cookbook

ally5555

can i also make a suggetsion - look at your favourite recipes and look at how u can adapt them - thats what I teach my clients to do!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm with you there, Ally.

There's hardly a recipe in any of my cookery books that couldn't be tweaked to become low-carb. Even no-no's can be replicated pretty easily, and often taste better too. Pureed cauliflower or celeriac beats mashed spuds, grated cauliflower makes a tremendous alternative to fried rice and even pasta can can be faked using parboiled thinly sliced courgette.

The challenge is half the fun.

All the best,

fergus

ally5555

fergus one of my challenges in live is to actually get people to cook!

It is alarming how many people cannot. i think the idea to have recipes on here is a good one

As I am also a sports dietitian I often run cooking workshops for development squads - i cannot believe how bad these kids are at cooking - one of my worst moments was watching a medical student! ccoking a bol sauce with the skin still on an onion. And u wonder why i have a problem with doctors giving diet advice!!! lol

At one squad session we asked kids to bring lunch and I did too . I had some wholegrain sandwiches, fruit , some chopped veggies, - the kids had cans of coke . quavers, and other **** - these were kids in sport competing at a high standard - there is no hope!!!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I think I will make a new thread ,which will be a 'sticky' at the top of the food forum so that you can all put your tried and tested recipes.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Done,will now stay at top of page and not get lost and forgotten.Fergus,your 'shepherds pie' and bread recipe would be good here!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK Sue,

I'll stick 'em up tomorrow. It's been a long day.

All the best,

fergus

katymac

doing good cooking is great sorry if im in wrong forum but have any of u lost 5 stone feel fed up want to eat what u shudnt eat feel depressed like me if u know different forum plz enlighten me thanx and dont mean to be rude but we all need help what however we feel abt being diabetic

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
You've lost 5 stone!!that's fantastic,no wonder you want to eat!!The trick now is to find things to eat that does not put your weight back on(been there,am doing that!!)Are you doing exercises as well?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi katymac,

You might be in the right place after all! I lost 4 stone 7 years ago, and it never came back, because I eat a diet that is low in carbohydrate, so that it requires relatively little insulin - the hormone that is primarily responsible for building fat stores. The beauty of it is that I can eat as much food as I need to feel hunger free, but the weight stays off.

Take a look around the forum, because I'm not the only one who has enjoyed success at this lark.

All the best,

fergus