Cooking With Coconut Flour

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am pretty keen on cauliflower cheese. As is beloved. So planning on cooking it Friday night. As carbs really don’t suit my BG, does anyone have any experience making a roux for a cheese sauce with coconut flour...or indeed any other low carb flour? Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Bingale1

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's how I do mine.

Cut cauliflower into florets and boil.

Fry onions in a very little oil until they just start to brown

Add sliced mushrooms and OODLES of butter. Add garlic if you want.

I use a square baking dish. Add the cauliflower, spoon the mushrooms and onions over.Add the melted butter.

Add grated cheese of your choice. Top with black pepper and or paprika. Bake in a hot oven until cheese has melted, bubbling and turning brown.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I really want to make a cheese sauce though and am looking for tips as to which flour to use.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto cheese sauce. Not looked at the ingredients.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bless you, did as you suggest, I have a recipe to try. Much appreciated.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What a coincidence! Cauliflower Cheese for tea tonight!!

This cheese sauce recipe originates from a TV chef - cannot for the life of me remember who!! I cannot take any credit!!

In a double - saucepan (or a basin in the top of a pan of simmering water) empty a carton of Creme Fraiche (full fat, of course)

Stir to loosen, season with salt & pepper. Add a spoon of English Mustard (helps the cheesiness)

Add grated cheese (about 100 - 150 grams) Stir occasionally until cheese melts/combines with the Creme Fraiche. If too thin, thicken with Xantan Gum - carefully!!

A bit calorie heavy but delicious with steamed or ROASTED cauliflower

Enough to serve 4.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bless you. Seems no one makes a sauce with flour. Learning curve: look up xantan gum, never heard of it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bless you. Seems no one makes a sauce with flour. Learning curve: look up xantan gum, never heard of it.

That’s why I like the Diet Dr recipe, no weird and wonderful ingredients!
Thank you for asking the question, I haven’t cooked this for a while, it’s going on next week’s menu plan now :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I can make a white sauce, I only do them for my husband now - cauliflower cheese is just cauliflower, steamed until soft, then covered in cream cheese and red Leicester cheese and kept warm until the cheese melts.
Low carb eating is so simple and delicious.
Having tasted the cheese sauce I make to put with macaroni for the DH, it is not something I would ever crave.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make mine without sauce. Just parboil the cauliflower, drain and add some double cream and then top with copious amounts of cheddar and some Parmesan before baking. Had some tonight, delicious.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on how low you want/need to go with carbs. I make cauliflower cheese with ordinary plain flour. The recipe uses 40g flour @ 70% carbs equals 28g divided by 3 people is 9.3g.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bg was decent this am following my cauli cheese and red wine meal last night so I think I will continue to make it as I always have done. Lovely to have so many replies, bless you all, and ideas for alternative recipes should I need them.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bg was decent this am following my cauli cheese and red wine meal last night so I think I will continue to make it as I always have done. Lovely to have so many replies, bless you all, and ideas for alternative recipes should I need them.
That's the wonder of the meter. We all react differently to various ingredients, it's lovely you can keep a favourite recipe.