Confused

Steve1885

Hi
I need a bit of help as I am getting confused with my readings. I was diagnosed last year as type 1 and use levimear and nova rapid and was doing ok managing. Latest blood tests were not good with sugars up. This morning I was 7.9 prior to breakfast. I had 85g of carb in a bowl of shredders. I injected 10 units of nova rapid and an hour later I am at 14.2. I was told 10g carb =1 unit but this seams not to be working. Thoughts and advice please? I take 30 levimear in morning and 20 at night.

Reactions: mike@work

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Steve1885, From my experience as a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion:
Do you have the same breakfast each morning? And how old are you?
And according to the Carb to Insulin ratio you mentioned of 10g:1 unit, the calculation I made for your Novarapid dose would have been 8 1/2 Units. So I expect you thought 10 units would be heaps?
BSL measurement: I also note that the most usual time recommended to test BSLs after meals is > 90 minutes and more usually 120 minutes or 2 hours. So BSL at the 1 hour mark does not tell us (and you) enough. It could be higher at the 2 hour mark or not.
Assuming that the 2 hour result could be higher:
Possibilities: Maybe that ratio has changed if you are growing and going through a growth spurt. growth hormones make insulin less effective.
Or you maybe unfortunately sickening for something. Infections can increase insulin resistance, as can a recent vaccination.
Are you under any more stress than usual.? Stress causes release of more of the stress management hormone, cortisol.
And cortisol makes insulin less effective.
Exercise the day before will sometimes improve my insulin sensitivity the following day so is the opposite possible,? i.e. that you exercise most days and the day before this breakfast you did not exercise, making insulin sensitivity less than on the other days??
Insulin profile: (google pictures of insulin profiles and then look for Novo Rapid or Novarapid) We might assume from the drug company profiles of insulin, e.g. for Novarapid, that the peak activity after injection is say 3 hours but it may be sooner or later in some persons. If you usually take Novarapid 1/2 hour before the meal or even 1 hour before that can change how well or not the insulin's activity matches and subdues the blood sugar rise. So a difference in timing of injection of Novarapid before breakfast might make a difference to the result.
Or the brand or formulation of the cereal has changed. Did your estimation of the carb content of the cereal include the total carbs or just the sugars, as there is some differences between the two in terms of values. Do you usually have other things for breakfast in addition to cereal such as eggs, yoghurt etc.? These other foods may slow absorption of carbs and thus alter the time and height of the blood sugar peak. So not eating these say with this breakfast can alter the results.
How old is your insulin and how well stored? The pamphlet in with insulin states keep at between 2 and 8 degrees C unless in use, in which case the insulin remain active for 28 days of kept below 30 degrees C. Could your Novarapid have frozen at some stage or been out of the fridge > 28 days or been exposed to > 30 degrees C?
Other imponderables: BSLs can be influenced by seasons, weather, temperatures, say between summer and winter.
I hope the above gives you some things to consider.
The other suggestion is to look up mendosa.com and read up on what Glycaemic Index (GI) and Glycaemic Load (GL) are and look at Glycaemic Values and at Cereals some way down under 'C'. Look for your cereal or the closest thing to it you can find. See how it compares to Oats and other cereals and see what you think. Also note that adding milk helps to lower and slow the rise in BSL from the cereal. Best Wishes and please keep posting about how you are going !!!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also note that 1unit to 10carbs is a starting point, this does not mean that 1:10 should work for you - everyone is different so different people need different carb ratios, some need different carb ratios depending what time of day it is, I know I need less insulin for carbs at lunch than I do at breakfast and dinner (and neither ratio is 1:10)
I know when I went to a carb counting course in July the range of different carb ratios was quite large, one person needed 1 unit per 2 carbs, another person needed 1 unit per 50 carbs, this shows how different people can be.

Edit. oops, replaced the crabs with carbs in that last sentence :)

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know your BMI? I'm guessing and may be wrong that you have some excess weight? if so you may have some insulin resistance and when that happens the insulin you inject will not work that well. 85gm carbs for breakfast is very high. Even when on insulin it's important to control the carbs to avoid weight gain and large BS swings.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your portion of shreddies is probably a bowl of 100 grams of shreddies or a full bowl full with milk? Try cutting down on that portion to 50 grams with 125ml of milk! See how it goes :)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I need a bit of help as I am getting confused with my readings. I was diagnosed last year as type 1 and use levimear and nova rapid and was doing ok managing. Latest blood tests were not good with sugars up. This morning I was 7.9 prior to breakfast. I had 85g of carb in a bowl of shredders. I injected 10 units of nova rapid and an hour later I am at 14.2. I was told 10g carb =1 unit but this seams not to be working. Thoughts and advice please? I take 30 levimear in morning and 20 at night.

Hi there "Steve1885"

Sorry to hear, you have problems with your levels.
Remember, that all we can give here, are only suggestions, but I suppose you have a bit too many carbs to a bit too little insulin. If your mentioned ratio works in the days, we probably have a combination of morning meal, insulin quantity AND a bit of Dawn Phenomenon. Your body is probably more sensitive to the carbs, directly in the morning, and you therefore need a little bit more insulin, to cover the amount of carbs...
This is ONLY a suggestion - to change your insulin ratios, you should discuss the matter with someone, who has the authority to do those changes.