Correction dose

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How do you work out a correction dose as the other day my levels were 12.9 and I took 2 units and after two hours they were 5.7 in not confident in doing correction my diabetic team are **** and won’t help me

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How do you work out a correction dose as the other day my levels were 12.9 and I took 2 units and after two hours they were 5.7 in not confident in doing correction
emoji17.png
my diabetic team are **** and won’t help me

Your diabetic team are supposed to give you a correction ratio - eg 1 unit brings you down by 2mmol/L. This varies from person to person and can even vary by time of day, so we're really not allowed to recommend dosages on here - though the figures you've given above suggest that 1 unit brings you down by 3.5 (rounding down from 3.6 to nearest half unit) … Having said that, you don't state your type of insulin so I don't know how much more those 2 units would bring you down after that 2 hours....

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
How do you work out a correction dose as the other day my levels were 12.9 and I took 2 units and after two hours they were 5.7 in not confident in doing correction my diabetic team are **** and won’t help me

Well from the above you know that 2 units has dropped you 7mmol (assuming there were no external influences) so 1 unit is correcting you by 3.5 mmol.

I'm afraid that it can vary. If my blood sugars are high (in the teens) then I need a higher ratio of insulin to get back down than if I was hovering around 10mmol. It comes with experience and learning how your body reacts.

Sorry, nothing is straight forward with insulin. Test often and keep a record

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 1 unit to drop 3 mmol/L but when I do a correction I always try to be on a safe side and I have a half unit pen which I think helps. You will learn from trial and error :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We are all different. I hv to use 10 novarapid units to come down 3mmol/ml. However I'm an Insulin dependant type2.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That's not a clear cut question. They usually give you a starting point and then it has to be adjusted to fit you.
As someone similarly said before, if I am too high, say over 9, it takes more to bring it down than if I want to lower it from a 7.
Activity level also makes a big difference on how much I need, and night time I need a little less to correct.

It really is a learning curve on exactly how much and we don't always get it right. Trial and error as said before! Keep track of how you respond and you will learn!