Confusion on HbA1c results and Cholesterol

Jakjo55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2 years ago and since I have lost 4 stone and am using diet/exercise control. I had my 3 month HbA1c test and my results came out at 38. I have trawled the internet and tried to find out what is normal and gettinga little confused with percentages and what's normal and what's not. Can you help please?

My cholesterol is rather high good is 1.3 and bad is 4.7, total is 7 for which I have been given Simvastatin. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An HBa1C in current units of 38 is 5.6% in old money and excellent. Many diabetics will be somewhere between 6 and 7. Above that it needs serious attention and below 6 comes into the non-diabetic region. A cholesterol level of 7 is a bit high. I had Simvastatin which gave me no problems but it does cause some people problems; it's been the lowest cost statin for a long time. Try it and see. Watch out for muscle aches and ask for a different statin if this happens.

Reactions: 3 people

Jakjo55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the response Daibell,

I'll start the Simvastatin tonight. I have kind of found myself on a diet that I am having difficulty maintaining recently. Very, very low carb with pretty much no starch. The nurse advised me that rather than going on to medication go for introducing more carbs in small portions and keep testing my blood sugars.

Thanks again!

suenjames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HBa1C is 11.8% and my cholestrol is 6.8% simvastatin has caused me a lot of problems i have cramps in my legs and feet constantly I have spoken to my doc and he wont change my meds so i have stopped taking them the last few days and the cramps have improved I have been taking quinine sulphate to help with the cramps but they didn't work

Jakjo55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you've had so many problems with it and also that your doc won't change your meds! How long have you been on simvastatin? I'll give it a go and feed back to the forum. I'll take anything if it lowers my cholesterol but a bit worried about side effects.

Thanks for the reply.

J