1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

control-iq getting stuck at 12bg

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Angusc, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Angusc

Angusc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hi
    just started on t-slim-x2 and control-iq and after 2 days just about it got stuck at around 12 4am then bounce around 11-13 for a 4-6 hours then change insulin site and cartridge and it's still doing the same. normally on the prevoius medtronic 640 i'd just stick a temp basal of 1.8 units for 3hours and it would kick my body back into action but control-iq does not seem to have that functionally i'm in constant variable pain and and maybe my liver sensors get stuck at liking some lv of bg and try to keep it at that level. bolus's and small changes in basal do not seem to effect it. any ideas?

2. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Angusc many have found that basal levels from other pumps to not work well when moving to t:slim, I had to modify my basal levels. You have to turn control IQ off if you want to use temp basal. For illness many of us have set up another profile with % different basal levels (20%, 50% .....) this way you can move to another profile but still keep CIQ operating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As @Chas C says you have the option of switching off Control IQ to use a temp basal.
    Within Control IQ you can do a 2 hour extended bolus which can act like a temp basal.
    i.e. if your current basal is 1.0 units/hour then an extended basal of 2 units over 2 hours would double your basal for 2 hours. (Use 0% delivered now & 100% over 2 hours) Sounds complicated but it really isn't & you don't have to remember to switch Control IQ back on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you switch off control iq you can set a temp basal

Another way is to do an extended Bolus 1% now rest over 2 hours

Sounds if it’s consistent that you need to tweak your basal rates slightly. Just because you have the same rate for a previous pump doesn’t mean it’s correct for this one

It took me a few weeks of tweaking to get good control

I also found increasing the maximum hourly basal limit helped so that control iq had more freedom to increase the basal rate

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chas C

So much more simple than a t:slim temp basal or other profile :)

6. Angusc

thxs all i'll try some of those suggestion's

7. Angusc

i doubt it basal as it a very steep rise from a flat line and is unaffected by bolus's and not time dependant. so unpredictable :( only happened 3 times so far

8. Chas C

Hi @Angusc

Are you aware of the dawn phenomenon - where BG's rise in the early morning, for most of us its anywhere between 4am and 8am. My basal has to rise from around 2am to cover it and it rises in my own case by 50% before falling back to my average level. Its the main reason I choose to move to a pump because I could not control it via injections.

9. Angusc

Yes it not dawn as it's at random times

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chas C

Apologies I'd missed it was random, I'm just about to change from 6mm to 9mm Autosofts due to similar issue I've been seeing.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook