Constant headache is a constant worry

Nicklenocky

Hi All

I have recently developed these very strong headaches seemingly for no reason at all...its mainly on the left side of my head, they don't feel like normal headaches, its just a constant, painful presence. I also at times feel lightheaded...just not myself. I don't want to sound like a hyperchondriac, but I wouldn't complain unless these headaches were really bad. I also at times feel like I am suffering from a hypo but when I test my blood I am fine.

I have searched this forum looking for clues and there are some interesting points. I have changed my lantus dose recently increasing it by 3 units and taking it 1 hour earlier than usual, but, i was getting these headaches before this, though not as constant. I have also recently recovered from the flu which resulted in Ketones and a quick trip to the hospital to be put on a drip for 3 hours, but, again I was getting these headaches before this and my doctor did not seemed worried about the ketones. The other thing I should point out is that i have had a slight diet overhaul and cut out bread, pasta and potatoes completely, I consume approx 150gms of carb per day still....I would say that the headaches started roughly the same time as my new diet. As a result of my new diet I have enjoyed good blood sugar results (in a bid to get my HBA1C down from 8.3) but even at 5 or so, I feel terrible.

I guess what I am asking for is a little reassurance....I have become terribly paranoid and scared to sleep and I do consider myself to be a rational person...ie I know it isn't a brain tumor but cant help thinking the worst! I want to go back to the doctor but feel a bit silly complaining about a headache. Aspirin doesnt seem to do the job and I really would like to have my sanity back! Oh one more point....my doctor mentioned that my potassium level was slightly high at 6.3, nothing to worry about, just thought I would mention it.

Has anyone had similar experiences.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Obviously, I can't diagnose you - I am not a doctor. However, when I get a constant headache on the left side of my forehead, it is a migraine. It lasts about 3 days and is usually accompanied by nausea. Ordinary painkillers do not touch it, so i have to use Imigran (Sumatriptan). It is difficult to describe, but it is not like any other headache. When I first got them I thought I was dying! It has nothing to do with my diabetes (have had migraines all my adult life and diabetes for only a couple of years). Please go to your doctor and describe the symptoms - if it is migraine, he'll prescribe something for you to get rid of the pain. If it is something else, he'll probably diagnose and treat it. Most headaches are not serious - even though they feel like it.

good luck

Smidge

Nicklenocky

Hi Smidge

Thank you for your reply. I will go to the doctors...I did wonder if these were migraines but I have never suffered such headaches and seems all very sudden...but yes i think I will pop to the doctors

Thank you

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Certainly go to your doctor - but meanwhile, how much water are you drinking? Headaches can be a consequence of low-carbing, at least in the early stages, though they shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as yours sound.

2 litres of water a day is advised.

Good luck, and I hope you're better soon

Viv 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Viv about the water ,when I was dx and got my BGs down I stopped drinking much water obviously because I wasnt thirsty any more before that I had been drinking for England .I then started to get headaches I read something on this forum about keeping hydrated and my headaches almost disappeared .Good thing this forum :D
CAROL

sugar2

I would agree, go tothe DR. My hubby (not DB) had lots of headaches last year. he has suffered with migraines in eth past, so knew that these headaches were not migraines, as migraine practically confine him to bed in a darkened room. These were painful headaches.

he went through lots of tests...looking for the nasties, as well as going to the opticians to see if was vision related etc. His pain was mainly in his eyes. I don'tthink they ever really came to a conclusion, except to say it was "cluster headaches" he now takes a very small amount of (I think) epiletic treatment) every other day, and he is fine.

At all times the Drs took him seriously, and had teh approach to rule out teh really serious, tumour, MS etc, while encouraging him to sort out the more minor things, glasses, water etc.I would really encourage you to go and get some help...what ever the cause, constant headaches can seriously affect your quality of life.

Laika Laika

I have just started a low carb diet and for 3 days after being on it for about a week I have terrible headaches and could not go to the gym or do any excerise but now they have gone and I drink plenty of water and losing weight now only another 8 kilos to go. :D

Nicklenocky

Hi all....thanks for your comments. I am almost certain it has to be in relation to my diet change since they started roughly the same time. If this is the case, then I am very surprised as I have not reduced my carb intake, simply choosing not to eat certain carbs anymore. In any case, the headache still persists so I will be sure to drink a lot of water as your suggestions and get myself to the docs!

BTW...I really do love Viviennems sign off 'every headache isnt a brain tumor'...it makes me giggle everytime I see it on this forum and has become my daily motto!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I can't claim the credit for the "brain tumour" tag, I pinched it from somewhere!

It beats "all trapped wind isn't a heart attack", which was another option - this time definitely my own! :oops: :lol:

Viv 8)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have just moved away from analog insulin as, when I started on it I started getting headaches, both sides of my head (temple region) as I increased my doses I got more headaches but not constant

When I advised my DSN they changed my Levemir to lantus, and I got an almost instant constant headache

I finally got changed to Humulin and now have no headaches, although level are a little more difficult to control as the profiles are different, but my level are still acceptable!

It took about 4 months to get the insulin changes as my consultant insisted the headaches would not be the insulin, insisting I should see my GP for them, then when the GP agreed I may be right she insisted I should see a neurologist and have MRI scans, eventually she agreed that I could switch and try Humulin without the scans, on the basis if I had the headaches after the change then scans would be needed

See your GP or consultant and voice your concerns