Consisten High readings between 10am and 12pm

byeazucar

Hello everyone and Happy Saturday! I hope everyone stays blessed.

My wife is been getting high readings between 10 am and 12 pm every day (normally between 7.4 and 8.2mmol, and a week prior her menstrual cycle can go up to 9.2-10mmol), regardless if she is fasting or have a coffee.

She does not have any carbs for dinner as she is on a very strict Keto diet with a low intake of 20g carbs a day. During the nighttime, her sugar does not drop too low either (stays around 4-5mmol).

She is trying to control her diabetes without medication as much as possible, however, we have tried also having 1 Glicazide 80mg after waking up and still does not seem to control these spikes. Using Libre 2 we can see this is a trend every day, then her levels drop below 6mmol around lunchtime and stay that way until the next morning (ranging between 4-6mmol). Keto is really helping her to keep numbers under control for the rest of the day, but we struggle with the morning spikes (For what I see is a relatively common issue)

We will consult with our doctor once we are back home, however being abroad at the moment, I would like to get some opinions on how people manage this.

I have dedicated significant time to read about the Somogyi effect and Down phenomenon however her sugar levels do not drop much overnight, which makes me think, these 2 cases do not really apply to her.

Anyone struggling with a similar issue and has found a way to get it under control? Are there any factors (other than the general information that can be found online) that can influence this?

Would you consider it "acceptable" to spike to 7.8 mmol in the morning for a couple of hours while fasting/coffee intake only?

Thank you all in advance!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee, no milk no sugar. However, as mentioned, the spike happens regardless is she has a coffee or is fasting.
OK thanks for clarifying.. might be worth trying a small snack on waking just to see if eating something creates insulin production which could bring the numbers down?
Something no/low carb like cheese, eggs or cold meat maybe?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that your wife try eating first thing, as I found that was how to stop my levels rising.
I have two meals a day at 12 hour intervals, so I eat first thing and have coffee with cream - a proper meal with around 10 gm of carbs as that is what works best.
I then eat another proper meal in the evening and have another coffee. I can eat up to 30 gm of carbs in the evening and still stay in normal figures.

Reactions: OrsonKartt