Considering Low Carb...

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I'm new to this forum - I usually hang around on the Type 1 one. I am considering low-carbing in order to improve my general blood sugar levels and my HbA1C, but i have a concern.

I am fairly slim (1.91m tall, 80kg), I exercise 2-3 times a week (gym weights and running) and I don't want to lose any weight. One of the oft-mentioned benefits of low-carbing is the fact that you can lose weight. So this is my question: Can I eat low carb without losing too much weight?

My basic understanding says "less insulin = less weight". And when I asked this question somewhere else I was told to increase my protein intake in order to gain weight. My average daily carb intake ranges from 200-250g and I'm concerned that if I cut that intake in half I may end up losing weight. I eat an average protein portion with most meals, e.g. meat, cheese, eggs, fish. Have just got into Biltong as a snack and have a portion of nuts every day as one of my snacks. If I am to cut my carbs in half, I'd guess I'll be consuming more protein/fat with each meal and most likely more low-carb veggies/salad.

So, will I necessarily lose weight? Are there any weight-gainers eating low carb out there?

I want to plan my low-carb diet properly; otherwise I'll simply be back on the doughnuts and cakes without giving it a proper go.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Sam.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you drop 100g carb, you add 45g of fat/oil and it balances out, if you want to gain weight add a bit more protein and fat too

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So how does that fat get metabolised, since I don't bolus for it? I'm Type 1, pumping novorapid, btw.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You would need to bolus for higher protein/fat meals. The.body converts the fat/protein to energy by releasing glycogen, which raises levels. Alot slower than carbs and can be a longer process so, if you do change to lchf, you wil ned to re work basals and bolus amounts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've recently given up rugby. I got to 14.5 stone (I'm 6ft tall) via low carbing and doing a load of weights. I dropped down to 12 stone after training for a half marathon. Now I'm training to put it back on. Lots of nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna. It is possible via low carbing, but it's definitely more difficult that bulking with carbs.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You would need to bolus for higher protein/fat meals. The.body converts the fat/protein to energy by releasing glycogen, which raises levels. Alot slower than carbs and can be a longer process so, if you do change to lchf, you wil ned to re work basals and bolus amounts.

Fat as well? Sure I read in Berstein's book that fat never enters the equation... Just protein and carbs.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fat as well? Sure I read in Berstein's book that fat never enters the equation... Just protein and carbs.

Very long pocess so will effect basal more. if you eat less carbs your body is able to still able to produce sugar from stores.protein, will probably effect bolus and may need to be split dosed as again it takes longer than injected insulin. You may find overall you would need less insulin especially notable with meals,but, basal may take a while to settle, and get correct. Hope all goes well and your levels settle.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
brett, I've seen the LC t1's say they bolus for upto 50% of protein, but I haven't seen them say they bolus for fat, they have said on the pump they sometimes give 1/2 the bolus [of the low carb and upto 50% of protein] up front and the other 1/2 over 4 hrs with a high fat meal because fat delays digestion

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
brett, I've seen the LC t1's say they bolus for upto 50% of protein, but I haven't seen them say they bolus for fat, they have said on the pump they sometimes give 1/2 the bolus [of the low carb and upto 50% of protein] up front and the other 1/2 over 4 hrs with a high fat meal because fat delays digestion

I wouldn't bolus for fat either as the qa would work way too fast, but, some type 1s may need more basal to cover higher fat meals, weather down to slowing the carb? Protein absorbtion or slowly converting them. For me, I've found higher fat meals to overall require more insulin, not just a delay of dosing. Joys of diabetes, we just have to see what to do as what happens to one won't happen to all.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have to bolus for fat.. In fact for every 10g of fat in a portion of food I will manually add 4g equivalent of carbs on to my bolus figures and lengthen my bolus to a multiwave on a pump.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont know anything about your insulin as I am a type2 but I am a skinny so I eat lowish carb and hghish fat as in I eat lots of cheese and butter and cream and yoghurt I also eat plenty of fish ,oily ones are best for weight gain lots of meat .low carb sausages loads of veg the sort that grows over ground I also eat celeriac and swede instead of spuds berries are a good type of fruit and very dark choc (over 80% ) melted on top and finished with a good helping of double cream is yummy
CAROL