JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To the best of my knowledge, young people are just as likely to get infected as any other age grouo, just less likely to have more than mild symptoms.
Hence much more likely to infect others!

And that is why my grandson is hesitant about returning home from University at the moment out of concern for me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personally think the government is waiting for herd immunity to happen and just accepting a lot of us will become ill and many die before that happens

Mind you we gained herd immunity to the flu virus did we not yet people still get it as we have to deal with new strains when they crop up that's what viruses do in order to survive herd immunity they change.

But for the most part our immune systems will cope with it though not every one has a fully functioning immune system.

And as for it being dangerous only to the elderly and those with underlying conditions well diabetes is one and it tends to weaken the immune system.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The problem with Covid19 'herd immunity' versus flu (or other disease) is that there is already some evidence that recovery both means heart/lung damage plus no immunity people left permanently severely weakened plus its though people have been re-infected. This is not unexpected since another corona virus (MERS) is known to convey no immunity - people get it more than once!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That is because they tend to have milder symptoms, so they never get tested!

But we don't actually know that, I may have milder symptoms or not show any symptoms at all.
I am in the at risk group, but will I get tested, no !!

Can you show links regarding younger people and their risk of being diagnosed or their risk to other's?
TIA

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A newborn is believed to be the youngest person in the UK to have caught coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/newborn-believed-to-be-youngest-coronavirus-patient-in-the-uk-11957372

As this virus is so new no one can know what the longer term effects and complications may be the seasonal flu can have effects that last long after the flu infection has passed.

And even in the young we have no idea how much damage may have been done to the immune system with the flu people can be more vulnerable to other infections for weeks or months after recovering from the flu.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But we don't actually know that, I may have milder symptoms or not show any symptoms at all.
I am in the at risk group, but will I get tested, no !!
If people without symptoms are going to be tested they could get infected the day after the test, so are you suggesting the whole population is tested every day? Even when they have ramped up the testing to 10,000 a day some people will need to have priority and having symptoms seems a good reason.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If people without symptoms are going to be tested they could get infected the day after the test, so are you suggesting the whole population is tested every day? Even when they have ramped up the testing to 10,000 a day some people will need to have priority and having symptoms seems a good reason.

You know full well I did not suggest the 'whole population, so moving on ..................................:rolleyes: :stop:

Reactions: Tophat1900

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking as a T1 I feel our condition and approach to life often puts us in a position where we say things others struggle with.

Regarding "our condition." Please don't tell me this is some form of justification or excuse?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regarding "our condition." Please don't tell me this is some form of justification or excuse?
No it’s not justification or an excuse. But along with everything else type 1 changes in our lives I believe it changes our mindset and approach to challenges in life. A “ bad day at the office “ for me can result in me saying and posting comments that fellow T1’s maybe be able to relate to, whereas those not ever having experienced a “ bad day at the office “ may not be able to relate to. Of course this works both ways. I often see and hear comments that I feel should be censored or questioned but try my best to accept the comments as being others comments and not mine.

lindisfel

Expert
Oh dear, that's worse odds than Russian Roulette for me!
:)
D.

I don't think there are any positives. A risk is a risk. As you say, we should be taking all the recommended precautions. There's a very good Youtube video of an English guy living in China who has had this virus and has now been in quarantine for 40 days. I found it very interesting if only to see the stages. It would seem that pneumonia is the final stage. It's at

As the chart shows, youngsters are at less risk, it's no consolation when you have pneumonia and struggling for breath. I had bronchial pneumonia in my 20s and I'd rather not have it again.

View attachment 39330

Source: WHO and the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, that's worse odds than Russian Roulette for me!
:)
D.

