Confusing research??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have just had this link given to me by another forum on cancer....

Found it quite interesting... does yogurt count as dairy? If so they are saying no benefits to eat bluberries and yogurt...

Forum is for cancer not diabetes though... but all round health important to me.. I need the best food for both illnesses... my Prof Oncologist swears by yogurt, blueberries and nuts for breakfast.... toast, cereal and porridge are out for his recommendations but not much good if the dairy kills the benefits off???

Any advice?

http://naturalsociety.com/dairy-antioxidants-nearly-useless/

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as I can tell, all this study is saying is that the antioxidants in the blueberries don't work as well when eaten with yoghurt. But that is not why I eat yoghurt.
  • I like full-fat yoghurt
  • Full fat yoghurt has few carbs
  • (I am starting to think we need fewer or no antioxidants on a low carb diet)
Eating yoghurt for me is mostly about what I avoid eating by having the yoghurt.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had this link given to me by another forum on cancer....

Found it quite interesting... does yogurt count as dairy? If so they are saying no benefits to eat bluberries and yogurt...

Forum is for cancer not diabetes though... but all round health important to me.. I need the best food for both illnesses... my Prof Oncologist swears by yogurt, blueberries and nuts for breakfast.... toast, cereal and porridge are out for his recommendations but not much good if the dairy kills the benefits off???

Any advice?

http://naturalsociety.com/dairy-antioxidants-nearly-useless/
There was some research done ages ago claiming that the casein in milk (one of the milk proteins) interferes with the absorption of some anitioxidants found in blueberries, coffee, tea and probably other foods I have forgotten, and that in the case of foods containing caffeine that we often consume with milk it is a double whammy as the caffeine interferes with the absorption of calcium from the dairy. I used to try and consume these foods separately, but it made life complicated, and now having to limit carbs is enough complication for me. I'm not surprised your oncolist didn't know about this, as very few writers on diet seem to have noticed that research.

If it's any comfort, IMO even if you eat your blueberries with yoghurt you will probably get at least SOME of the benefit of the anti-oxidants in the fruit. These things don't always turn out as stark as predicted. I remember during the last war in the UK schoolchildren were encouraged to harvest wild rose hips and make rose hip syrup out of them for the vitamin C. Well, in one school they did this and boiled and boiled and boiled a great quantity of hips. All this boiling should theoretically have destroyed all the vitamin C, but no, the syrup was tested and it contained plenty. So take heart! Or maybe find a way to eat your blueberries with something like soya milk. It is even possible, but you'd have to research this, that cream doesn't contain casein. In which case you could eat blueberries and cream at one meal and yoghurt at another?

Yes! I found out that heavy cream and butter contain almost no casein. So the diabetic trick of substituting double cream for milk in hot drinks such as tea, coffee and chocolate/cocoa is actually a very healthy one, allowing the anti-oxidants to benefit our hearts etc. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/meals-casein-1776.html

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wanted all round health not just because lower carbs etc. I ate before the cancer but thought I was helping myself with that too...
mmmm... think I will have to rethink...
I dont want cream as that shoves my cholesterol with a seesaw swing to wrong way round with hdl and ldl... so cream is a no, no.

Wonder whether coconut yogurt would be an alternative....??

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to expand on the fat content part of this discussion. Yogurt by nature is a relatively low fat dairy product. 'Full fat' yogurt is about 3.5% milk fat. 'Low fat' yogurt is about 2% milk fat. 'No fat' yogurt is less than 1/2 % milk fat. If the fat is an issue for your cholesterol, the no fat yogurt may be fine for you. I have plain Greek yogurt every day with a few blueberries, flax seed meal, chia seeds and coconut flour with some cinnamon and stevia. Sometimes I add/exchange nuts. I use some plain soy milk to loosen it a bit as Greek yogurt is thick and some of the added things absorb liquid. It fits well into my low carb diet and provides probiotics. I am a type 2 with celiac and in remission from 1 cancer and in the middle of treatment protocol for a second and so far so good as far as how my low carb diet and yogurt helps me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No, its not fat that bothers me with yogurt at all.. but the fact that yogurt can kill the antioxidants off in the blueberries.

Adding in cream daily to coffees messed badly with my cholesterol.. I have no infention to go back to cream at all.

I think coconut yogurt should be easy enough for me to make fresh, so that would also be a bonus...