Confused

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much in dislikes except being cold and it makes the bones ache lol.
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
Have 2 different glucose meters and getting 2 different readings which are 100 points in difference which one do I trust, the lower reading or the higher reading?

D

Deleted Account

It is not possible to know which meter is most accurate - it could be both as BG meters only have to be 15% accurate.
So, of your two meters, one could be your true reading MINUS 15% whereas the other could be your true reading PLUS 15% which would show as a 30% difference between your two meters.
So the absolute difference (100 points) is not the important factor - it is the percentage difference.
Without knowing what your readings actually are, it is difficult to know whether they differ by more than this tolerance.

If they are within this tolerance, either should be ok as long as you keep to one meter only.

If they differ by more than this tolerance, I would recommend getting a test solution for the meters to confirm which is correct.

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
It is not possible to know which meter is most accurate - it could be both as BG meters only have to be 15% accurate.
So, of your two meters, one could be your true reading MINUS 15% whereas the other could be your true reading PLUS 15% which would show as a 30% difference between your two meters.
So the absolute difference (100 points) is not the important factor - it is the percentage difference.
Without knowing what your readings actually are, it is difficult to know whether they differ by more than this tolerance.

If they are within this tolerance, either should be ok as long as you keep to one meter only.

If they differ by more than this tolerance, I would recommend getting a test solution for the meters to confirm which is correct.
First meter read 245 and second read 145. How do I determine the %

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Am I correct that you are not in the UK? We use mmol/l here, which shouldn't be anywhere near a 100 figure. :)

So are you talking mg/dL ?
Here is a link to a converter, if you want to see what I mean.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

If your units are mg/dL then the difference of 100 would be 5.6mmol/l which is a big difference.

There are a few different things that could be going on, and you may have to try several to pin down the problem
- the battery in one of your meters could be going flat
- your hands may have food residue on them, affecting the reading
- you may be using old, out of date strips, or strips that have been left in hot conditions (e.g. a sunny windowsill)
- one of the meters may be faulty

Is your blood glucose high at the moment? Sometimes meters become less accurate in the very high or very low ends of their range.

I would wash and rinse your hands thoroughly, and then re-test your blood with both meters.

And then, as @helensaramay says, they will still have some variance, simply because the technology is not 100% accurate.

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
Long day today trying to do a lot of reading and researching up on the type 2 diabetes. With the 2 of us with diabetes and the 2 of us act different to the foods we eat it's a struggle. My honey he is struggling and trying so hard to get his diabetes under control with an A1C of 13.7 and mine at 7.0 his levels are like a roller coaster and mine are staying under the safe range. Wish I could figure this all out and help to keep it under control we both are new diabetics. I was diagnosed may 2017 and he was diagnosed February of 2018. What to do wht to do. If anyone has any suggestions that may help I am open to all and any suggestions. We have been changing our ways of eating and doing more walking and drinking more water. So so so confused

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have a look at this websites Low Carb Programme. You both could benefit. Especially since your newly diagnosed.
I found it a godsend and I've been type2 for 40yrs+.
I think the best thing you both could do right now.
Or hang around the forum and pick up as much as you can on changing your diets?
Diet is the biggest help for any type2. Then exercise, then meds. (If diet and exercise doesn't help enough).
It's nightime here in UK but there are a few U.S. members, New Zealand, Thailand and Aussie members often hanging around at different times.
Otherwise post and we are more than happy to reply on rising ;).
Try not to burn yourself out with too much info. Start with a good low carb diet that can be fitted into your busy life. Walking more too.

I've just noticed you have posted in the insulin taking section of the forum. Are you both on insulin, so soon?

warning* If taking insulin check with your health provider about reducing carbs with insulin injections. you should need for less insulin on far less carbs. Take medical advice FIRST.

