Confused!

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a 57 year old, fairly overweight man recently diagnosed as Prediabetic, it was mentioned to me that a Low Carb Healthy Fat diet would go some way to lowering my HbA1c level (42 mmol/m) and possibly some significant weight loss. So, having joined here a week or so ago, and followed up with research online and YouTube, I kind of understand the mechanics of low carb/keto diets, etc. With the help from the chart below (which I saw on another members thread), I decided I'd try the Typical Low Carb (50-90g) option, (opting out of keto as I sort of feel it may be too drastic a change for my aging body):

» Low carb (ketogenic) 0-50g carbohydrate per day
» Typical low carb 50-90g
» Liberal low carb 90-130g
» Moderate carb 130-170g
» High carb 170g and more

So here's where my confusion starts, as some folks say just cut down on carbs and eat more meat, eggs and veg, whilst others seem to weigh and analyse every meal they make. If I were to follow the second option, does this mean that I should check food labels such that my total carb intake by weight, should be between 50-90g per day?

I also get a little confused about how much other food to eat, assuming that I have to eat less calories than I burn, otherwise I'll not shed any weight. And on a LCHF diet, does the body burn the carbs first then onto fat, once the carbs have run out each day?

Also, I read various symptoms like headaches, diarrhea, constipation, etc, can be experienced, sometimes caused by low electrolyte levels or missing minerals. So do I drink a glass of salted water a day, take a daily Dioralyte sachet or a multivitamin supplement?

Sorry if it's all a bit long-winded, but being a retired engineer I was very much accustomed to having all necessary data, analysis and research during my daily life.

Thanks in advance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - well many people find that eating a diet which keeps their blood glucose in the normal range also resets their metabolism to what it was some decades earlier, and also their weight begins to drop almost by magic, because treating a living body as a physics experiment seems to prove problematic.
For many people calories are fairly insignificant, and all I count are the carbs. By eating a varied diet of salad and low carb veges I do not require supplements. I do add a tiny pinch of salt to my morning coffee along with cinnamon - low carb foods are often unadulterated, and salt is required.
I experience no side effects other than feeling very well indeed, and I started out way higher than you, though I suspect that I have been having problems with carbs for a very long time and so although I see low levels of blood glucose after my low carb meals, I do not drop lower very far or very often, but an earlier diagnosis would have been beneficial.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aging 64 year old here, went keto, less than 20g per day.

Don't count calories, just carbs. I think Dioralyte is unsuitable for T2s.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 53 I just gave up sweet things, cakes, biscuits, desserts and cut out or replaced with lower carb alternatives, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I didn't do any calculations and my HbA1c was prediabetic 3 months later. Calculating in retrospect I was eating about 80g carbs a day, which I have kept to for 4 years and my HbA1c is now around 38. So, I am also a retired engineer but I would say cut out the obvious stuff to get started and fine tune later if you want with weighing and calculations. As regards the calories, just increase the fat and protein so that you don't go hungry, no need to eat precise amounts.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi TerryJK,
There is no such person as a typical T2 Diabetic (or pre-diabetic). We all took a different route through life to arrive here.
Similarly, we are all unique as to which particular Carb laden foods, and how much of them, make our Blood Glucose spike.

I started out with an HbA1C of 53 (just like Mr Pot), but unlike him, I had to work harder on my Way Of Eating or dietary Lifestyle (as I call it) than he did.
Before diagnosis I had been on a 'so- called healthy heart lifestyle' which meant eating very High Carb (whole grains etc.) and very Low Fat, eating very little saturated fat and eating more than '5 a Day' every day!. Despite being promoted by the NHS and advised by my GP, this completely failed me and I ended up having a 3X Bypass and then T2Diabetese.

AT this point I decided that enough was enough, since the Healthcare Professionals were advising that Type 2 Diabetics were Obese (I was at most only ever 2lbs overweight), didn't exercise (I started daily exercise after my bypass), and didn't eat 'healthy food'. They were basically telling me to double-down on the way of eating which had seen me gain around 16lbs in weight and delivered both CAD and T2D!

I found this forums, read and read until I understood the basic science, then chose to go LCHF (a complete reverse of my prior way of eating and to 'eat to my meter' i.e. eliminate or cut down on those foods which spiked my BG by 2.0 mmol/mol or more.
I immediately started to see my weight drop by 1 1/2 to 2lbs per week and enjoyed being able to eat Cheese and Eggs and Red Meat again.

Personally, I do count carbs - so I do read food labels as well as having printed out the carb content (per 100gm) of all major food I buy unpackaged.
Initially, I encourage people to test before a meal, then 2hrs after 1st bite in order to see the effect on the BG. It is then up to them to find their own 'best-fit' solution to their own Blood Glucose problem.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It is not advisable for those with diabetes, liver or kidney problems to take Dioralyte without their doctors supervision.

For the first year or so after diagnosis I maintained a keto diet 20 to no more than 30 grams of carb per day and counted calories also, now I follow a more relaxed low carb diet 50 to max of 90 grams per day I still count calories but I know that many don't and still reduce weight .

I always read the labels how else will you know how many carbs your eating or for that matter how many calories.

And I have found testing to be a valuable tool.

As an engineer you must appreciate that a measurement is better than a guesstimate every time.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also read labels and test foods with my meter (not often now as I have tested most things). The message I had for @TerryJK was not too get too hung up on an "engineering" approach. Dieting is not an exact science so just avoiding the "low hanging fruit" (especially fruit) is a good start and may be sufficient for a pre-diabetic.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I have been diabetic for a number of years and paid scant regard to the condition. It has caught up with me and I am 'forced' into changing my diet. I don't religiously carb count, but I keep it low. It is hard work, there are foods out there that will surprise you. Protien crisps are pretty cool for example.
My relationship with food is not the sweet stuff, you can keep that. But rather it is the quantity or portion control. So, count those carbs, but remember, low carb stuff still has calories. Out of interest, my weight is slowly coming down.
As others have said, work out what works for you and be realistic. All the best.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I also get a little confused about how much other food to eat, assuming that I have to eat less calories than I burn

I frequently see people say that they don't watch calories, lucky them. As has been said, we're all very different. You can try forgetting calories but if your weight increases then you know you have watch the calories.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
assuming that I have to eat less calories than I burn,
Unfortunately whilst you can control what you put in you can't really control what your body chooses to burn or store. This is why the Calories In Calories Out theory doesn't necessarily work for weight loss. Hormonal reactions to food are far more important for things like satiety.
I'm a weird one as I record everything I eat but don't "design" meals to align with specific macros. Eating mainly meat (and cream in coffee these days) makes it easy to maintain a state of ketosis.

mouseee

I check labels and keep to a fairly low carb level.
I'm not sure about electrolytes but when I'm drinking and sweating gallons (currently on a very warm holiday!) I certainly felt better after a handful of salted peanuts!