Treatments that seem to work are chloroquine (a cheap malarial drug), Gilliad's remdesivir with interferon-beta (in clinical trials from COV-19), plasma from recovered patients, and a steroid (methylprednisilone). Doctors in US are now using remdesivir off-label...
SARS-CoV2 attacks pneumocytes in lung, intestine, heart & cells lining blood vessels. In lung, CoV2 prevents cells from making biological detergents to keep lung passages open. Acute respiratory distress follows. O2 levels fall..but there's may be a dangerous underlying process..
..new work out of China yesterday says COVID-19 might also involve abnormal blood production. CoV genes 1 & 8 are predicted to interfere with heme, the red compound in blood, by kicking out the iron. Would explain why chloroquine seems effective as a treatment #CoronaVirusUpdate
Chloroquine is predicted to prevent orf1ab, ORF3a and ORF10 from attacking heme (red in red blood cells) and inhibit the binding of ORF8 to heme. Although 99% of the virus is seemingly stable, what's disturbing is ORF 1 and 8 are mutating the fastest...
..Positions nt28144 in ORF 8 and nt8782 in ORF1 are evolving. Samples out of China show they'd mutated 30.53% (29/95) and 29.47% (28/95), respectively. I'm currently figuring out why these are the ones mutating and how that would change the situation...
It may explain why diabetics and elderly are more susceptible. Blood sugar levels usually increase as we get older, increasing the amount of glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) (I've tweeted about this before). The authors suggest these people would be more susceptible to because...
...the virus could more easily disrupt the heme in red blood cells. If so, the virus is very smart: it destroys the lung so patients can't take up oxygen AND reduces the body's ability to carry oxygen. (For this & other reasons, you should eat healthily the next 2 years)...
These ideas are testable. COVID-19 should correlate with HbA1c levels (seems true). Patients should have abnormalities in heme/porphyrin & they might have higher levels of free iron in tissues & blood.

Source: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread...EdTS-qTfKi8jPPpkdVYHZgFm9rAKRlVeVYX-52xSgXm_s

lindisfel

Expert

They should be tested regularly if they are in the group that has vulnerable contacts in the at risk groups, they will know at least they haven't been the vector who killed their grandad or grandma with their subclinical symptoms.

I do wonder Mr Pot, why you seem to be such an apologist for the State?
D.

lindisfel

Expert
I do agree, those in the at risk groups that die, could have lived on for a decade or decades, managing their condition.

The rider comment to their death from coronavirus, is that they had an underlying health condition, is trotted out and it seems, as if it was a normal course of irreversible events in their case, I don't like hearing it.
D.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They should be tested regularly if they are in the group that has vulnerable contacts in the at risk groups, they will know at least they haven't been the vector who killed their grandad or grandma with their subclinical symptoms.

I do wonder Mr Pot, why you seem to be such an apologist for the State?
D.
Some people on here are making totally impractical demands which suit themselves rather than the common good. The suggestion that everyone should be tested regularly is impossible to achieve. I believe South Korea who are experts at this tested 12,000 people a day, at that rate it would take, 5,000 days to test the entire UK population ONCE. I am not an apologist for anyone but I think it is necessary to counteract the wild suggestions from keyboard "experts" with a little reality. If you have relatives who are at risk just keep away from them if you can, if you are tested OK one day you could be carrying the virus a few days later.

Reactions: becca59

lindisfel

Expert
Some people on here are making totally impractical demands which suit themselves rather than the common good. The suggestion that everyone should be tested regularly is impossible to achieve. I believe South Korea who are experts at this tested 12,000 people a day, at that rate it would take, 5,000 days to test the entire UK population ONCE. I am not an apologist for anyone but I think it is necessary to counteract the wild suggestions from keyboard "experts" with a little reality. If you have relatives who are at risk just keep away from them if you can, if you are tested OK one day you could be carrying the virus a few days later.
Straw man argument Mr Pots, nobody suggested everybody should be tested regularly.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Straw man argument Mr Pots, nobody suggested everybody should be tested regularly.
They should be tested regularly if they are in the group that has vulnerable contacts in the at risk groups
That sounds like it would be pretty much everybody to me, or are there large groups of people who don't know anyone who is old?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curiously if they do decide to use the blood serum from recovered people to help serious cases recover as has been mooted by a number of experts how will they know who those people are?

Obviously those who have been very sick will be known to them but it would be some time before they are well enough to donate and limited in quantities.

Those that recover well and quickly will be unknown to the authorities under the non testing rules (understandable due to limited resources). Will those who suspect they’ve had it be able to volunteer to donate and thus get tested that way? The additional bonus would be those people found to have recovered who have also donated can go back to normal and support those still distancing and isolating.