Correct way to do a basal check

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
My way works for my team. Protein doesn't impact me or any Ds I know in person. I've seen so many Ds go low bolusing for veg and fruit. Each to their own. I'm done on this topic. Fine what works for you and your team. Or change team or whatever.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
exactly. im not telling a person to go eat a pig. im saying have a couple of rasher and an egg and you will feel full and your bloods probably won't move. a serving of carrots won't impact. if you eat a field it will. but who is going to eat a field?

On a basal check you only miss one meal at a time so you shouldn't really need to eat, but as explained protein in the absence of carbs can raise bg levels and skew the results of any test.

Reactions: 2 people

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
On a basal check you only miss one meal at a time so you shouldn't really need to eat, but as explained protein in the absence of carbs can raise bg levels and skew the results of any test.

not in my experience of in the experience of any D i know in person, which is many. I'm just trying to put that across. Different strokes for different folks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
not in my experience of in the experience of any D i know in person, which is many. I'm just trying to put that across. Different strokes for different folks.

There's some people on the forum who follow a very low-carb diet (and have type 1 diabetes) and need to inject when eating protein meals, otherwise their postprandial bg levels would be raised, but if yours aren't then that is good and shows how different we all are.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am a lower carb, myself not very low carb.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that pretty much every fruit i have ever eaten has raised my BS, proteins raise my sugars but ~3 to 4 hours after eating them.

To do a basal check you have to ingest no food or drink that may impact the results of the test. To produce the best results you should be fasting.

With many people (especially those not on CGM) they say proteins don't impact blood sugars, but what is really happening is they aren't obtaining enough data points to notice. Even with a CGM detecting the effects of proteins is tricky as it typically raises the BS level such a small amount over such a long period (~1 mmol/l over 3 or so hours) that people claim it doesn't effect them, but it does. In everyday life this change may be negligible to many, but not all. And during a basal test this can pretty much destroy the accuracy of your results because the protein holds the sugars steady making it seem like everything is spot on, when in reality it should have dropped those 1-2mmol/l.

Its always best to FAST for basal tests. Fasting is no food at all, for at least 6-8 hours during the period you want to test, sometimes this involves skipping meals.
As adults, this lack of food won't kill us, and knowing we have generated quality results is more then worth it in my books!

Also- Doctors are not always correct. No offence, but anyone can be a doctor, and just because a doctor used to be on their A game in med school does not mean that they are up to date with things today. Nice people can be poor doctors, and vice versa, so never judge a persons professional skill with their personal skills haha

Reactions: 7 people