Constantly Tired!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Libby1973 Just an additional thought.
Some years back I was getting very tired and not sleeping well.
BSLS were up a bit but not horrendous, blood tests were fine, no anaemia, normal B12, folate, thyroid tests.
In the end I had a sleep study and was found to have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. (OSA).
It was surprising as I was not overweigh, but apparently the roof of my mouth (palate) goes back far enough to cause it to block off my airway when laying on my back. So I was experiencing multiple episodes of stopping breathing (apnoea) whilst asleep.
As my oxygen levels dropped my body had to rouse me sufficiently to breathe again = adrenalin ++ and the feeling of exhaustion in the morning and drowsiness later on.
Once prescribed appropriate treatment my BSLs improved and my tiredness disappeared.
Again I hope your quest for answers is short and successful !

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Allison, I’ll certainly request that. That hadn’t even crossed my mind that could be a reason why I’m so sleepy all the time

I too was sleepy all the time when my blood glucose was High before diagnosis when I did go under 150 grams of carbs daily it helped a lot

By the way iron needs vitamin C in the same meal to be uptaken into our body

Reactions: ickihun and kitedoc

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Lately, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. The minute I sit down and relax I struggle to keep awake.
I’ve never had this issue before.

I’m currently on a small dose of levothyroxine along with Metformin, and Levermir insulin.

I’m not sure if it’s down to having underactive thyroid, and the diabetes that’s causing the constant tiredness.

Anybody else feel like this? If so, have you been to your GP? and what advice/course of action have you been given?

Thanks all in advance
I have suffered with constant tiredness as well sometimes it has been due to magnesium deficienty or low iron

M

Moggely

Hi Libby,
Not sure if there is any link between T2D and vitamin D deficiency however it might be worth getting checked out for that, allegedly low levels of vitamin D can cause tiredness and I am aware of a few diabetics who have felt tired and subsequently been found to have low levels of the vitamin in their blood. Again, not a definitive answer to your state of tiredness but its an avenue to explore!

Keiron
@keironlg Sorry to but in but is that plain Vitamin D Or D3. I take D3 and K2 because it says to take both together. Would you know anything about that. Thanks.

Reactions: kitedoc
M

Moggely

I have full erosive gastritis, very low iron, osteoporosis arthritis, cramps every single night, injections at 3am, 6am and walking dog at 6.30. Generally go to sleep at midnight. Never sleep during the day.. never.

I would ask docfor for b12 and folate and D3 if these haven’t been done already.

My doctor told me to eat broccoli everyday and I do this. It has staved off the need for a transfusion of iron but I still need childrens dose of iron prescribed.

For me I looked at all my foods and started off at basics... I listed every nutritional vitamin I was getting from what I ate...

Yogurt, eggs, cooked blue berries ok... full fat gold top milk ok, butter... then I knew I couldn’t eat meats so talking to GP made me eat broccoli n cheese as one of my main dishes everyday. There is no reason with gastritis to overly eat carbs. I have other problems as well and also double breast mastectomies so it is important to keep carbs reduced and protein up and better fats..

I eat soft veg, but courgette, celeriac are low curb so I balance them by adding in some root like parsnip or butternut squash.. after 5 years of eating cereal little meat.. I have now got up to 1/2 a chicken breast, and a small fillet steak without problems... but mine is not just gastritis.

Strawberries cream are good...
@donnellysdogs I have had a double breast mastectomy as well and really tired over 4 years ago now my doctor said B12 was ok but just I'm wondering if I'ts worth taking the bull by the horns and taking a B complex. I'd love to hear your take on it. Thanks.

Marksman4519

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs in any form but especially boiled, paying bills!!!
Hi Libby,
Not sure if there is any link between T2D and vitamin D deficiency however it might be worth getting checked out for that, allegedly low levels of vitamin D can cause tiredness and I am aware of a few diabetics who have felt tired and subsequently been found to have low levels of the vitamin in their blood. Again, not a definitive answer to your state of tiredness but its an avenue to explore!

Keiron
Hi just read your reply to Libby. As I was reading it I immediately equated it to my own recent experience. Yes I am a type 1 diabetic and had very similar symptoms and went to my GP. A blood test later and I was found to have a dangerously low Vit D level. 3 months later and despite the heat am feeling so much better. Worth asking your GP for a blood test. I think mine probably saved a spell in hospital.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun, Apparently iron is better absorbed from meat eaten with vitamin C ( fruit or Vitamin C supplements), bjt the same does not work for the iron in things like broccoli.
You have reminded me to restart vit C supplements. Altho... I'd best not as its already in my multivitamins.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@keironlg Sorry to but in but is that plain Vitamin D Or D3. I take D3 and K2 because it says to take both together. Would you know anything about that. Thanks.

Vitamin D supplements should ideally be D3, plus K2, although the NHS routinely dispense D3 on it's own. K2 can be bought seperately, OTC, although it is almost the same cost to buy standalone K2 as it is to buy D3+K2 in the same capsule.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For gastritis if you stop eating anything with tomato or onion in it, you will heal and be able to eat more things. So anything like dolmii sauce, gravy with onion powder needs to go, as do the real things.... then you will benefit enormously and be able to eat better. Tomatoes, garlic and onion are the worst things for gastritis according to my consultant two years ago and he’s absolutely right. I take no meds for my full blown erosive gastritis... just eat nothing with tomatoes or onions. Not had a problem since.

