Confused

mortigger1968

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i have been following low carb since janauary and i am also on insulin but nothing seems to lower my levels .im getting very scared of the diabetes and scared its going to kill me .any tips please as im at a loss typical day for me is
2 boiled eggs and 2 oatcakes
Or yoghurt and berries

Salad and meat

Meat and vegetsbles i put lots of butter on the vegetsbles and mayo on the salad

Any tips appreciated thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mortigger1968

What insulin regime are you on, are you doing multiple daily injections and carb counting or twice daily and what insulins are you using ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i have been following low carb since janauary and i am also on insulin but nothing seems to lower my levels .im getting very scared of the diabetes and scared its going to kill me .any tips please as im at a loss typical day for me is
2 boiled eggs and 2 oatcakes
Or yoghurt and berries

Salad and meat

Meat and vegetsbles i put lots of butter on the vegetsbles and mayo on the salad

Any tips appreciated thanks
The only thing I can see is that the oatcakes may be very high in carbs... Is the yoghurt full fat greek? Regular or fat free would be carby too. Do you bolus for that, or are you on a basal only? What veggies do you eat? Some are carby, some aren't. (Legumes/beans are starchy, underground veggies too). Anything in the salad that could cause problems? Fruit, croutons? https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides can help you figure out where things go wrong.

If it's not the food, though I'd run from oatcakes myself, you may want to request C-peptide and GAD tests from your doc. Misdiagnosis is possible, after all, and if that's the case, you really need to know.

Good luck!
Jo

mortigger1968

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thsnks im on set doses of novorapid and tresiba i dont do certain amount of carbs to food
Yes the yoghurt is full fat greek yoghurt oi eat nothing low fat .
The veggies are usually brocolli cauliflower or sprouts or green beans

mortigger1968

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have novorapid before meals and tresiba in an evening set doses for both i have been thinking i may be type 1.5 will low carb still work with that ???

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thsnks im on set doses of novorapid and tresiba i dont do certain amount of carbs to food
Yes the yoghurt is full fat greek yoghurt oi eat nothing low fat .
The veggies are usually brocolli cauliflower or sprouts or green beans
Green beans are about 7 grams of carbs per 100, I think... The rest seems fine to me. But even then, you're not eating massive amounts of carbs. Really, your endo needs to be put to work. If you're actually a T1 or T1.5, or one of a load of other types, you'd need a different treatment than you get now. Hence the suggested tests, they'd provide some clarity as to what type you are.

Don't let anyone send you off with "liar" and no further testing. Ask your GP to intervene if need be, anyone, to take you seriously. Because if you have been misdiagnosed as a T2, you're getting the wrong treatment.