Type 2 Confusing readings

rman

Hi there, I am a newly diagnosed type 2 (just 3 weeks ago). I started Metformin and diet changes as per dietitian recommendations. So here is my question. Yesterday I took an after lunch reading and it read 5.8mmol/l . I thought this was too low as I was feeling a bit whoozy. I tried it again with a second strip using the same finger as the blood was still coming out and the second reading came at 6.3mmol/l. I decided to try a new bottle of strips since the previous one was almost out anyways and I now got a reading from another finder of 5.3mmol/l.

So I am confused as within the span of a minute maximum 90 second I got 5.8, 6.3 and 5.3 from 2 different fingers and 3 different strips, one of which was from another new bottle. Is this normal ? which reading would be 'correct' ? I use accucheck aviva machine.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heya, to be considered accurate the test strips have to be with 15% of the actual reading, so since those are all pretty close together any could be considered 'accurate' (all are within 15% of 5,8 for example).
So um, somewhere in the middle is probably what you could take :)

Reactions: rman

rman

Heya, to be considered accurate the test strips have to be with 15% of the actual reading, so since those are all pretty close together any could be considered 'accurate' (all are within 15% of 5,8 for example).
So um, somewhere in the middle is probably what you could take :)
hey thanks for that quick reply. Good to hear that such quick variations within minutes is normal as I was getting completely lost here.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi there, I am a newly diagnosed type 2 (just 3 weeks ago). I started Metformin and diet changes as per dietitian recommendations. So here is my question. Yesterday I took an after lunch reading and it read 5.8mmol/l . I thought this was too low as I was feeling a bit whoozy. I tried it again with a second strip using the same finger as the blood was still coming out and the second reading came at 6.3mmol/l. I decided to try a new bottle of strips since the previous one was almost out anyways and I now got a reading from another finder of 5.3mmol/l.

So I am confused as within the span of a minute maximum 90 second I got 5.8, 6.3 and 5.3 from 2 different fingers and 3 different strips, one of which was from another new bottle. Is this normal ? which reading would be 'correct' ? I use accucheck aviva machine.

I don't think these variations are unusual.