Constipation

ghost_whistler

seems to be a real problem for me on low carb eating. Unfortunately there seems to be no consensus on whether fibre is the answer, and most fibre rich foods are high carb. Then there's the issue of soluble vs insoluble. Some people swear that fibre is bad for them, but frrom what I can tell the science isn't clear. I've only seen one study that fibre had no effect on constipation with a small group of people, but that's not representative enough and doesn't say whether it's bad. Also there's a lot of quackery out there and it's impossible for the layman to know who to trust.

My problem is the slow transit of hard stool, which can often have the effect of rectal bleeding (sorry to be graphic, but we're all adults). It's not really a viable situation. For all the health benefits of eating low carb, this is one area that has taken a step back since I'venever had these problems in my life. I'd rather not have to rely on eating supplements just to have healthy movements, food should provide IMO. This is an issue i've had for a while and it's not something that can continue.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking codeine? That might be the problem, it was for me. Inulin might work?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It may be personal to me but when this happens I have the peel of of two apples straight after a meal. It doesnt cause a spike for me and seems to help.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Get yourself some sugar free Fybogel - it works a treat :)

Reactions: ickihun

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Our family remedy is a meal that includes brussels sprouts followed by some stewed rhubarb - works like magic.

If you don't like that idea then psyllium husk works very well.

Reactions: ickihun

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Because he will tell me to eat sensibly and eat more fibre

I know you don't want to hear this - but your doctor is probably right. You don't have diabetes so you aren't forced in to a low carb diet like many of us are - so why not eat more veg and fruit? You don't have to eat bread, rice, pasta and other major carbs if you don't want to but a more varied diet might help.

ghost_whistler

I know you don't want to hear this - but your doctor is probably right. You don't have diabetes so you aren't forced in to a low carb diet like many of us are - so why not eat more veg and fruit? You don't have to eat bread, rice, pasta and other major carbs if you don't want to but a more varied diet might help.
Because eating carbs affects my blood sugar.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
seems to be a real problem for me on low carb eating. Unfortunately there seems to be no consensus on whether fibre is the answer, and most fibre rich foods are high carb. Then there's the issue of soluble vs insoluble. Some people swear that fibre is bad for them, but frrom what I can tell the science isn't clear. I've only seen one study that fibre had no effect on constipation with a small group of people, but that's not representative enough and doesn't say whether it's bad. Also there's a lot of quackery out there and it's impossible for the layman to know who to trust.

My problem is the slow transit of hard stool, which can often have the effect of rectal bleeding (sorry to be graphic, but we're all adults). It's not really a viable situation. For all the health benefits of eating low carb, this is one area that has taken a step back since I'venever had these problems in my life. I'd rather not have to rely on eating supplements just to have healthy movements, food should provide IMO. This is an issue i've had for a while and it's not something that can continue.
Hi
I had problems with constipation when I first started with LCHF. That's despite having home-made muesli every morning containing nuts, flaxseed and chia seed. I was then given advice by @bulkbiker that magnesium citrate was a good option and I have taken them ever since (2x 200mg daily), with the desired results. They are supposed to be good for you anyway. The other thing is to drink lots of water.

Reactions: Speedbird

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because he will tell me to eat sensibly and eat more fibre

But the choice is ultimately yours.

I mentioned seeing a doctor in case there are additional issues contributing to your problems as well as your diet. Any bleeding and change in bowel habits should be investigated rather than making assumptions regarding its cause

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
a large teaspoonful of flax seed soaked in water overnight did the trick for me while i was on metformin.

nounou74

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If this can help, my gastroenterologist gave me this and I must say it really saved my life... definitely a before and an after with this ! What I am worrying about is to know if it is well carb free? This is not truely a laxative. I can't really explain in English, what I can say is that it is very efficient and you feel so well after a few days/weeks with it ! I found it on this website, without knowing it, just to show you. I buy it in France usually. https://www.moncoinsante.co.uk/spag...es-boite-de-20-sachets-doses.html#description

ghost_whistler

This is such a difficult subject because if it weren't for this I'd be ok. I've been losing weight and am now at 72.6 kg - just under 11stone which is really good news. Hopefully I might make my ideal weight (near enough) by christmas which would be ideal.

I appreciate the recommendations, but these supplements contain ingredients I've no wish to use, which is a shame. I don't klnow why we need to 'sweeten' everything as a society but that's the norm unfortunately. Also that includes bicarb of soda which, to my udnerstanding, is not good for the gut bacteria.

The issue of fibre seems entirely subjective. There are people who swear blind either way that it is good/bad for you and the evidence seems to reflect that. For some it's healthy, for others it isn't. I don't know which side I'm on; last week my movements weren't so bad. This week it has been different. Tuesday wasn't too bad, bt until today it has been uncomfortabel. I eat breakfast this morning and felt a bit 'heavy', iykwim, but didn't produce a movement for a couple of hours during which i went for a walk but felt uncomfortable. I was even reluctant to go out fearing i might be caught short!

Prior to this woe, which in all other respects seems simple and healthy, i went every morning around 8-30 am almost to a fault. And when i did i wasn't sat waiting, even pushing, to produce anything. THat's not quite the case now; I feel i have to push a little (not too much, except on the odd occasion), as transit is slow and stiff. I have yet to try increasing fibre and will only do that as a last resort because having to rely on fibre supplements is not what i want to do given they are difficult to incorporate on a LCHF and more importantly because they are expensive. Last time i tried, i had a flaxseed muffin, and felt rough afterwards.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Like I said before - a meal that includes brussel sprouts and rhubarb works wonders.