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
He is on the insulin humilin r per sliding scale and humilin n 15 units 2 times a day cuz he developed severe cellulitis and was almost sepsis that's when the docs realized his diabetes he was hospitalized for 10 days while there developed an abscess the size of his calf had to have drainage tubes put in. Myself I am on metformin 500mg twice a day on the extended release. When he was hospitalized his levels were over 500mmg/dl.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
He is on the insulin humilin r per sliding scale and humilin n 15 units 2 times a day cuz he developed severe cellulitis and was almost sepsis that's when the docs realized his diabetes he was hospitalized for 10 days while there developed an abscess the size of his calf had to have drainage tubes put in. Myself I am on metformin 500mg twice a day on the extended release. When he was hospitalized his levels were over 500mmg/dl.
What is his diet?
You both would benefit from low carb eating but his insulin will give him dangerous hypos so he'd have to reduce their dosage. Does he carb/insulin ratio per meal or set amounts for every dosage?
He would have to be extra careful and monitor his bgs heavily til his insulin is reduced to suit his new diet.
You may find you will no longer need meds and achieve remission, fairly easily.
I'm more like your partner. On insulin and highly insulin resistant due to body fat content. Is your partner severely overweight?
Many posters are like you. Newly diagnosed and find low carbing a huge help.
I'm an old diagnosed diabetic with huge insulin need, even on low carb but less insulin on it than off it. I'm unable to exercise much due to bulging discs. Walking is very painful. I'm awaiting bariatric surgery on the nhs. I need to lose 9-10st but have lost 3st on my own with my own version of low carb diet as the high fat element stopped me losing weight.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
He is on a 1800 calorie Ada diet and his insulin is a sliding scale ratio / carb. This morning his levels were 218 before breakfast he had 3/4 cup wheaties with half cup of almond milk his sugar levels raised to 303mmg/do after 2hrs of taking his insulin whjich was 12 units and eating breakfast.

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
My partner is 320 pounds so yes severely overweivht.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Have 2 different glucose meters and getting 2 different readings which are 100 points in difference which one do I trust, the lower reading or the higher reading?

I would suggest getting a test solution for both meters and testing them both
And stick to one meter

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
Thanks for the information we figured it out after using a testing solution that the strips he had for his meter were bad once we switched to new strips everything is ok now

Reactions: Brunneria

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wheaties - that would be a high carb cereal? It's not something I would even consider as food.
Yes with insulin diabetics can eat more carbs, but I'd really recommend cutting down the dense carbs in order to get control of BG levels - it isn't the calories which are going to make the difference but the carbs - diabetes is mostly about the amounts of carbohydrates eaten.
Switching to foods which are protein and fat - and delicious, is the route many type twos take. You must take care and keep testing, but with such high BG readings the insulin isn't counteracting the amounts of carbs eaten.
I just have to stick to low carb foods to need no medication at all, and I dropped weight without even trying. I'm trying to gain muscle now, so getting thinner and maintaining my weightloss. My clothes keep dropping off !!

Reactions: ickihun and rom35

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Less carb = less insulin = less fat building hormone.

Your partner will lose weight on low carb and feel hugely better for it.
I bet currently he has carb craving binges? No satisfying him, his hunger or satiety. Fill him up on beef, lamb, chicken then veg stir-fry. Fill him up on eggs, nuts but only nuts before bed and a small handful. Does he like egg mayo.
What I do is any hospital sandwich I remove half of the bread or all if able. I wrap salad garnish in beef slices or chicken. The meat becomes the sandwich slices not bread. It's delicious. Leek sheets instead of pasta for lasagna.
Its so fun and yummy!

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
Want to say thank you to everyone that has given me information after going over what everyone has replied we now think we have figured out the insulin/carb ratio for my honey and its working for the past2 days he has been below150

Lopez9628

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't like dishonesty.
Don't like heights.
Hello everyone, well for the past few days my fiance has been sick with flu like symptoms and his levels are going crazy. Mine are finally being stable.
Any suggestions on how to get him back on track while he is sick.
On my been able to mostly eat chicken noodle soup and oatmeal no crackers for the soup and no sugar or milk for the oatmeal just plain steel cut organic oatmeal.