Coronavirus - How at risk am I?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact that they have only now added pregnant women to the list of those at risk I find totally incredible they should have been first on the list and it should have been stressed from the start not added as an after thought .
The CMO did explain that they had no reason from China and elsewhere that there was a risk to newborn babies but it was a precaution.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm 70
I have asthma, myasthenia gravis, diabetes and I take an Immunosuppressant

This virus is virtually totally unknown it is more virulent than the flu virus and is now pandemic I shall not be carrying on as normal but will be taking precautions because one thing I know is if I do get it I will be lucky to survive it.

One thing I will be sure to do is stay away from any gym frequented by @Ushthetaff

And as having had to study cross infection in depth as part of my degree course I am not prepared to be
blase about it.

Quite right. Being blasé about it doesn’t last very long when you read the medical papers.

It’s a horrible virus. The more I read, the more horrible. It is not influenza. It is quite different & works in a different way, & worse.

Two things I have gathered from serious reading.

1) So far, it appears that the risk with diabetes comes from raised blood glucose levels & high chronic levels of glycated hemoglobin (what the HbA1c measurement is). High BG promotes bacterial infection & (as I understand it) also feeds viral infection too. (Any medics/biologists pls correct me if that’s wrong.) It slows healing too. That’s the principle behind sick-day rules.

But we are what we are. So my own policy for myself is that I will try to keep my BG under as good control as I can, meaning, work within what’s possible. That’s all we can do. I’m jolly well not going to freak out about it. But I am staying as far back as I can.

2) Once people get bad & need intensive care, it won’t be a picnic. Three weeks on a ventilator => we’re not looking at rosy prospects for recovery.

So, again, avoidance is very important.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three weeks on a ventilator => we’re not looking at rosy prospects for recovery.

Yes, assuming there is a ventilator available, and a hospital bed.
I have just learned how many of them are available in our local authority, and there won't be enough.

So I really do encourage people to take the precautions seriously.
No need for panic, or excessive fear, just a systematic, sensible adoption of the steps laid out by the government - whether distancing or isolation is the most appropriate for individual circumstances.

Reactions: LucySW

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Once people get bad & need intensive care, it won’t be a picnic. Three weeks on a ventilator => we’re not looking at rosy prospects for recovery.

Having been in that position before I don't particularly want to experience it again though I am now familiar with ICUs it doesn't mean I enjoy being in one.

So I am being as careful as possible I have not been out the door for at least a week and we are having shopping delivered.

Ada will now drop shopping off on door step in bags if you are in at risk group or self isolating and their drivers now wear gloves.

Last edited:

xenomorph2020

hi all
im type 1 without any complications apart from slight raised cholesterol.
currently have no flu like symptoms aged 32.

I got dentist appointment to finish off my 50% complete root canal this week but should I postpone due to covid19?
we getting mixed messages from sources some say if you got no complications you should not have serious reaction but if you do have complications then be more careful. others saying just having diabetes is high risk,

Last edited:

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fujifilm shares jumped up 15% in a single day, after the Chinese government has officially recommended the use of Fujifilm’s drug AVIGAN to fight the coronavirus. Link

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi all
im type 1 without any complications apart from slight raised cholesterol.
currently have no flu like symptoms aged 32.

I got dentist appointment to finish off my 50% complete root canal this week but should I postpone due to covid19?
we getting mixed messages from sources some say if you got no complications you should not have serious reaction but if you do have complications then be more careful. others saying just having diabetes is high risk,

Hi, I would call your dentist for advice and then go from there.
Good luck.

Reactions: xenomorph2020

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The fact that they have only now added pregnant women to the list of those at risk I find totally incredible they should have been first on the list and it should have been stressed from the start not added as an after thought .
I thought that the original figures from China showed that pregnant women were less at risk, but I may be misremembering.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They said it should be fine but Im a bit cautious of using the tube at the moment or bus so decided to postpone.
They wont say if it will affect my tooth or not by delaying.

If you're going at all you need to go now, as it's likely to be much more risky in a week or a month. Ask the dentist whether it's OK to wait for 4 months....

Reactions: xenomorph2020

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I thought that the original figures from China showed that pregnant women were less at risk, but I may be misremembering.

Well they are certainly on the at risk list now and as we just don't know if this virus is or how dangerously teratogenic it may be as many such as the flu virus are they belong there.

DT1127

Hello Henry. To put this into perspective, are you worried at the moment about getting the flu? As a seventeen year old you are very unlikely to catch coronavirus. You are much more likely to get flu!
People over the age of 60 are much more susceptible to coronavirus and so far there have been almost no cases in children and teenagers. I am over 60 and have a degree in medical microbiology. I am listening to the government scientists who have access to data and am ignoring all the scaremongering by people who really don't know what they are talking about. I really don't think you need to be worried but keep washing your hands so that you lessen the risk to other susceptible people.
Hi Dr S...I am a 45 year-old newly diagnosed T2 (12 months ago) managing my BG levels pretty well now...I have a Dexcom G6 to help monitor my levels. I have no other underlying health conditions and stay reasonably fit...just really concerned about Covid19 as the scaremongers always refer to Diabetes as an 'at risk' group...

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with listing diabetes as a risk factor is that there is a spectrum of diabetes. There are some Type 2 's on here with HbA1c lower than some non-diabetic's and then there are Type 2's we have heard about who are in denial and think that taking some tablets has fixed it. Type 1's no doubt have the same sort of variation. Short of giving everyone a personal assessment there has just been a blanket inclusion of diabetics. You will have to judge for yourself where you are on this spectrum and whether you are really at increased risk.
Hi Dr S...I am a 45 year-old newly diagnosed T2 (12 months ago) managing my BG levels pretty well now...I have a Dexcom G6 to help monitor my levels. I have no other underlying health conditions and stay reasonably fit...just really concerned about Covid19 as the scaremongers always refer to Diabetes as an 'at risk' group...

Reactions: Rich92

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As with the lady who died in Bali her condition was just given as diabetes no mention of what type of diabetes at all.