Confused

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am convinced that my drinking habit contributed to my diabetes.Now it seems that my drink of choice coupled with my medication keeps my figures down.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Other than you shouldn't drink beer or cyder unless they are carb modified. Red wines ok, as is dry whites and spirit

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack,I just dont understand why my readings lower with alcohol.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and there is a med warning on alcohol and metformin
See dr for another drug

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because the liver stops everything to deal with the alcohol

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been a short visit.Many thanks to avocado sevenfold for the advice.Still trying to come to terms with this.Early days.I have other personal problems to deal with without having to deal with trolls.Great site.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on an iPhone and it sucks bad. Can't wait till laptop working :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi davey

That's good news that your doctor is open minded and willing to support you with the Newcastle diet. I haven't tried it myself but would be interested to know how you get on with it :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am convinced that my drinking habit contributed to my diabetes.Now it seems that my drink of choice coupled with my medication keeps my figures down.
I think it is best to look forward to the best way to manage your diabetes now that you have it rather than look back to work out why you got it.

As Jack says, your numbers are low when you drink because your liver is too busy trying to rid your body of alcohol. It prioritises that job over its other jobs including dumping glucose into you. This is why your levels read low when you have had a few. It is a low reading, but not a healthy low.

Nice fry up for you in the morning will put you back on track :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Been a short visit.Many thanks to avocado sevenfold for the advice.Still trying to come to terms with this.Early days.I have other personal problems to deal with without having to deal with trolls.Great site.
Hi there!
For what it's worth I thought I'd add my two penneth.
This is my diet:
Every morning 2 97% sausages! a poached egg. (Hubbie has fried mushrooms and tomatoes with his).
Lunch 2 baby bels and sometimes a handful of nuts.
Snack: cheese/nuts
Often just babybels for lunch and nuts as snack. (If you had said this before 28th of jan, I'd have laughed in your face :confused:)
Dinner: salmon, asparagus in hollandaise and loads of green veggies.
I have dessert twice a week.
3 squares of 70% green and blacks choccie most nights.
Couple of glasses of wine at weekends.
Obviously I don't have salmon every night. Sometimes salad and panfried sea bass, bean bake, Puy lentils cooked in garlic butter. The list is endless. As a bloke you probably would need more lunch than me!
If I were you, why not have one glass of red (small) with evening meal and keep the cider for special occasions. The fry up fills you up. Try it. You might only need a light lunch. Think tapas! I would seriously ditch the bread. I don't have rice, pasta or potatoes either. If you look at my signature you'll see how much weight I've lost. My bs is a helluva lot better too! Ihave a thread Scandis recipes which you might like! Good luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky it didn't have the survival rate of a phone that falls into the toilet ... I'm waiting on a new BB convection

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw my GP this afternoon and he is willing to support me with the 600/800 cal Newcastle diet.I am due to start int mid August.Still utterly confused abou my current condition.I have managed to keep my level in single figurfor a couple of days with cutting out bread completely.I woke up this morning with 9.8Having not eaten since 9 o clock the prevous evening(porridge oats).I know.Had avocado with a tuna and mayo sandwich filler for lunch.Came home at 4 ...9..Had a salad.Had two beers after(I normally drink cider) 14.8..panicking now.Bought 4 cans of cider drank them and had a bottle of red wine.Now Im 7.2.What is happening?.
Is this correct maths: two beers AND four cans of cider AND one bottle of wine? Regardless of diabetes and other health problems you drink fat too much. You won´t be a safe driver for 30 hours or more. And drinking that much too much won´t help with diabetes.

That said I too have found that wine lowers my bg so I tend to enjoy carby things like risotto on Saturday night when I have a glass of two of wine. Or three, but not more than that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
May I suggest that for a day or two or three that you just try to cut the carb and cut the alchohol and see what range of bloods that you get?

Certain alchohols are not good for diabetics. The cider and wine on a long term basis are more likely to give you fatty liver problems...

Its up to you.. Carry on as you are.. And have problems managing your bloods etc.. Or just see if you can get better levels on lower carbs and less alchohol...

A 600/800 diet by the way, is not sustainable long term. To get the best options you need to think of a long term sustainable way of lifestyle and food choices..

A diet, is a short term way to lose weight... That's it. Sorry.

Learn advice from lower carbers and higher fats and you can manage fantastically...

Down to you in the end...but
Lifestyle changes are superior to yo yo diet choices...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people