Gastritis should not make you eat carbs...

Tomatoes! I had some today for the first time in quite a while - figuring that I should try to get some other food into me and try to get back to reduced carbs at least. It soon became clear that they are obviously not good for my gastritis, as you said. I do love cooked onions but haven't had any for quite a long time. Probably shan't try now.

Since I am close to having osteoporosis, I was told that I ought to take vit D - my brother swears by it - but I was also told to take multivitamins to prepare for surgery, that I am not now having, so I took that instead. They upset my stomach too and I stopped taking them. I will get some vit D and see how I get on with that. I am supposed to start taking an iron supplement but, again, the last time I tried that it was so painful. I told the Dr that I would try again though, so I will. One thing I can still stomach - not often - is Marmite. I believe that has B vitamins in it. I am probably also low in vit C since I am not taking a supplement or fruit/veg. I'll have to look into this. But I still think there may be an issue with Esomeprazole, which I have been prescribed for something like 15 years for no very good reason that I can think of. However, if I don't take them now, my gastritis really kicks off.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @Donnellysdog, The iron in meat is said to be better absorbed if taken with vitamin C, either from say fruit or a vitamin C supplement. But the same does not work with broccoli.

I take Ester C each day because my C was only minimal intake on some days.. thanks for advice.

I have bought another steak to eat over 2 days!! Only small as is also shared with my Newfypoo!! But it’s a start to try to see again what happens with meat. I got everything so need as back up if it doesn’t travel in colon...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs I have had a double breast mastectomy as well and really tired over 4 years ago now my doctor said B12 was ok but just I'm wondering if I'ts worth taking the bull by the horns and taking a B complex. I'd love to hear your take on it. Thanks.

The levels according to my GP before you should feel tired is 100!!! No way.... I feel **** at 280 and at 200 it’s difficult to get up in mornings as I wake up tired. The levels for anaemia for b12 vary around the different laboratories.. before taking any supplement I do a full analysis oh my foods as my bit D has been off the scale high and so has my B12 pre cancer diagnosis. After cancer remove it then plummeted. So it’s one that I keep an eye on.

So, ref b supplements. As they only test for B12 out of all the b vitamins it’s really down to either analysing how much food you take with b’s in to decide whether to take or not.

I don’t take any form of multi vitamin as when I analyse my foods I am always high on my intake of vitamin A & E. I have naturally high D. So would be a waste of money and could overdose me on the vitamins I don’t need.

I do take Pomi-t capsules everyday as these have been tested and researched with cancer in live human beings with success. I also take the same brand for probiotic capsules. My Professor Robert Thomas reckons everything starts from your gut health...and he recommends these capsules.

Akthough I don’t take the hormone tablets I have now been discharged from cancer care and my Professor Surgeon called me the perfect patient!! He knows I am acutely aware of everything I eat, drink and do and knows how I fought hard for my health and continue to do so.

Hope you are keeping well and keeping positive.

I was in Chat magazine last week with my cancer journey....

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Tomatoes! I had some today for the first time in quite a while - figuring that I should try to get some other food into me and try to get back to reduced carbs at least. It soon became clear that they are obviously not good for my gastritis, as you said. I do love cooked onions but haven't had any for quite a long time. Probably shan't try now.

Since I am close to having osteoporosis, I was told that I ought to take vit D - my brother swears by it - but I was also told to take multivitamins to prepare for surgery, that I am not now having, so I took that instead. They upset my stomach too and I stopped taking them. I will get some vit D and see how I get on with that. I am supposed to start taking an iron supplement but, again, the last time I tried that it was so painful. I told the Dr that I would try again though, so I will. One thing I can still stomach - not often - is Marmite. I believe that has B vitamins in it. I am probably also low in vit C since I am not taking a supplement or fruit/veg. I'll have to look into this. But I still think there may be an issue with Esomeprazole, which I have been prescribed for something like 15 years for no very good reason that I can think of. However, if I don't take them now, my gastritis really kicks off.
Hi @Annb, Perhaps you could ask your GP if there is another iron formulation which is less upsetting ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
IMG_1533108811.168826.jpg

This is very good. Prescribed by GP and I take a children’s dose of it 3 times a day. No side effects at all.

This is the only iron she will prescribe due to my slow colon and full erosive gastritis.

seans69

Lately, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. The minute I sit down and relax I struggle to keep awake.
I’ve never had this issue before.

I’m currently on a small dose of levothyroxine along with Metformin, and Levermir insulin.

I’m not sure if it’s down to having underactive thyroid, and the diabetes that’s causing the constant tiredness.

Anybody else feel like this? If so, have you been to your GP? and what advice/course of action have you been given?

Thanks all in advance
Hi
I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2010 at the same time as being told that I had Obstuctive Sleep Apnea. It is a misconception that only extremely overweight people have OSA. The two conditions can run hand in hand with each other. Before treatment I would fall asleep at any time. I was continually tired and when I fell asleep at traffic lights I decided to seek help from my doctor. I would ask your partner or a member of your family to watch you sleep for a while. If you are snoring heavily the chances are there will be periods when your breathing will stop. This could be what is making you so tired. If left untreated diabetes could worsen. When I was diagnosed with OSA I was tested for diabetes at the same time due to the link between them. I am a male and at the time I was 5’9” and 11 stone. So I wasn’t overweight and had a good BMI