Confused!!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting blood sugars on my meter have been consistently over 7 even 7.8 for the last month or so .
I had an HbA1c yesterday and it is 44 which is 6.2 in old money. Does this mean I am in the clear and don't have to worry about going on Metformin after 15 years of low carb/low GI diet and exercise control ? Those fasting figures have really been bothering me. They started after getting a shoulder impingement. Yes I have been in pain and when waking every 2 hours during the night which I have done since menopause I find it difficult to find a position to get back to sleep where my arm doesn't ache.

I look forward to hearing what whoever is in the know can tell me. Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With an HbA1c of 44 it is unlikely your GP will prescribe medication.

Your high morning fasting levels are probably due to your restless nights. Sleeplessness can cause havoc with morning levels. Has your GPO any suggestions as to how you can help with this disturbed sleep?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a complementary therapist myself I stay away from doctors. Unfortunately type 2 is rife in my family from my skinny father's side. Even my sister and her son have it. I am the only one who has managed to stay off meds.
Re my 2 hour sleep stints I have decided that I wake at the end of each sleep cycle as I have always gone back to sleep immediately. I did mention it many years ago and the doctor said sleeping tablets wouldn't make any difference I obviously get enough sleep as am fine during the day and don't go to bed until late. I have tried melatonin and valerian and they don't change things except make me groggy in the morning.
The high numbers are only since the shoulder pain and that will take months to sort according to my physio.