im on 4x metformin

lilibet

Hi
Pizza is notorious for a delayed rise due to the fat content slowing down the carbohydrates - not called pizza effect for nothing! Ice cream too is quite fatty so may add to this. You might find that with a test in another hour or so, you see higher numbers.

Of course, you might find that in terms of carbohydrates that what you ate there is not very very different in carb amounts from what you are usually eating but without knowing your diet its hard to say
You say you are 'careful' but some people often mean low fat, lots fruit, grains, brown rice etc but of course its less about that and more about carbs for most diabetics.

Also you are on Met x4 daily so you would expect some help with your grub. IIRC there is something about 2nd phase insulin but im sure other T2's can correct my poorly remembered comments much much more effectively than me!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Lilibet,

Forgive my ignorance but what is “IIRC” please? I am trying to fathom out the last line of our post and it might help. :?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
totally agree with the above, if u had tested blood at an hrly interval im sure u would have seen a rise :)

sue999

yes- you are right. tested again 3 hrs after the meal & it went up to 12 :oops: which is still lower than other "healthier" meals ive had. i think i need to change my medication as i doesnt matter how hard i try i never have low readings. not even in the mornings :evil: just worried in case drs put me on that pill that causes weight gain that i have read on here. some thing begining with G ?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lilibet said:
Of course, you might find that in terms of carbohydrates that what you ate there is not very very different in carb amounts from what you are usually eating but without knowing your diet its hard to say
You say you are 'careful' but some people often mean low fat, lots fruit, grains, brown rice etc but of course its less about that and more about carbs for most diabetics.

lilibet has given you some good advice here - perhaps we could help more if you let us know some of what you eat in your normal diet - if you are following NHS guidelines most of us find that this diet is really bad in terms of too many carbs for us diabetics. Being aware of the carbs you eat may help get your levels down - mainly rice, potatoes, pasta, bread even wholemeal - all the stuff they say you should eat is actually not good for us!

I don't low carb but eat to my meter and have worked out I can tolerate small amounts of new pots in skins, a couple of table spoons of basmati rice, bread but only burgen bread and def no pasta! - I am lucky I can take a small potion of porridge too but not other cereals.

As to the pizza etc I bet if you tested every hour for the next 8 hrs after you would see still a rise - pizza is a really really bad food to have for diabetics. When I was very first diagnosed I tested and tested to see what I could tolerate - after a visit to pizza hut and a salad buffet with one slice of pizza pinched of my sons plate my BS rose for over 6 hrs reaching a spike of 18! :shock:

I don't even attempt to smell them these days :(

As to the med I think you mean Gliclizide (sp?) - if you need it to get your levels down try not to worry too much about the weight gain - I have been on it since diagnosis in June last year - max dose and now reduced by half and I have lost over 5st whilst on it.

Its not a magic bullet you can't go back to eating what you want you still have to control your carb intake etc but it does help get those numbers down which is most important to begin with

sue999

hi lovinglife
thanks for that- i know now to avoid pizza :D i have kept a food diary for the last 3 weeks and have cut out the potatoes pasta bread ect . been eating grilled chicken breast & veg , salmon& veg soup, oatcakes, muller lites, malt loaf. have had no chocolate,cakes, biscuits (apart from rich teas)or crisps for 3 wks and have lost half a stone :lol: so must be doing something right. but am still getting high readings. are there other meds dr could give me aprart from gliclizide?