Confused

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, apologies if I have gone about this the wrong way.I am new to the site and am a little confused how to introduce myself.I was diagnosed just over three weeks ago with type2.I have had the classic symptoms for almost a year and I guess like many have been in denial,until I casually mentioned it to my G.PI had a reading of 21.My doctor was very understanding but I was given a few pamphlets and told to come back in two weeks.He gave me a meter.I have tried to follow the advice on diet but it wasnt until the last few days that I have started to use my meter.I have generally had between 10 and 11 just after I wake up.By the way I am on 500 of metformin twice a day.I took my meter to work today had two wholemeal buns with tuna and tested myself half an hour later.21.7.I tested myself at work at intervals after with readings of around 15 came home at 6.30.Took a reading after i took my pil and dinner.....8.9.....3 more below 9 since .I am guessing bread doesnt agree with me.Sorry for the length of my post.I was just so worried today.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Davey and welcome to the forum :)

It's great that you were given a meter and are using it. Yes, bread does not agree with you it would appear. This is not unusual. Any carbohydrate you eat will turn into sugar in your blood and give you higher readings. Best to avoid or cut down a lot on bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry and sweet things for now until you get your levels down. In time you can use your meter to see what foods you can tolerate.

The metformin you have been given will not reduce your levels by much but does have benefits. Diet and exercise are the key.

Stick around and you will pick up loads of advice. It is a lot to take in at first, but your symptoms will improve very soon.

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Davey and welcome to the forum :)

It's great that you were given a meter and are using it. Yes, bread does not agree with you it would appear. This is not unusual. Any carbohydrate you eat will turn into sugar in your blood and give you higher readings. Best to avoid or cut down a lot on bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry and sweet things for now until you get your levels down. In time you can use your meter to see what foods you can tolerate.

The metformin you have been given will not reduce your levels by much but does have benefits. Diet and exercise are the key.

Stick around and you will pick up loads of advice. It is a lot to take in at first, but your symptoms will improve very soon.
Thank you so much for the advice.I can do without bread.i was told that wholemeal was ok.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you so much for the advice.I can do without bread.i was told that wholemeal was ok.
The NHS advice is currently to eat plenty of carbs as long as they are wholemeal/wholegrain. My personal opinion is that this advice is wrong. Carbs are carbs. If you have a look around the forum you can see what others think. With the use of your meter, you will soon be able to work out what is best for you.

Be mindful of fruit too. Many fruits are very high in fructose. Best stick to berries until you get your levels down. Bananas are very high in sugar. That's why you see athletes munching them for a quick fix.

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have told my G.P that I would like to try the 800 cal 8 week diet.He said he will support me.I have to give it a go.If it doesnt work then fine,at least I tried.
The NHS advice is currently to eat plenty of carbs as long as they are wholemeal/wholegrain. My personal opinion is that this advice is wrong. Carbs are carbs. If you have a look around the forum you can see what others think. With the use of your meter, you will soon be able to work out what is best for you.

Be mindful of fruit too. Many fruits are very high in fructose. Best stick to berries until you get your levels down. Bananas are very high in sugar. That's why you see athletes munching them for a quick fix.
I have learnt this lesson today mate.I made an appointment to see the nurse tomorrow.This is scaring the **** out of me to be honest.I thought that fruit would be ok.I had a peach this morning as well,cant have helped.

Reactions: 2 people

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I decided to cut out almost all carbs after my diagnoses. To me, anything made out of sugar or flour is out of the question. So no bread, no pasta, no fruit and also no rice or potatoes. Read up, the recommondations we get from our doctors is unfortunatly dated and not very healthy for us with diabetes. I started reading at www.dietdoctor.com and learnt a lot about this.

As previously mentioned, the diet is the key !

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way,I love avocados.My meal tonight was an avocado with prawns in a low fat maroe rose sauce.lol.Like always the avocados are nowhere near ripe in the supermarkets .a quid a pop too.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It is natural to be afraid. It is a new, scary situation in which you find yourself. When I was diagnosed about six months ago, I spent the first week just freaking out and bursting into tears. But it is not the end of the world. Now I am not bothered much at all to be honest. Since changing my diet, my unpleasant symptoms have disappeared, I am generally more relaxed about life and I have lost 40 lbs. Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say.

You will soon get the hang of it. The fact you have found this place already and are using your meter shows that you are motivated! :)

Don't be surprised if your nurse tells you to keep eating plenty of carbs. Take your time to read all about it and make up your own mind. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

By the way,I love avocados.My meal tonight was an avocado with prawns in a low fat maroe rose sauce.lol.Like always the avocados are nowhere near ripe in the supermarkets .a quid a pop too.
Avocados are ace! You might want to ditch the low fat sauce though. When they remove fat from food, they often add sugar to add taste. If you read the excellent link Mija posted, you will see that fat is the good guy now. Buy the regular/full fat version next time.

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avocado and prawns is great food for us. I would go with the full fat sauce instead, since my diet recommends high fat content :) My doctor is not too happy about my choice of diet though. But my BG is way better than a month ago when I got my diagnoses.

It is a great adjustment to learn how to take care of your diabetes. But you will get there soon enough.

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry mate only just read your reply.I dont eat meat,I havent for nearly 15 years.I eat fish.I love tuna.I have no idea what causes our condition.I have been a big cider drinker from around the time my parents passed away 5 months apart late 2005 early 2006.No particular reason why.There is no history of diabetes in my family,big family.Apart from my cousin who was diagnosed type1 around twelvish years ago.I bumped into her in asdas on sunday.I now understand the difference between type 1 and 2.The common factor between us?.She used to drink cider!!.Go figure

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At www.dietdoctor.com there is a video called the Food revolution. I can recommand that one. It gives a lot of insight into why we get diabetes and what has been wrong with the advice we have been fed for many years. It also gives suggestions to how to eat and treat your condition. It helped me a lot in the beginning.

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed a couple of your posts mate sorry.Thanks so much for taking the time out to help me.I wont forget it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The good thing about the low carb/high fat diet doctor diet is that you can adapt it to suit your way of life. I am vegetarian but still find there is loads to eat to maintain good bg levels.

Anyhoo, off to bed. Good luck with nursery tomorrow.

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This was not a club I ever imagined I would join,as all of us.It has been such a bad year for me so far.I lost my sister in January to lung cancer (never smoked) and my best friend to stomach cancer.Diabetes?..could be worse.lol

Mija

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other good part about the LCHF diet is that you never have to starve yourself. My experience with low calorie diets has been a constant hunger that has lead to overeating. When eating low carb high fat the fat keeps the hunger away and you dont even have to think about calories. It might not be for everyone, but it fits me perfectly :)

I hope this is a turning point now then! With a good diet a lot of us T2s becomes symptom free. That is my goal now. GL tomorrow!

daveyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw my GP this afternoon and he is willing to support me with the 600/800 cal Newcastle diet.I am due to start int mid August.Still utterly confused abou my current condition.I have managed to keep my level in single figurfor a couple of days with cutting out bread completely.I woke up this morning with 9.8Having not eaten since 9 o clock the prevous evening(porridge oats).I know.Had avocado with a tuna and mayo sandwich filler for lunch.Came home at 4 ...9..Had a salad.Had two beers after(I normally drink cider) 14.8..panicking now.Bought 4 cans of cider drank them and had a bottle of red wine.Now Im 7.2.What is happening?.